Which Scope for 600/1000 GBA Competitions?

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by Horseshoe108, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Gina1

Gina1

I have a March 8-80 scope. Bought it about 2 years ago ($ cry once !!) and have never looked back. Once you look through a March scope, you will be spoiled for life. It's that good.

dogdude likes this.
  2. newbieshooter

newbieshooter :-) Silver $$ Contributor

I shoot with a March 8-80 and don't think it's too much scope - can always dial it down. Even at 80 power I don't think it's too dark or felt like I'm limited......YEMSID.......

dogdude and Horseshoe108 like this.
  3. NCVarhtr

NCVarhtr Gold $$ Contributor

What is wrong with the NF 15-55. I'm thinking about putting one on my 6BRA short range (under 500 yds) rifle? Any real world experience comments appreciated.

4. lukehalee

lukehalee

For what it’s worth, I have shipped March scopes across the pond for service twice. Turn around time was faster than Leupold. Very professional.

DBLNUT and Horseshoe108 like this.
  5. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

If you get a good one that holds then they are the best.

kneedtospeed likes this.
  6. johara1

johara1

I would not go that far, If you have to zero on birds on the bank with the very critical eye box and free recoil they sure aren't the pick of the litter.... Jim

7. lukehalee

lukehalee

Agree that they don’t have the largest eye boxes, but mine have been rock solid as far as holding POI. For me, nothing else matters if you don’t have that.

8. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

I’ll chime in and say that I shoot with a 8-32x56 Sightron for 600 and recently 1000 without any issues.
    J

mike a likes this.
  9. Utah Big Jim

Utah Big Jim

For my use the NF 15x55 is perfect for 100 to 1000 yd BR shooting. only drawback is the turret range 55 MOA and Price if you want to do long range too. I have 2 of these and 2 Vortex GEs & 2 Sightron III 10-32. The NF force is a lot better in my opinion than the others I have.

10. NCVarhtr

NCVarhtr Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks guys. That's exactly the kind of hands on experience I was looking for.

11. DBLNUT

DBLNUT

Nothing is wrong with the NF. I have had 2 March HM, just sold 1 HM and took the money and bought another NF comp. The March HM is not as good as the NF.
    In saying that I have had 3 NF comp, 2 March HM and 2 Vortex GE.

12. Horseshoe108

Horseshoe108

In your opinion, why is the March not as good as the NF? Just curious. I have a NF, never looked through a March yet.

13. DBLNUT

DBLNUT

A NF Comp can be had for 2070.00 delivered. The March HM will set you back 3400+ or - a little. For a 1300 dollar premium you should get something But in my opinion the glass is nowhere close to the comp. look in the classified section and a used March HM will only bring 2500-2750. All the guys I shoot with that has looked thru a HM agree it is not as clear or bright as the NF.

But.......I have never had a NF yet that would not hold POI.

dstoenner likes this.
  14. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

You already have one, if not the best scope for 1,000 yard performance in that 42X NF BR. 42 power is plenty for benchrest accuracy if not a little more than you need, especially in mirage conditions. The optical quality of the NF BR's is right up with the best. Sure the NF Comp. is maybe a little brighter and clearer but the extra power is really not necessary. I have both and some others on your list of possibles. Take most all the others I have or have used, like March, Sightron, Vortex Golden Eagle, Kahles etc. and you lose clarity and brightness.

Only issue is there have been some NF Comp. scopes that were and maybe still are not as mechanically solid as they should be. That has never been the case with the BR.

The NF Br 12-42 is the best bang for the buck for benchrest shooting.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    ScottVA likes this.
  15. Mudder

Mudder Silver $$ Contributor

100% agree with this. Had the same experience.
    I also had NO problems with POI on the four NF Comps I owned (I did end up selling them and getting SB 12-50 because I wanted 34mm tubes).

16. Horseshoe108

Horseshoe108

Appreciate the advice.

17. Horseshoe108

Horseshoe108

July 2018

"Wilson’s world record-setting 5-shot group measured 1.068 inches or, in angular terms, a stunning 0.102 minutes of angle (MOA)."

Bullet: 103g Vapor Trail
    Brass: Lapua
    Powder: Hodgdon H4895
    Primer: CCI 450 (small rifle magnum)

Rifle
    Action: BAT ‘B’ 1.550 Melonited Action with Jewell Trigger
    Barrel: Brux HV 28″ Finished Length, 1:8″ Twist Rate
    Chambering: 6BRAW (6mmBR Ackley Improved Wilson), Chambered by Darrell Jones
    Chamber Specs: 0.272″ No-turn Neck with 0.135″ Freebore
    Stock: Shehane ST 1000 Fiberglass Stock (with stock work by Larry “Bullet” Archer)
    Optics: Nightforce 12-42x56mm Benchrest NP-2 DD
    Weight: 16 pounds, 2 ounces.

Captain Mal is right. Loved firefly BTW!

CaptainMal likes this.
  18. johara1

johara1

I don't know if that is completely true, they have rubber around the eye piece because of the very short eye relief. They hold zero but at 360z. and you get wacked you will start to flinch... not a good thing. The SVSSED10-50x60 is brighter, holds zero, way better parallax adj. and the best eye box of them all. All of this plus 50 power and at only 6oz. more than the NF. Br..... They are priced right this month...... jim

19. Horseshoe108

Horseshoe108

Eye reliefs:

S&B 12-50 = 70mm or close to 2.75"
    Trijicon 5-50 = 3.5-3.9"
    NF 12-42 = 2.9"
    NF 15-55 = 3.15"
    March 10-60 = 88-101mm or close to 3.46-3.97"
    March 8-80 = close to 3.5-3.8"
    Sightron SVSS 10-50 = 3.8-4.5"

The Sightron definitely has the largest eye relief with S&B being the smallest. The rifle my NF 12-42 is on now has next to no recoil so that is not an issue- as far as getting hit by it or flinching. I doubt that my new 6 BRA (14 lbs.) will be much recoil either. With BR shooting eye relief isn't as important as say PRS. But it is always nice to have.

I do want to check out the new SVSS glass.

20. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

The OP is talking about benchrest shooting. If it were PRS shooting then with the variety of range changes and positions, different scopes than those used for benchrest would be in the mix. We are talking benchrest on this thread.

Heck, my most miserable benchrest scope is a Vortex Golden Eagle. The eye relief may only be OK. I do not measure but the eye-box is horrible. You have to fuss around to get things just right for a full field of view. It reminds me of the March scopes I have used. They also have a horrible tight eye box. Only thing is it works well for benchrest. You have lots of set-up time, hardly touch the rifle at all and just let it free recoil to some extent. My Golden Eagle is great for mechanical quality. It's just that though the optics suck compared to the Nightforce scopes, they see good enough to be competitive.

Sure the Nightforce BR scopes have a slow objective lens parallax/focus. Sure they are a bit heavier than some others. Sure they are available at a more comfortable price than many. Sure they are super for mechanical performance. Sure their eye box is forgiving, bright, clear and sharp. You then best be sure they work for benchrest shooting.