Whitleys 260rem 30 degree improved

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by BradY, Jun 8, 2012.

1. BradY

BradY

Has anyone chambered a rifle to the 260rem with 30 degree improved shoulder that Robert Whitley has on his website? I like the 30 degree shoulder same as the BR cases and the longer neck as well. I think it could be quite a decent calibre for F class. Its a bonus there is a reamer print to suit and dies available compared to other 260 improved cases.

Would like to hear peoples experiences and opinions on it. My plan would be to shoot H4350 or H4831 and bullets in the range of 140gr hybrids down to 130gr vld's out of a 30 inch 1:8 twist barrel and hopefully in the 2900-2950fps bracket with the heavier bullets.

Thanks

2. joejo

joejo

with a 30 inch pipe you should get those speeds with a basic 260. i have a 28 inch barrel and get those speeds no problem. barrel life isn't much better than a 6.5x284 when you start increasing velocity though. i only got 1250 rds out of the last barrel. it still shot...just not as good as it did.
    the improved case you mention is interresting though. i'll have to check it out. i may need to do one. the 260 is my favorite cartridge.

3. BradY

BradY

The barrel life issue isnt a problem for me, however I would be inclinded to think that it would last longer than a standard 260 case- namely because I believe I wouldnt have to push it as hard with an improved case as I would the standard one.

Barrel life aside, the fact that it adopts some of the key features of a BR case really interests me.

To be honest I would probably try to neck down 308 palma brass, neckturn to suit the chamber and use the CCI 450 magnum primer and see what sort of results I can get as well. I know there might be ignition problems, but I dont live in a cold place and quite often summer is very hot. Ignition has been fine with H4350 in the 22BR with 90gr bullets during winter so I think it worthwhile to try.

4. watercam

watercam Site $$ Contributor

I use BR4s to ignite 47 gr. of Varget with not problems at all (except me of course).

5. habu

habu

i have the 30* shoulder on hold - started about 3 yrs ago, [went to 7mm for abit]

mine is called the 6.5 HABU - it's a tight neck patterened after my 6.5 x 08.

use standard 210M primers. and 140 hybrids. [or 142 smk] sould be about 2900 +/-

personally, i think h4831 [sc] will be to slow for the case cap. h4350 works well in my 6.5x08 [43 +/- = 2950 +/-]

VARGET - my favorite, is a bit to hot for the 6.5x08 - 2800 +/- 39 grs - so i had DAVE KIFF make up the "6,5 HABU". so i could use VARGET.

HOWEVER, DON'T TRY 47 GRAINS OF VARGET - YOU'LL WEAR THE BOLT!!! i only used 45 grs in the 08, 43 grs in 7x08,
    SUSPECT ABOUT 41 GRS wiil get the 140 going about 3000+/-.

if you want to look at the print - send me an E-, subject "6.5 HABU"

HABU

6. rcw3

rcw3 Site $$ Sponsor

I can only say the 260 Imp. 30Ëš is one of my favorite 6.5 mm cartridges and I only regret right now that I just have not had enough time to work with it more than I have as I would like to do a lot more load and other work ups and post results to the website. The case and reamer designs work very well with Lapua 260 brass. It's a great cartridge for 600 yard plus target shooting, and I am a big fan of the 30 degree shoulder angle as well.

The web link is here: http://www.6mmar.com/260_Imp_30_.php

Robert Whitley

7. joejo

joejo

well i just looked over the web link posted; thanks brady, now i need to buy another barrel to try this :(

i just can't leave well enough alone...

8. BradY

BradY

Hi Robert

Thanks for that info- I did send you an email as well- unsure if it arrived or not. Hopefully you find a bit of time to do some more work on it.

Joejo- no probs mate ;D

9. boltfluter

boltfluter Site $$ Contributor

A 30 deg. shoulder is a great idea. Makes a great cartridge even better. Keep us posted Robert. 8)

Regards, Paul.

www.boltfluting.com

10. BradY

BradY

Well I have placed my order for a reamer. Going to take 10 or so weeks until it arrives but I still have work to do in terms of stock, barrel block, getting a barrel etc. Plus it seems Australia is almost out of lapua brass so that might hinder me for a couple of months anyway. Hopefully the rifle is going to be ready for the new year shooting calendar.

11. xdeano

xdeano

So you have a 260 IMPROVED 30 and a 6.5 super lr. Basically the same cartridge, just having to fireform the imp. The slr seems to be a smarter solution to me. You wont gain much with the imp.
    Xdeano

12. BradY

BradY

Can use 260 lapua brass in the 260 IMP and dont have any neck turning/donut reaming to do. By the looks of it, the 6.5SLR seems to be a better match for winchester/rem/fed cases. Thats a big plus . Im going to try the 308 palma cases necked down and use CCI450's. That may need turning but time will tell.

13. Spook

Spook Captured too late to be fully domesticated.

Been shooting a 260 Redding for longer than I care to remember. Real similar. Very Good cartridge. I call it the cartridge thats everything the 260 Rem isnt.

14. Billch

Billch

260 Rem. Imp. 30 deg. vs. 260 Rem. Imp. 40 deg.
    Other than the obvious 10 degrees, whats the difference? Why choose one over the other?

B

15. BradY

BradY

Because its a free world and I can choose to shoot what ever I want ;D

16. dennisinaz

dennisinaz

I have the 40º version and have chambered several rifles with it. So far, no complaints. I gained about 100 fps and accuracy improved across the board. Is it worth the fireforming trouble? I guess that depends on your needs. I killed a bear with a Rem mountain rifle so chambered on Wednesday. Probably would have killed him with the Remington version too but I like the improvement. I just chambered an AR type rifle in it as well. I hope to get the barrel turned down to fit the gas block this week and test it out for feeding and gas hole size.

17. nam72

nam72

What is the increase in case volume with the 30 degree shoulder over standard?

18. BradY

BradY

The website doesnt list that info, but I would suggest emailing Robert directly as he should be able to give that figure.

I have ordered a reamer and have a barrel being made up, the barrel block should be here by the end of the week, the stock still hasnt been started but I can get that going very easily, action wise Im thinking of putting a pierce LBLP round single shot short action on it. Should be a nice rig.

19. Billch

Billch

I cant remember off the top of my head what standard 260 Rem. Lapua case is but my 40 deg. is right at 56 H2o.

B

20. daj

daj Site $$ Contributor

On Robert's website, re the 260 Imp 30, he says

and,

If the factory brass has the neck/shoulder junction further from the case head than that of the improved chamber, how does the factory brass chamber? Does it get sized shorter when the bolt closes?