Why are the private ranges closing?

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by WIB3, Apr 5, 2020.

1. WIB3

WIB3

I understand the concept of social separation, in fact I’m all for it. But why are private outdoors shooting facilities closing. I thought that outdoor activities were acceptable as long as a 6’ separation was maintained. I being an adult with a sound mind and normal intelligence have no problem with the current social situation. I can walk my dogs in a park, but I cannot shoot my guns. Just is a little odd because when I shoot there are not normally anyone around me. There are more people in the park wanting to pet my dogs.

2. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

When I read "private" I think like where I go - a private property with only the owner to speak with. There would not be any open or closed or anyone to say anything about it.

Now you might be thinking a public range run by some municipality, state or county. The few around here are all open as the federal and state governments have classified them as essential businesses.

3. barnabus

barnabus

political correctness nothing more

Idaho-Lefty, ED3, KMart and 5 others like this.
  4. jpx2rk

jpx2rk

They have closed the dog parks, skate parks, etc., and city parks in the larger city in my area. State parks are closed, and GSNP has been closed for maybe 2 weeks. Pigeon Forge/Sevierville/Gatlinburg area was running ads for people to stay away due to the this virus. I was shocked that the Pigeon Forge/Sevierville/Gatlingburg area did that. They have showed some film clips on the local news, Gatlinburg was a ghost town, where it normally is bumper to bumper/cheek to cheek during this time of year.

I belong to a private gun club, but haven't been in close to 10 days. It was crowded with fellow old farts, but we all kept our distance. Wife thinks I should "stay" home like the govnor "suggests" everyone in TN do.

tmwinds, hogpatrol and 338 dude like this.
  5. Warren Dean

Warren Dean Team Savage F-T/R Silver $$ Contributor

More like being cautious....

6. 243Mendoza

243Mendoza

CYA which is the main task of a bureaucrat.

Idaho-Lefty, SWRichmond, ED3 and 2 others like this.
  7. Shooter13

Shooter13 Gold $$ Contributor

Guys, until someone in your family DIES its all hype, I don't agree that we need to close the country down but do agree we need to be cautious. People die every day, but this is a pandemic not a common cold. I'm having "eating out" withdrawal.

8. PhilKeil

PhilKeil Gold $$ Contributor

I have a hard time with it as well.
    While I understand possibly for competitions.
    But I don't understand complete closing as most of the time at the range there is not a sole there.
    The sign posted at the range I belong to says their legal team made the decision to close. I know most of the membership is upwards in age and I am sure that was a factor. But to completely close is a bit of overkill.

9. INTJ

INTJ Gold $$ Contributor

Closing a private range defies logic when they let a golf course stay open. The members only portion of my local range has a 20 bench 200 yd firing line and I am usually there by myself. Sometimes I'll see one or two other shooters. Social distancing is no issue, and we do that even when there isn't a pandemic.

We live in a CYA society, and that drives a lot of sub optimum behavior at all levels.

Mark W, iron308, Down South and 4 others like this.
  10. JSH

JSH

This is a private club, you pay dues and they have regular meetings with a BOD?

I have to ask, when did you last attend a meeting?

This isn’t intended to make anyone mad, nor is it directed at the OP.
    Being on the BOD for over 20 years now I hear such questions all the time. Yet if individuals would attend club meetings they would be in the know. Most of them don’t last more than 30-45 minutes. You belong to a club it is your responsibility to be involved.

The club I belong to is open. It is private. All events have been closed or canceled until further notice. It is open to members only with no guest.

11. daleboy

daleboy Gold $$ Contributor

Well said,thank you .

thedrifter likes this.
  12. ble16

ble16

i think you should be allowed to shoot. keeping distance maybe 12 ft also disinfect bench and anything else you touch
    before and after use

JSH and 338 dude like this.
  13. Joe Salt

Joe Salt Silver $$ Contributor

Walt your Governor is the one that shut everything down until April 30th. Vote for him again, like the ones in New York City Elected ours. Only reason our Governor is worried about the people in New York City is there votes.
    Oh and this stuff stays in the air for quit a while, there are Tigers in the Bronx zoo with the Virus so were did that come from. I want to shoot as much as the next guy, but I think I'll stay home till it goes the other way.

Joe Salt

dgeesaman and hogpatrol like this.
  14. USMCDOC

USMCDOC

apparently from the caretaker according to the news article

15. Downhill

Downhill Gold $$ Contributor

Our club has closed until May1st. As a program director I have had a few calls about the closing. We have a group of older shooters, Benchrest guys, longrange black powder shooters and a few old bullseye pistol guys. They drink more coffee and B.S. more than they shoot. Being in the age group that seems to be at a higher risk from the WuFlu, I do not have a problem with the temporary closure. Would much rather keep those old farts around and get the occasional bit of advise from them.

Ms 7MM-RAHM and JSH like this.
  16. rkittine

rkittine Gold $$ Contributor

Thankfully at my age and with my medical issues, it appears that I got a very mild case of Covid19, but I still have been fighting it for over two weeks now. This is nothing to take lightly.

Bob

Don likes this.
  17. Papa Charlie

Papa Charlie Gold $$ Contributor

I believe the reason for the private ranges, and by private I mean clubs where you have to be a member to shoot, is not just because of social distancing. It is also do to the surfaces that could pick up the virus and then pass it along as others touch the same surface. Surfaces could be the door handles, benches, log in books, bell and light switches for making the range safe, target frames, and possible shared weapons.

I am not happy about the situation either but I understand the crisis and the need to take action.

Evan, Big_Daddy and jpx2rk like this.
  18. Joe Salt

Joe Salt Silver $$ Contributor

USMCDOC Did it say he had physical contact or just from the food, this is what they don't know about this stuff still guessing I believe.

Joe Salt

19. Chuckhunter

Chuckhunter Gold $$ Contributor

Sorry to hear of your health issues, sending a prayer for a speedy recovery. I'm a few months shy of 70 and have a diminished immune system due to a medication I need so I'm certainly not taking this lightly. I know your state has been hit extremely hard, I hope things start to turn around soon. Take care.

20. JSH

JSH

I won’t knock what decision is made by different clubs, as they are all different. The BOD is looked upon as a bunch of range police at times. I have a hard time making the point to some members that the decisions made are not personal and may not be popular. Reminding folks on the board that this is business, period. If you can’t go in with a neutral thought as about what is best for the club as a whole, you need to gracefully bow out.

It is a sad state of affairs when the general monthly meeting goes on and there is a half dozen or so members out of 500 show up.

When this whole thing passes get involved!
    Don’t wait to be asked for help, make the offer.
    With shut downs of the club as a whole let alone events, you may see some financial issues. Once behind it is hard to catch back up.
    It takes a fair bit just in operating expenses to keep the lights on and basic maintenance.

Done with my harping on the subject.
    Y’all be safe and sanitary.

Lol, I don’t want to hear anything about dirty or fouled bores or no ammo later this summer;-)