Who sells once fired Military 7.62 (308) brass?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Shaggy357, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Shaggy357

Shaggy357

I have been kicking around a couple of projects in my head for several years now. I would like to buy a large quantity of Military 308 brass so I have a good chance of same lot to reduce variance. I do not want something that someone has cleaned, polished, sorted, etc. I am looking for the guy who purchased the One Ton box from the surplus department and is willing to sell a 5 gallon bucket of brass and make a few bucks. I prefer to do all of the sorting, cleaning, etc.

Does anyone know of someone who goes onto the surplus sites and buys up the military brass from the bases? I don't need a barrel or several ton box, I just need a bucket or so and am willing to help someone recoup a few bucks by pitching in for a bucket or so......anyone?

Thanks,

Steve :)

2. alb

alb Silver $$ Contributor

If you're describing a commercial entity, Monmouth Reloading.

3. crash

crash Gold $$ Contributor

4. skiutah02

skiutah02 Gold $$ Contributor

5. jlow

jlow

What makes you think that they would be from the same lot? I would guess that it would be even difficult to be sure that the ammo itself is all from the same lot, and the brass would be yet another level removed since it's all gathered together from all over and just combined together...

6. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

When you go to pick it up its in a dumping hopper, sold as scrap, loaded with a skid steer bobcat. If you win the auction you sign a couple forms saying you wont export it or use it against the US- end use certificate. Its all sold on that govt auction site now and you can pick it up at various disposal sites around the country. Its also cooked to make sure theres no live rounds left. Not counting the damage you cant see from the furnace about 95% is mechanically damaged in some way. The current administration doesnt want you to have it

7. Hummer

Hummer

8. Hummer

Hummer

Jeff Bartlett at gibrass.com lists it. "Cooking"???? did not know that was done. Cookoffs occur about 410° so...................................

9. dantiff2

dantiff2

10. Hummer

Hummer

If you are going to get a bunch of brass shot in MGs you might consider a FL die from L.E. Wilson and a arbor press to process it.

11. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Silver $$ Contributor

Please include a 308 small base sizer in your purchase of machine gun brass. You size it down, it "normalizes", then expands back out at various amounts. So, if you intend to shoot it in a match chamber afterwards, be aware of web dia issues.

12. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

13. impalacustom

impalacustom

I have used LC 7.62 in making 6.5CM and have zero problems, I don't use a small base die or anything special. It requires some work to get it into good stuff, but I'd not even think twice about buying more. I'd guess that about 90% of all of surplus brass not NM marked has been shot out of M240B's. I've had virtually zero problems with any of it, web, primer pockets, or anything. I know someone who turns it into 35 Remington as well and it shoots great out of my Model 8 and is just as good as factory 35 Remington brass.

14. Shaggy357

Shaggy357

Thanks for the info folks. I will make some contacts. I had some contacts at Joint Base Lewis-McCord and they confirmed their ammo was pulled out in case lots at a time and were usually policed and dumped in one salvage container. They said the whole container certainly wouldn't be the same, but generally if you were digging in the top or the bottom you could get a good supply of same headstamp. Getting from them tho took winning the bid on a surplus auction. Most of their auctions were for boxes that were to big to even fit in my truck.....Thanks again....

Steve :)

15. waldo1979

waldo1979

I picked up a few hundred XM118LR boxes from CMP years ago. I've been using the brass which is LC long range. It's a great metallurgy but definitely needs work to bring it into concentricity.

I've also had good luck with brassman brass out of Oregon.

16. Barry Mogus

Barry Mogus

i have 500 new LC 77 NM and 4300 once fired LC NM 88 and 89
    Barry

17. IdahoSharpshooter

IdahoSharpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

I got lucky about four years ago. A chance came up to buy from a multi-PD range. All LC 06/07/08 and fired from bolt rifles. Paid 4-cents a round for 4000+ rounds and got the shipping thrown in. The lady offered me about that much 223 brass all shot in AR's for 3-cents a round shipped. It was a good month...

18. Dave Brown

Dave Brown