Which Scope for 600/1000 GBA Competitions?

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by Horseshoe108, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Horseshoe108

Horseshoe108

GBA is another version of IBS. Same targets, similar rules. Rifle is a 6 BRA.

I have read most of the "which scope is better" threads on this forum. It is a question that will not die. One of the reasons, and the reason why I post this, is due to the fact that the optics talked about a year or more ago are not necessarily the same now. I currently use a NF 12-42 for 100-300 yard matches and ringing MOA steel out to 1000 yards. Very happy with it. I would like more power for the greater distances and smaller group shooting.

If money was not an issue which would you put on your dedicated 1000 yard rifle?

Considering:
    S&B 12-50 (not sure if the small amount of extra magnification is worth the money over the NF 12-42)
    Trijicon 5-50 (same as above, but only about $1700 retail)
    NF 15-55
    March 10-60 (concern with March is service times and availability)
    March 8-80
    Other*

Is the March 80x too much scope? Does the extra power make it too dark or limit it's effectiveness in other ways? The more I read the more I see people lean towards the 10-60 over the 80X.

2. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer Silver $$ Contributor

My list of scopes I am thinking about for my current rifle build are:

Sightron SV 10-50 ED

Kahles k1050

Trijicon accupower 5-50

Vortex Golden Eagle 15-60

NF BR 12-42

Sightron SIII 10-50

Ray

dmoran likes this.
  3. Raythemanroe

I like Sightron for getting behind in a match, easy to work with and the turrets are nice also when sitting behind the gun in Benchrest..

The Golden Eagle in my opinion is okay for the price and weight.. Turrets are not what I like for Benchrest, little hard to move without moving the gun.. Glass is good enough and it seems to hold. Eye box isn't as tame as the Sightron..

NF BR is timeless and continues to be a good value BR scope.

Ray

4. Horseshoe108

Horseshoe108

I'd like to check out the glass in the new Sightron SV series. I had a GE 15-60 and a Leupold 45x. Was underwhelmed with the Leupold, and while I know a lot of guys at the range who love the GE's I thought it was too dark at higher power. To be fair they probably all are. But, I don't think the GE has ED glass and that would probably make a difference for the higher magnification and brightness compared to some of the others I listed.

You listed the NF 12-42 and I will say that I would select that over the GE- my opinion only.

Raythemanroe likes this.
  5. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

If your N.F. is doing the job and has 1/8 clicks I would consider sticking with it......It Is The Demon You Know.......From your listed options I am guessing the $ thing is good to go. I use March and the 1050 Kahles. The 8-80 I had was an amazing scope......Sold it for the Kahles and would be 100% O.K. with either one. Best of luck choosing a scope........It CAN be a bit crazymaking.......o_O

Regards
    Rick

6. Horseshoe108

Horseshoe108

My concerns with March is now that Shiraz is G.O.B. I'm guessing there is no physical support center in the U.S. and I still wonder about the 80X scope. Nobody at my range has one.

Thanks for the input.

7. Mudder

Mudder Silver $$ Contributor

I got a couple of the SB 12-50 this year. One of the most under appreciated scopes out there I think. I’ve always shot my best groups with them. They are so solidly built that I Never worry about the shifting zeros that people are seeing with various manufacturers lately.

I just got an SVSS ED and the glass is very nice. Turrets are not as solid as the SB, but so far seems like a well done scope. Can’t confirm yet if the zero is solid on them.

Also the 34mm tube on both of those are amazing. I will never go back to 30mm

8. newbieshooter

newbieshooter :-) Silver $$ Contributor

The Vortex site page lists the GE features - and one feature is extra-low dispersion (ED) glass?
    https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-golden-eagle-hd.html

9. Raythemanroe

It's not going to be as bright as a 56mm or 62mm ED glass, it's good just not top.. I don't see it as dark, I feel the SIII is brighter but it floods out faster than the GE when the sun is out..

Ray

10. Horseshoe108

Horseshoe108

I never see BR shooters use S&B...mostly PRS guys...which is why I was curious to see if anyone here uses them. Never heard anything bad about them though. I am interested in seeing more feedback on the SVSS as more people try them.

11. Horseshoe108

Horseshoe108

I'm surprised...and I could have checked before commenting. Like Ray said, it must be the objective diameter which hinders it.

