Who do you recommend for a 30br build?

Discussion in 'Big Stuff--7mm, 30 Cal, .338+' started by chevytruck_83, Dec 4, 2018.

1. chevytruck_83

chevytruck_83

Im seriously considering having my fn spr chambered for the 30br but it seems to me like it’s 2 totally different ends of the spectrum. 30br naturally being the Benchrest crowd and the fn spr being somewhere between old school and tactical. I’ve found companies that are familiar with doing high pressure cartridges in the spr but not specifically the 30br. When I research the 30br it seems like that crowd is the old school pioneer Benchrest guys that don’t have a very good website. I don’t want to waste anyone’s time but I also don’t mind spending money for a properly built rifle. I realize this may be an odd request so I have no issue with a builder having it for a while to make sure it’s right. Even if it’s a rifle that doesn’t fit in any specific discipline other then for me to have fun shooting at my local range out to 300.

2. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Sounds like all you want to do is put a 30br barrel on? Call Bob Green. He’s a recommended Gunsmith on this forum and he’s one of the best. He does all my work. Call him. I’m headed for bed. His number is down in my shop. You can find it in the Gunsmiths list . Go to the home page and scroll down the left side of the page. You won’t find a nicer guy. You should find the barrel you want and have it sent to him. Send him your action only, if you pull your own barrels. If you don’t, call him and he’ll tell you what to do. Good luck. Josh

3. Phil

Phil

Ronnie Long

4. fm1947

fm1947

you'll need a bench rest flat bottom 3 inch wide stock, bolt action, single or repeater, a very light trigger in the ounces, best is jewel, I been shooting 30br about 6 years it's a very accurate round we only shot to 200 yards at our match, we did both 100 and 200 in one match, they shoot 1/4 moa and under all the time , i have never heard of a bad one, the most common reamer is the Robinette , you can look him up he's in this forum. Randy Robinette, I may not be spelling his name right.

gmorris likes this.
  5. chevytruck_83

chevytruck_83

I’m not necessarily looking to shoot in bench rest. I’m looking for the best combination of accuracy, low recoil, fast cycling and long barrel life to shoot 1,2 and 300 yards prone.

6. Evan

Evan Gold $$ Contributor

Have you considered a straight 6BR? Your description is basically the crib sheet for the 6BR.:)

7. chevytruck_83

chevytruck_83

I had a single shot before. I was under the impression the 30br would be easier to feed well from a magazine.

8. McGraw

McGraw Silver $$ Contributor

In the 6br forum right now, their talking about Jim Borden building a great action for magazine fed 6br type cases.
    I think it’s toward the last in the thread: 6Bra Build Opinions

9. GSPV

GSPV A failure to plan is a plan for failure.

The barrel life of the 30 BR is pretty amazing.

OTOH, you’d have a better winning combination with something like a 6 BR, a 6.5x47 Lapua, etc. A 223 wouldn’t be a bad option, either.

Dgd6mm likes this.
  10. searcher

searcher Gold $$ Contributor

Like a lot of guys (and gals) here, I shoot a 6PPC, 6BR, Dasher, 30 BR and many other "accuracy" rounds. I'd recommend going with a straight 6BR simply because of the tremendous flexibility in what you can do with it. One HUGE drawback in my own experience - is the limited choice in good bullets for the 30BR. Hey - maybe you get lucky with a few of the relatively good bullets out there - maybe not. Can't go wrong with the 6ppc for accuracy to 300, though they don't typically like shoot heavy bullets and there is little room for them in the case. They tend to like 62 to 75 grains. The 6BR is capable of extraordinary accuracy with bullets as light as 62 grains to over 105. There are MANY great bullet choices available for it from the major bullet manufacturers and brass choice is a bit better - with little prep required if that is important to you. The 6PPC has the lightest recoil and this matters a LOT if you are going to use it in a sporter-weight rifle. The heavier the rifle - the less recoil will affect your return-to-battery sight picture between shots. There is a big difference, for example, between shooting a 6ppc and a 30 BR as it relates to recoil. A lot more powder and a much larger bullet. The 30BR is notably stiffer and more abrupt. This is not the kind of recoil that causes pain or anything - just another thing to deal with when returning to battery for another shot - and quickly regaining your position and sight picture. Shooting several strings of a 30-BR or 6BR does typically tend to fatigue one just slightly more, perhaps - than that of the smaller cartridges. I think that, from a pure accuracy standpoint, you will be possibly at a disadvantage with your rifle - and choosing a heavier (aerodynamic) bullet as the 6Br can give you an edge when the wind is present. If you ever opt to shot further out - you will have that covered as well.

11. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0

There are some awesome magazine retrofits that feed the BR case great. Primal rights sells one for AI-Accurate mags and HG sells one for AW mags, I have both and have not had a lick of issues.

12. mauser284

mauser284

I think your FN SPR is a great candidate for 30BR. Any 'smith you would trust to do a F build or the like should be able to make it happen easily. You already know were to go for magazines. I have always wanted to build one myself but I just do not have anything a 30BR would be good at. I always thought it would be a great alternative to 243Win for small stature women and youth in 30 Cal. The only thing I hate is the 1:18 twist and the limited reamer designs. It limits what you can do if you want to do a build not for BR. I have considered doing one in 1:12 twist and custom reamer to allow up to 155gr bullets. How that would work though is anyone's guess. I have often wondered how it would do in Silhouette against the rams????

As I understand it the problem most people face in a standard short action is feeding issues this is especialy true when people try go heavier than 125gr. bullet. Since you will be using AI magazines designed for BR cartridges and you did not mention going heavier than the normal 125gr. bullets I imagine things should be fine. Do let us know though.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  13. rsmithsr50

rsmithsr50

really mauser ??? a year plus old thread ?

14. 500yards

500yards

I had Jon Beanland build me a 30BR in a benchrest rig and man let me tell you this is the single most accurate rifle i have ever owned. I personally think there is a place for a 30BR tactical rig.
    Now this this being said, I feel like the 30BR is only valuable out to 500 yards, maybe 600.

15. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm

David Bruno, not only is he a heck of a good Gunsmith, he shoots short range Benchrest. Also I would definitely add Billy Steven's. Both of these two are easy to talk to and they are more than willing to take care of your needs.

kneedtospeed likes this.
  16. JEFFPPC

JEFFPPC Silver $$ Contributor

Bob Green, if you really want to know why PM me.

17. rsmithsr50

rsmithsr50

really you guys..that bored ?? this is a year old thread

18. chevytruck_83

chevytruck_83

I ended up buying a 30br built off a panda action. It supposedly has some benchrest history. Forget the names but it shoots as good as I read the 30br would.

jimmymac likes this.
  19. chevytruck_83

chevytruck_83

Though I may have a mag fed rifle built in the future this is what I ended up with. Mag fed will either be a custom, fn spr or my favorite the sako trg.

Attached Files:

20. JEFFPPC

JEFFPPC Silver $$ Contributor

Pretty bored.

Mark W, Adam in WI and dmoran like this.