Why 6 BRA?

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by Curious, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

You know @tom could answer that better than me. He's pretty good at keeping notes.

dedeadeye and ridgeway like this.
  2. Nature Boy

Nature Boy

Or the Manzier

3. Grimstod

Grimstod Machinist, Designer, and Shooter. Gold $$ Contributor

You i have been thing this in my head since i first heard it called the Bro

Nature Boy likes this.
  4. BT1

BT1 Gold $$ Contributor

Just checked the lands on my first bra and they moved a total of 0.004 after approximately 400 rounds. Have not shot too many 10 shot strings but shooting LG 5 shot strings in about 10 to 12 seconds. Compared to several Dasher barrels that move almost twice that.

boltfluter, Jet, Grimstod and 2 others like this.
  5. Grimstod

Would you say the longer neck is the cause of this or just using a smaller amount of powder?

6. BT1

BT1 Gold $$ Contributor

Likely a bit of both. Steve

Grimstod likes this.
  7. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

Count me in the latter. I believe barrel wear is a function of heat and duration, aside from barrel attributes. I may be wrong but all I've seen in regard to this is theoretical. I would like to be proven right or wrong by something more scientific, though.

6MMsteve and daleboy like this.
  8. Terry Altom

Terry Altom Silver $$ Contributor

I agree with you for sure. For me, it's easy to make sense out of both views. I'd like to see a real study by metallurgical standards tell us the truth.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  9. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

Chuck,

As it relates to throat advancement (lands touch point), yes it is slower growth with the BRA. As it relates to the barrel seeming to loose a step, I couldn't give an answer with any certainty. It seems when I get a good barrel, with either chamber, it will shoot, stay shooting, stay in tune without changing the load every day, stay shooting for over 1000 rounds, stay shooting even if the throat advances 2 thousands in every relay, stay shooting even if I screw up.

When I don't get a good one, they tend to shoot really good on Friday, but sometimes forget what their job is on Saturdays and Sundays, and seem to loose whatever edge they had 500-700 rounds.

I can keep all the notes in the world, but each one is individual. Seems the last couple years I've been seeing them lose it sooner. The first BRA did a little better, but it seems to have lost a bit towards 900 ish rounds.

Tom

10. JohnMill

JohnMill Gold $$ Contributor

Now you're just being sirry

Nature Boy and BartsBullets like this.
  11. 4xforfun

4xforfun Gold $$ Contributor

Stirring the pot....but......since brass is considerably softer than steel, and the melting point of brass is considerabley less, also, wouldn't we see erosion in the brass necks?

Tod

12. Sheldon N

Sheldon N Silver $$ Contributor

Wouldn't the erosion be spread out over all pieces of brass? If you had 100 cases, the amount of erosion in any one case would be 1/100 of the amount of throat erosion?

Raythemanroe likes this.
  13. Alex Wheeler

Im not an expert on how a throat erodes. However I picture it like an oxy/acy torch effect. Cant cut brass with a torch, but you can melt it. Either way, throats do move slower in the BRA, not that thats very important to me. Its all about accuracy and agging ability. Thats why Im such a fan of the case. All you have to do is chamber 50 dashers and 50 BRAs and get the feed back. It will be clear as day.

4xforfun, RV6 and nakneker like this.
  14. 4xforfun

4xforfun Gold $$ Contributor

Maybe.....but you didn't take into account that brass is much softer and has a much lower melting point, which means it should erode much faster than BBL steel. So, that 1/100th = ....What?

Tod

15. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer

Then again, brass isn't getting to temps a barrel does running ten - twenty rounds in a few minutes.. Well, unless you are a fast reloaded..

Ray

16. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

...and won't all of that abrasive powder that hits the neck, at the "convergence point", make the necks really thin? Better stop cutting "thin to win", and make them thick as a brick. No need to anneal...Brass hasn't been work hardening....It's been losing neck tension as it wears thinner. Just drop down on bushing size and sell the annealer.

Ya'll help me out here. I'm running out of ideas that support the theory of shoulder angles and neck lengths saving barrels. Lol! Who knows? Maybe they're right but I'm gonna keep believing that heat and duration are the main culprits..until they test some 180° shoulders. Now THAT just might save barrels. Lol!

17. Alex Wheeler

Convergence point is one idea. Barrel life is so far down the list of things I think about I dont have a firm opinion on it either way. All I know is they do move slower in the BRA than a dasher, I doubt its the 1.2 grains less powder making the difference but who knows.

18. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

Or better yet, someone figure out WHY it shoots better. I know it's not strictly capacity because I've been there before and went right back to dashers.

Tom

Alex Wheeler likes this.
  19. Grimstod

My Guess is that because it has a longer neck the donought zone is far enough back that bullets do not get seated into it. Mike Ratigan attributed this cause alone to be the reason the 6PPC shoots so well.

20. Grimstod

I have seen a lot of loaders that do. They just do not know any better. BRA is dummy proof ;)