Which scope???

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by Scalloper, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Scalloper

Scalloper

Any preference on ether of these two scopes? It will be going on a 700 Rem in 264 Win Mag
    Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20X50
    Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x50 with a 30mm tube

2. JRS

JRS

The LEUPOLD is by far the better scope.

Zero333 and Chad8369 like this.
  3. Lapua40X

Lapua40X California Hunter Education Instructor Silver $$ Contributor

I don't understand why you'd consider a 14 power scope if you need a 20 power; or vise versa. The Zeiss Conquest has some features that aren't included on the Leupold. I own several Leupolds and a Zeiss and I have no complaints about either. I do like the parallax adjustment setup on the Zeiss.

4. tjtjwdad

tjtjwdad

I own both scopes in 6.5-20 and to my eyes, optically, the Zeiss is slightly better but the Leupold line offers a lot of flexibility Zeiss when comparing the available options that Zeiss won't. Between these two scopes I'd look at the magnification requirements for your application and proceed from there.

5. Scalloper

Scalloper

Thanks. The lower power of the Leup is more to my needs. But if the Zeiss was a far greater scope I would buy the zeiss. I have very little experence with Zeiss.

6. FeMan

FeMan CA Hunter's Ed Instructor Gold $$ Contributor

What type of shooting do you intend to use the scope for?

7. tjtjwdad

tjtjwdad

They're both very close and I think you would be happy either way. It sounds like a hunting rig, something that might get used in the back country. Leupold has better aftermarket as well as factory accessories and choices; for that reason I'd probably opt for the Leupold.

As far as the rifle (Remington Model 700), IMO, nothing wrong with them, especially if its an older one; they too have a lot of aftermarket accessories for them.

8. jonbearman

jonbearman I live in new york state,how unfortunate ! Gold $$ Contributor

You are painting a rather bad picture of the most copied rifle other than a mauser.There is nothing that wrong with a 700 unless someone does a lousy adjustment of the trigger rendering it unsafe.As far as the extractor,yea it isn't controlled round feed but it doesn't mean it doesn't work.I have fired thousands of rounds out of a bunch of 700's and never a failure to to extract.Never had a bolt handle problem so lets stay on point with scope selection. I looked recently through the leupold you mention and I couldn't believe how nice and clear it was.I would opt with the leupold and if you could go with more power it would be better however if you are just hunting to stay with the 4.5x14.

9. Chad8369

Chad8369

I have a VX6 on my 264 extreme weather and LOVE it!!! I like the VX 5 as well, no experience with the VX3. Own a conquest 5-25 and would probably prefer the VX5 3-15

Zero333 likes this.
  10. KY-Windage

KY-Windage

Yeah, I was shooting my 700 .204 today and at 100 yds it wouldn't even put five shots in the same hole.

[​IMG]

11. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

I would guess that after 5 years he found something.

1raggedhole likes this.