Whidden bedding block

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Iowa Fox, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Iowa Fox

Iowa Fox Silver $$ Contributor

Is anyone here using a Whidden V Block with their Savage 3 screw target action. Has it made a difference in your groups over other methods of bedding you tried with your target action?

Thanks

2. BigBlueandGoldie

BigBlueandGoldie

I'm interested in putting one in a Savage F-T/R stock, but not sure I want to put that kind of money into the factory stock.

3. missed

missed

From a properly bedded rifle to the V block there wont be any difference.

I run V blocks in all my guns.

4. Iowa Fox

Thanks for the reply guys.

missed - what v blocks are you using? Is there any advantage to using the Whidden 3 screw block vs say a Choate stock with a 2 screw v block 4.4 spacing to be able to use the third screw on the target action? This is my very first Target action and finding a stock for my intended purpose is a definite challenge.

5. missed

missed

I make my own since I have all centerfeed DBM guns. I do have one of the Choate stocks with the block in it, I have had no problems out of the block in that one. It is just the rest of the ergo's on that stock that I am not thrilled with. I made a couple blocks for two of the stocks I had for my Savages, and one was a mini chassis that was the block with trigger guard and DBM all in one piece. If you have the target action I would take advantage of having all three screws so it can be evenly torqued, but in reality I can not think there would a measurable difference in using the two screw or three screws. I have been running the two screw 4.4" actions and they have been tack shooters. Just the rest of the mechanics of the actions that I have had the challenge with. That is why there is a Mausingfield on the way.

6. Iowa Fox

Thanks missed. I appreciate all the help. If I do use the Choate stock I'll give it the Hacksaw treatment first. I've often wondered why Choate doesn't come out with a stock or two that appeals to the match shooters and general public as they have a great product at a good price. I know molds are expensive to create but I think they might be surprised at what their sales do.

7. missed

missed

On the Choate if the grip was 1/4-1/2" back, and stippled it, I would be be happy with it. But I have a manners T4A on the way for the MF.