Which Scope for 600/1000 GBA Competitions?

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by Horseshoe108, Jul 5, 2019.

1. johara1

johara1

I said free recoil, I saw guys bleed with a PPC. besides the eye relief is how critical the eye box is. The SVED series is the best of them all next would be the NF. NXS and the worst the NF Comp..... jim

2. Horseshoe108

Horseshoe108

I didn't see the words "free recoil" in the post I responded to, but I can see where that would be an issue.

I've shot 10" steel at 1000 but not with free recoil. I have not determined if I will shoot 600/1000 BR with free recoil. While I have read on this forum where some do shoot that way and some don't, an article on Accurate Shooter said "1000-yard rifles are rarely shot free-recoil," https://www.accurateshooter.com/competition/1000-yard-benchrest-guide/

The only shooter at my range who shoots free recoil beyond 300 yards does so because he has a pacemaker and doesn't want to cause problems with it.

3. johara1

johara1

I never shot anything but free recoil, Having shot pretty small aggs. doing it. Most people I know do shoot free recoil, some slightly modified, harder to keep the contact the same every shot. Free recoil and a gun that tracks is hard to beat..... BTW where is the write up on 1000 yd. guns are rarely shot free recoil. ...jim

SPJ likes this.
  4. Horseshoe108

Horseshoe108

It's in the link I provided. I'll quote the statement:

"Long-Range Shooting Technique
    1000-yard rifles are rarely shot free-recoil, unlike point-blank Benchrest (100-200 yards), where free-recoil technique (touch only the trigger and/or trigger guard, then halt recoil with your shoulder) is the norm. Two basic shooting styles are used by 1000-yard shooters. Some grab the fore-end and apply downward pressure to aid tracking and counter barrel hop during recoil. Others use just the trigger hand and shoulder to support the rifle. I use the second method, as I get excessive vertical spread when I grab the fore-end. I can’t seem to hold the forend and make it work, but many shooters do it very well. With either method, doing exactly the same thing every shot is key. And now that Richard Schatz set a new 6-target 1000-yard record free-recoiling his 11-lb 6mm Dasher, we may see more shooters trying this method in the future. As I said before, the sport is evolving."

That article may be old, not sure. I think it depends on your equipment as well. The gun I shoot in the 100-300 yard matches cannot be shot free recoil. My 600-1000 would have no problem with that.

5. kneedtospeed

kneedtospeed Gold $$ Contributor

Although the article is dated, it has some valuable info.
    King Richard is Still among the very best!
    Many of us 1000 yard competitors are winning with a consistent "Hold" on the rifle, and using the exact scopes that others are bashing, and even calibers for that matter.
    You gotta do/use what works for You.
    If you enjoy what you're doing, you can be competitive with anything.
    Tom

Pahunter1975 likes this.
  6. Horseshoe108

Horseshoe108

I do think the minimum amount of contact you can have with your rifle the better. I try to keep my cheek off and do a modified recoil I guess you would call it.

7. johara1

johara1

Stating facts isn't bashing. ..... jim

8. Horseshoe108

Horseshoe108

I'll be going to EuroOptic in Sept. Their physical store is limited in size, but they will bring in items at request from their warehouse (downstairs). They are primarily an online store, but they do have quite a few high end scopes on hand.

Leaning toward the NF 15-55. I think their reticles have an advantage over the BR model. Wish the BR had more to choose from. I like my NP-2dd for 500 and under, and steel plates to 1000, but I think the thinner lines in the Comp. would be better at 600/1000 yard paper.

9. Pahunter1975

Pahunter1975

Agree 100% with you. Have fun be comfortable with your style and equipment and you’ll be competitive. My vote would be for NF 12-42 and comp!
    Tons of them on the firing lines and winners circle. Aim small miss small!

kneedtospeed likes this.
  10. Horseshoe108

Horseshoe108

Opinions or experience with the following FIXED power scopes?

March 48 x 52 - $2200
    Sightron 45 x 45 - $900
    NF 42 x 44 - $1300

11. Horseshoe108

Horseshoe108

Doing some research on these 3 and it seems like besides the price MOA elevation is a factor. If I read them correctly the Sightron was only 40MOA, the NF is 45MOA, and the March is 60 MOA. I'm sure all 3 are good glass, but I think the Sightron would actually be a better replacement for my 36X Sightron on the .22lr and the March would likely be best for distance shooting. Value wise the Sightron would probably be great for 100-300 yard shooting.

For longer distances it just depends on if the larger objective lens (+ 8mm), the added MOA (15), and (6X) more in magnification are worth the extra $900 for the March over the NF.

12. Horseshoe108

Horseshoe108

Now that I started this thread, it is done for me. Shiraz just posted another discount for March scopes at 35% off. Got the 48X52. I hope the March people on here were right. Hard to pass up the deal for the price.

Appreciated the comments and insight.

Turbulent Turtle likes this.
  13. Horseshoe108

Horseshoe108

So much for that. Oder placed as it was shown as in stock, next day I get this:

"The item on your order, item # MAR1077, is no longer available. Due to our ongoing Retirement Sale, all orders are limited to stock on hand and we will not be receiving stock to fill backorders. Since this item is not in stock, your order has been cancelled and your card has not been charged."

Scope showed that it was no longer in stock immediately after I placed my order- as if I got the last one. Disappointed. Gonna go a different route now for the price.

14. kneedtospeed

Hit up @dragman on here.
    He will hook you up, once you know what direction you want to go. Tell him your an AS member, and Soon to be Contributor, for the Best Prices! ;)

15. Mudder

Mudder Silver $$ Contributor

16. Horseshoe108

Horseshoe108

I called March, they apologized for the Mix-up. Went with a 40-60 for a few hundred more. Just hard to beat the price right now with the closeout. I doubt I will be disappointed.

17. Horseshoe108

Horseshoe108

Went to observe a 1000 yard match today- Factory class, heavy gun, light gun.

Saw 2 Vortex GE's, 1 Kahles, and the rest were either Sightron SIII's or NF Competition's or NF BR 12-42's. The majority being NF.

Conditions were great. They should have some good scores posted when I check later this evening.

kneedtospeed likes this.
  18. kneedtospeed

Thanks for coming out, it was good meeting you.
    Looking forward to shooting together soon.
    Tom

Horseshoe108 likes this.
  19. Horseshoe108

Horseshoe108

BTW, great shooting. 3.5" LG 1000 yard group and winning 3 shoot offs!

kneedtospeed likes this.