Which Tuner for BRA

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Rushty, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Rushty

Rushty Silver $$ Contributor

I know this may have been done to death but Im contemplating putting a tuner on my next 6BRA Barrel for 500m Benchrest shooting 105gn pills. No particular reason, I’ve not had any problems so far tuning the BRA just want to see if it will get me there faster or possibly find a little more accuracy or keep it in better tune from hot to cold weather. I’ve read as much as there is to read on this forum and it seems the Ezell Tuner is very popular..

What would be your pick of Tuners???

Cheers Rushty

2. Iowa Fox

Iowa Fox Silver $$ Contributor

Texas10 and Rushty like this.
  3. Willow

Willow

Have a chat with Brett Bunyan if you can Rushty, he's running a tuner on his SAUM which did very well at the Nationals in Belmont. I'd jump on that tuner if he can help you with where it came from.

Jarrod Todd likes this.
  4. Rushty

Cheers Willow I’ll talk to Brett when I see him next, he’s a good shot and very helpful.. I see you had some good ranges there to well done..

5. Uthink Uknow

Uthink Uknow Gold $$ Contributor

C0ABD372-3BF2-4ED5-B05D-6ED8A69338D3.jpeg I’ve run Beggs Tuners exclusively so I know them. I guess what you have to decide is, “Do I want the tuner on the barrel or in front of the muzzle.

boltfluter and Rushty like this.
  6. beemanjohn

beemanjohn

I have an Ezell and I am very happy with it. Mike is a real good guy to deal with, gives the kind of service I thought was gone long ago. Just give him a call, you will not be sorry.

dogdude, WyleWD, LarryDScott and 2 others like this.
  7. Texas10

Texas10 Gold $$ Contributor

I went with a tuner-brake because I wanted the benefits of both. I just completed a load work up for the 107 SMK in my new Shilen 6br 8 twist, and then screwed the tuner on to begin adjusting. Started with it bottomed out and shot an OK group at 200 yds. Turned it two clicks and shot two into a .05 moa group, then two into a .11 moa group, and two into a .19 moa group. By then I couldn't stop giggling and my next two measured .34 moa. :D

8. MGYSGT

MGYSGT Silver $$ Contributor

Do you have to thread the barrel for the tuner or can you use one like they use on RimFires that attaches by tighting on the barrel.

9. Texas10

Texas10 Gold $$ Contributor

Standard muzzle brake thread, 5/8 x 24. When my GS threaded my new Shilen barrel he also made a SS protector to screw on when the tuner is off. His craftsmanship is outstanding.

10. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

I don't recommend a clamp on style for a centerfire rifle for two reasons....one really. There's a fine line between tight enough that it won't slip even the tiniest bit under recoil, and constricting the bore. I'm not saying it can't work but it may leave you chasing your tail. Also, it creates another "joint" or connection point that can cause issues as well. It's hard to imagine, but at high frequencies there will be movement at that clamped joint. No different than how bolts can work loose in any high frequency environment.

11. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

12. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Cant beat the ezell tuner.

13. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks everyone, for all the recommendations of my tuner. I'm always glad to help, however I can.--Mike Ezell

dogdude, Rushty, WyleWD and 1 other person like this.
  14. Willow

Willow

Cheers mate, I struggled at the shorts for the most part and did better at the longs once i started to work out how the range worked a bit more. Unlucky not to shoot a couple of clean stages at 900 and 1000 but that was partly me being impatient which I need to work on, plus my wind reading skills aren't on the same level as guys like Brett and Matt P who was exceptional in winning the nationals.

Jarrod Todd likes this.
  15. Rushty

Yes I seen you done better at the longs, conditions were fairly tricky I was told.. MP is a talented fellow no doubts there..

16. Rushty

Thankyou for your input gentlemen more food for thought...

SPJ likes this.
  17. comagutsa

comagutsa

oi you just coz i'm trying one haha.. when my EC tuner is fitted come and have a play and see what ya think

Rushty, SPJ and Jarrod Todd like this.
  18. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

You Australia guys got a natural cool factor!
    Question though- do ya really put shrimp on the Barbie ?
    J

comagutsa and Rushty like this.
  19. Rushty

Gotta keep an open mind can’t let you run from the pack anymore than you have, Bloody oath I’ll be coming down to see how the ECT goes for sure..

comagutsa likes this.
  20. Rushty

I’m cool thanks Jim.... Comagutsa is ‘training’ to be cool...

Yeah absolutely I cook Shrimp or as we call em here Prawns on the Barbie..Tasty morsels!

argh, comagutsa and SPJ like this.