Why Aren't You Contributing $$$ To This Site

Discussion in 'Guns, Actions, Stocks, & Barrels' started by 6and7mm, Mar 16, 2018.

Trader History (83)
  1. CubCouper

CubCouper Silver $$ Contributor

I've been actively involved in an assortment of net-based, forum-type communities since the 80's -- maybe longer than a lot of the viewers here have been alive. I've seen this same discussion a hundred times on communities as diverse of portrait photography, cyber security, travel (b)logs (before the term blog was invented), Alaskan bush planes, etc. The general life cycle of any forum progresses from a small group with a common interest to an valid, active, vibrant community, -- and then the death march starts as the founding members who've rehashed every topic they can think of forget that manners and etiquette still matter to the newbies. They can end up bashing the noobs until site is just a tired rehash of last decade's ideas. Engage, learn, educate, and enjoy -- regardless of whether it is the 4th or 400th time you've seen the question asked. Directing some new guy or old question to the search button is the old-timer's arrogance that leads to the eventual demise of the entire resource.

As to the 'Professional' sellers and traders: open your dang wallets guys -- not just the minimum required for a support badge! I see some folks here who clearly make a nice firearms-industry-related income by taking advantage of this marketplace. If you aren't contributing a percentage of your sales, you are cheating the site owner. This does not mean that every seller should be gold, or even a contributor, but to the extent that this site (or any other site) is a strategic part of your marketing plan, you ought to be paying for it, the same as you would have to pay for print media ads or auction site commissions. I like the gold/silver thing, kind of self reporting. If I sell something for personal profit, I contribute. If I help a friend's widow liquidate an estate, I donate my time and likewise graciously appreciate that this site has the traffic to create a fair market. I'd like to see another level for the pro sellers, manufacturers, and traders that commits a percentage, maybe X transactions or just maybe as a recognition of a private deal between the site owner and advertiser.

Rod

piute, NorCalMikie, odie and 3 others like this.
  2. Jay Christopherson

Jay Christopherson Administrator

The forum will notify you when it's time to renew your upgrade.

IdahoSharpshooter and Snuggie like this.
  3. rmr

rmr Gold $$ Contributor

I've been on some form of board like this since the ARPANET days. My favorite in the early 90's was rec.guns. good god I wasted a lot of company time on that BB. :) I've lurked on many a gun board over the years, most were worth neither my time or money.

for what its worth, this is probably the best balanced board I've ever been on. (rimfirecentral is pretty good too) some were amazing for a time, but either faded into the sunset or blew apart due to the disfunction. there may be better ones, but this is my favorite. in the time that I've been here...6years? it has been solid. lets keep it that way.

If you have the means, Please contribute. (99% of you can spare $25 a year)

4. ken158

ken158 Silver $$ Contributor

Thanks for the nudge... upgrade complete!

dogdude likes this.
  5. Doosky

Doosky

I just donated.
    However, I don’t use PayPal I didn’t see a place to enter how much I want to donate, and I was automatically charged $20. I must have missed something.

6. onelastshot

onelastshot Gold $$ Contributor

There are certain characters on this site that simply can't be embarrassed into contributing regardless of the pressure put on them. It's sad but some people can't appreciate the expense of operating a site like this, they simply don't care.

7. 69mach

69mach

I donated because this is a
    Wonderful site and there is a gob of knowledge to be had here. I’m also of a crowd that thinks no one knows how to spend their money better than they do and it’s kinda off putting for people to degrade someone for not donating to something that someone else thinks they ought to.
    Should I look down on someone that has 3 times the trader history of me and is still only a silver status member because they are not a gold member? Where does it end?
    I’m ok with the site owner going to a mandatory donation but that is solely their decision and everyone else should mind their own business. With summer coming less talking more
    Shooting

8. jimbires

jimbires Silver $$ Contributor

this thread is starting to read like telemarketing 101 . pressure and embarrassment to pay up ? SMH

LHSmith, 300_whisper and odie like this.
  9. BenPerfected

BenPerfected Gold $$ Contributor

This site is run as a business, if you don’t see the value it is probably time to move on.
    Ben

IdahoSharpshooter and dogdude like this.
  10. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Gold $$ Contributor

We not only support the site owner with a donation, but each other.

CT10ring likes this.
  11. jimbires

jimbires Silver $$ Contributor

well Ben , I think I will .

LHSmith likes this.
  12. 1lessdog

1lessdog

I have been a member for a few months now. This is what I was thinking. I have lots of stuff that I wont use ( and I'm sure other people do to ). I will start a topic and when the item sells the buyer will be responsible for sending the funs to the appropriate person. I think this could turn into a very good proposition for the site.

Lets hear some feed back on this. It may not be great items but its a start

I dont know where 2014 came from but heck I will take it.

13. Judd

Judd

I'm fine and good with the donation...heck I did it but I did request to not have the banner. I don't like the public shaming or the pressure to donate that folks push on others (like this post). If it is someone who doesn't want to do business with folks who don't donate then it was someone I don't want to do business with. Much like throwing money in the plate at church...your business is your business and mine is mine. I'm not a fan of the pressure and I won't do it to others.

Just because you don't donate on the site doesn't make your knowledge or contribution to this site any less valuable.

My 2 cents...worth exactly what you paid for it. ;)

14. argrendel

argrendel Silver $$ Contributor

How about instead of running our firearm brothers off the site, let’s hear from the admin. What do you need to keep going? How can we help?

15. piute

piute Silver $$ Contributor

This is one of the best statements made!
    QUOTE="tmwinds, post: 37180293, member: 1281576"]To me it's not about the classifieds. I would make my contribution to this site even if the classifieds didn't exist. If you want to improve your shooting experience this forum is the one.:)[/QUOTE]

I donate much time, effort and items to persons wanting to learn not just shooting, but archery, fishing and other outdoor sports. It seems now days that there are many people that just can’t enjoy any ride without opening their mouths and sticking their nose in others business and telling them what they should do!
    I have made donations without looking for recognition and do not feel that anyone should be pressured into feeling obligated because some over bearing loud mouth thinks so! Everyone has different circumstances and priorities in life, so get over yourself. This is not directed to anyone specific, but the new entitled society that thinks only they’re correct. So if you and Rosie O’donnell are offended maybe the foo shits!
    My 2cnt’s worth, OK maybe it’s a nickle!

LHSmith, odie and Judd like this.
  16. IdahoSharpshooter

IdahoSharpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

jimbires,

we will miss you...

17. OmegaRed

OmegaRed Silver $$ Contributor

I would suggest having lower tiers with hierarchy of restrictions. Do a $5 donation for a 1 month membership. Sometimes people want to sell a few items, but have no use in the year. People don't bat an eye at a cup of coffee, but $20 is $20. That being said, I've learned more from this site about reloading and BR in general in one concentrated spot than I did with multiple other sources. YMMV

18. 6fatrat

6fatrat SLING SHOOTER Silver $$ Contributor

Easily the best shooting site out there.
    Thank you
    Steve Bair

New Gun likes this.
  19. Nomad11

Nomad11

Good E-Mail!
    Even though I haven't sold anything on this site, I do get a lot of good information from it. I am going to become a silver contributor right away.
    Thanks for standing up for the right thing!
    Paul

New Gun likes this.
  20. New Gun

New Gun Gold $$ Contributor

I have gained so much knowledge from this site. This information came free from the members here. I donate because I can and want to support the best site on the web!!!