Why all the deleted posts lately ?

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by mikeeg02, Jul 4, 2018.

1. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Michael Glantz Silver $$ Contributor

I saw a thread got brought back to the top this morning. And when I went back through to read some of it again I saw a member had deleted several of their posts. I've seen this more often now. Are people afraid that someone might refer to that again ? Worried that someone could disagree with their statement ? What gives ?

2. Someoldguy

Someoldguy Silver $$ Contributor

I was not a participant in the thread you've referred to (I don't think), but on occasion I have decided that I was not interested in the direction a thread went and removed my posts.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but sometimes I just decide it isn't worth the trouble and bow out.

YMMV.

Bc'z, hogpatrol, gambleone and 6 others like this.
  3. mikeeg02

I understand that. Sometimes it makes a thread hard to follow. When the discussion gets replies and things people were referring to removed. Also makes it hard to ask people to search and refer to old threads when the discussion is missing posts.

4. Someoldguy

Someoldguy Silver $$ Contributor

I just don't care to be involved if the thread deteriorates to condescending replies or unnecessary sarcasm. Thats just not necessary and unproductive.
    Folks want to carry on like that, OK. I'd be lying if I said I never behaved that way in the past. But not anymore.

Life's too short for bickering on the 'net .

Ccrider, Urv, hogpatrol and 10 others like this.
  5. mikeeg02

I agree. I try not to get involved in that. But I do like to learn and read about others experiences. Sometimes it makes me test things I wouldn't have otherwise thought of. And naturally I like to see everyone shoot better, and that's why I try to offer what experience I have. For better or worse. And sometimes I just can't remember what was said, and try to refer back to it.

6. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Could not have said it better. I have behaved that way as well. But I dont have the time for it anymore. I have decided to not be involved in those type of posts any longer. Im happy to exchange info, as soon as it gets stupid, Im out. Many have already stopped posting all together. As always, a pm, email, or call will get any advise I can offer.

Ccrider, Bc'z, Just Dave and 16 others like this.
  7. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

I have deleted posts which upon reflection (or discussion) I deemed incorrect or misleading. I don't want to adversely influence someone seeking to learn by searching old threads. I've also deleted off-color or irrelevant posts which I should never have submitted. If you never find yourself deleting one of your own posts, you may be more disciplined than I am.
    -

8. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER Gold $$ Contributor

I deleted the thread that I started a couple days ago in the ELR forum asking for rules & documentation specific to rifle weight and I even asked that the thread stay on topic & specific to the title. - There were a couple good replies and some information provided which I appreciated. - Then came along a bunch of conjecture and opinion on how much something should weigh and how some people were wanting to build rifles that weigh to much & on & on. - I deleted the thread last night. - Everyone has opinions but that wasn't what the thread was about, and things were starting to go a rye. - No need for this and I'm becoming very selective about any further posting for this reason. There's still good information posted on this forum and some very knowledgeable folks, but the drama & controversy have left me with a bad taste for the behavior issues & lack of respect.

9. #40Fan

#40Fan

I'm sorry for that, LA50Shooter.

dmoran likes this.
  10. mikeeg02

It just seemed like its becoming more of a trend lately. I appreciate the info that everyone posts on here. And I guess if people are taking things the wrong way, or any of it as gospel, thats their own mistakes for not thoroughly testing it themselves. People should know by now the internet is full of opinions, and none of it is in fact gospel.

But what it should do is inspire ideas and things to consider that may be outside of your original thinking.

And that I think is very, very useful, insightful, and sometimes inspiring. Thinking outside the box per say. Because the the thread that most recently I noticed some posts got deleted, I tried some custom bullets. They shoot great in one of my barrels with h4895. Not in the other two I have. They were inconsistent. Even with 3 powders, 3 primers, and every combination of them. Now I have more bullet options to try, and that I am thankful for because I was otherwise too stubborn to try anything else because I made what I had work, and well in my opinion. This year I have taken 1k paper more seriously, and the results are showing on paper. And I do appreciate what I have read.

dedeadeye likes this.
  11. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

To me I see it as a "passing of the guard"... sort to speak... to a new era.
    Many of the members who I can take there word as gold, for tried and proven results and experience, hardly ever post anymore. And when they do, like me, don't get very technical any more do to the "non testing assumption reloaders" who continually challenge and argue the input. There kings on the internet, but pawns in hands on. Assume it will work with out testing or proving anything. QuickLoad has made many Kings....

In the "new guard" we have a couple members that post on almost every thread, like there expert on every topic. While often I can go along with there inputs, just as often it seems there just wasting bandwidth.
    Also in the "new guard", a few who are in an argument in almost every thread they reply to, that obviously thrive to feud, more then anything else. Its like they have little love in there hearts except for themselves.
    And of course a couple that hijack many threads with nostalgia, who are stuck in the past and there old school glories, that have badly polluted many of great topics.

Okay, that's enough from me.... PS: I may delete this ;)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    trevort, swd, Ccrider and 25 others like this.
  12. dedeadeye

dedeadeye Gold $$ Contributor

Donovan, don't delete your post as you are spot on.
    Roger

Bc'z, Jimmy James and dmoran like this.
  13. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

He can’t delete it now! :D

270WinDude and dmoran like this.
  14. mikeeg02

Guess I better quote that before you delete it ;) haha.

Again, I do appreciate what I have read, and learned through you and other members on the forums. Because of what others have had success with, I have tried some new things. Though I do hesitate to post sometimes what I have experienced because of the ones you've explained yourself. Actually, I have found myself PM'ing members, rather then publicly making statements, because I truly want everyone to shoot better, and not to struggle. And if I think my advise could help, I offer it.

And I agree about the keyboard shooters, wasting bandwidth, steering people and threads the wrong way, etc. But at the same time, its the internet, and us as readers need to be able to distinguish facts from fiction, and things that interest us, we should test. At least thats how I do it.

I have learned a lot over the years from internet research. And in every case, you have to be able to reason through the bullsh!t, and test yourself things that seem like they could be plausible.

Milo 2.0, dedeadeye and dmoran like this.
  15. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

Understand. Even had a moderator do a nasty dissension on one of my opinions. Don’t take it personal. Just leave things alone, bow out and let it die down.

Always remember not to try and argue with a drunk or the mentally ill.

16. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

I have a few "experts" on ignore. It's a great filter. I never see their posts and it makes following a thread so much easier.

17. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

18. mikeeg02

I haven't tried ignore. Because I think that would make it hard to follow a thread. But either way, sometimes even new shooters can remind us of things we've forgotten.

270WinDude and dmoran like this.
  19. Jtate

Jtate

Just my view as a member of the Silent Majority. It is imperative that the members with true first hand knowledge keep posting and replying to post, and for lack of a better term grow a thick skin. The internet is full of keyboard narcissistic tough guys banging away from their mommy's basement. We know in short order whom has cattle, and who only has a big hat and buckle. I do not have internet friends or enemies it is not personal or social. It is a tool to help me with my shooting and reloading, and once in while I may try to help someone else out.

trevort, SPJ, Bc'z and 6 others like this.
  20. jobhopper66

jobhopper66 Gold $$ Contributor

I personally hope Donovan Moran never stops posting and sharing his knowledge, real world proven knowledge not unfounded opinions. He was one of the first members I was drawn to when I joined this site.
    Thanks,
    Ray

SPJ, Bc'z, LarryDScott and 6 others like this.