12. Mudder

I wanted to try the SB because they have such a good rep for being solid and holding POI. I have to say they are my favorite scope and I have owned all of them except the Golden Eagle.

I’ll try to post some SVSS info when I can. I do think they have a lot of potential.

Horseshoe108 likes this.
  13. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

I went from GE to a Sightron 111 10-50 and 8-32
    I found the Glass much better for my eyes .

14. Horseshoe108

Horseshoe108

First impression: Is the S&B worth the $800+ more than the SVSS?

15. Horseshoe108

Horseshoe108

I wanted to love the GE because I liked the reticle and power range. To me the Razor Gen 2 glass was outstanding. Vortex is a great value for the money, they just don't make anything to suit my needs yet. The only Sightron I currently have is a 36x on my CZ-MTR 22lr. The 36x is perfect for that, but only has a 1"tube.

Don likes this.
  16. Raythemanroe

I have seen S&B that flat won't adjust parralax out, I mean bad movement at 1k.. By the time it's sent back to the factory twice because it came back still junk you have hundreds invested in getting it fixed and still a junk scope.. I know this will PO people but I can't see where it performs that good to invest in that .

Ray

Don likes this.
  17. Mudder

For me is worth 800 all day, everyday. I always know it’s going to hold zero. Turrets have a great feel and are incredibly solid with positive feeling clicks. 34mm tube with wide a field of view. I can usually fit a few wind flags and some plants and trees in the picture when shooting at 600. I could not do that with the NF at full. Good glass.

Only negatives on the SB is that the clicks are very close together. The other is that it has 15 moa per revolution. I wish it had 10 or 20 or even 30 like the ATACR.

The SVSS best features are the ED glass and focus system. Both very nice. The knobs are huge which is good and bad. Easy to see what’s going on. The turrets do not have the same kind “holy crap these are solid” feel like SB and ATACR, which makes me hope that they hold zero. It also has the 34mm tube like the SB which is great.

All in all the only thing I would like better than the SB is if they made a 10-50 ATACR. The 7-35 ATACR is an amazing piece of gear but 35x for BR and Fclass
    :-/

To me scopes are very personal and we all have our turns on and turn offs. Just my opinions.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Horseshoe108 and Don like this.
  18. Horseshoe108

Horseshoe108

Did you have to send it to Europe to get fixed or do they have a facility in the US?

I haven't heard many complaints about them, but like other people have said- mechanical products break down and malfunction. Which is why warranty, customer service and support are important.

19. Turbulent Turtle

Turbulent Turtle F-TR competitor

Shiraz is not going out of business, he's retiring from the scope business. DEON is still going strong and has already picked up 3 distributors in the US: Euro Optics, SWFA and Long Range Supply.

As for the service, let's just say that anything that requires opening the scope has to be done at the factory because when they close ip up again, they fill it with argon gas and that's not going to happen at a small repair facility.

I bought my March-X 5-50X56 about 6 years ago and it has been on my match rifle for something approaching 20,000 rounds of .308 F-Class LR loads. It went back to DEON about 3 months ago to get the MTR-2 reticle changed to an MTR-5 because of my aging eyes. They sent it back directly to my house about 3 weeks after I sent it. I would not be worried about service from DEON with a March scope.

Meanwhile, Shiraz has a few March scopes left at his web site and there are a couple March 10-60X56, one of them with the MTR-5 reticle that I just got installed in my own scope. And Shiraz is selling these scopes for a great price, 30% off. The glass in the 10-60X56 is phenomenal. He also has a few 8-80X56 with a couple different reticles. That's the same scope as mine except in 8X. It's a tad long than mine behind the adjustment knobs, as you would expect, but it's otherwise the same. Great glass, built like a tank and tracks like a laser.

http://marchoptics.com/shop/brand_march-optics/secondfocalplane/10-60x56mm-scope

http://marchoptics.com/shop/brand_march-optics/secondfocalplane/8-80x56mm-scope

You do not want FFP for BR at 600 and 1000, you want a second focal plane reticle.

Horseshoe108 likes this.
  20. Horseshoe108

Horseshoe108

With G.O.B. I was referring only to the March aspect...and service. I appreciate the feedback on DEON and your opinion of the quality of the scopes themselves. The ones I was interested in are already sold. Will keep them on my list though.