Which 6.5 should I try next?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Jim Tisdale, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Well 1st off my wife's is a factory Remington,
    thought I should clarify that point.
    Started with some 143 eldx and rl22, had it shooting mid .2's @100 holding a Inch@ 300.
    Oped up to an inch @100.
    Next 130 Berger ar hybrids, again mid
    .2's @100 holding 1.25 @ 300.
    Last time I shot this load I'd have been better off using a 12 gauge.
    Now were trying 123 amax .5 at 100.
    Shot 3, 3 shot groups @300. Agian holding just over an inch. But will it stay consistent?
    Time will tell, either way it is just a factory rifle that my wife hunts with, and I'm tired of screwing with.

2. MGYSGT

MGYSGT Silver $$ Contributor

If the chrono is showing different speeds on different days, maybe something is missing from your loading process. Providing temp of ammo is the same.

3. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0

I have really never heard any one complain about 6.5 x 47, solid performer, easy tune, works with a multitude of bullet weights, quality brass, one option. If you screw a 6.5x47 up, look in the mirror, it is that simple.

4. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Well there is that!!
    I've read nothing but good about the cartridge.

Baer45, 284winner and muleman69 like this.
  5. FrankG

FrankG

I've got three guns built in .260 Rem. Haven't had a issue with either one of them. That being said I'm shooting my 6.5CM more than anything else. Why? Just because of the twist I did in that barrel and the types of bullets I'm shooting thru it. As mentioned the choice of box match in 6.5CM = more options if you run box ammo at times.

That being said 6.5x47 Lapua is very nice. We've built rifles in it and also ammunition test barrels. Awesome round.

6.5x55 is very nice if loaded to modern pressures.

You can keep the list going and argue both sides of the aisle on different things. Gonna kinda come down to, what are you using the gun for, bolt face, component availability etc...

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

muleman69 and Bc'z like this.
  6. wbm

wbm

Don't think it is the rifle.

7. Ggmac

Ggmac Gold $$ Contributor

6.5 JAP ! Norma brass , above the Grendel and below the creedmore and 47 LAPUA.

8. onelastshot

onelastshot Gold $$ Contributor

6.5-284 simply because it's the best.

Willie, 370bc and 284winner like this.
  9. Evan

Evan Gold $$ Contributor

I've heard whispers in the night of a 338 Lapua necked down to 6.5 that sends 140s downrange at 3800fps.

No telling if it's true, but what a glorious thing that would be until the barrel melted.

AJC and Sparky570 like this.
  10. ebb

ebb

One day/session it shoots .5 or better and the next it sprays all over. Won’t keep zero. Chrono shows numbers great one time, crap the next. While I am not an expert I believe it could be the rifle. Sounds like inconsistent ignition. I am convinced that SRPs are not good if the case capacity gets too high. I read from highly respected bench rest gunsmith that he believed over 40 grains was too much for a SRP. A firing pin protrusion issue or a dirty bolt that restricts pin fall could all cause bad numbers. A bad scope won't fool the crono, if this was all on the target I would guess scope.

r bose likes this.
  11. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

I dont see how the bullet jacket could stand up to that RPM with the twist recommended to stabilize most 140's. I bet a person would have to change it to a 1 in 12 twist to keep the bullet jackets from melting in the bore at 3800 fps.

Evan likes this.
  12. B23

B23 Gold $$ Contributor

I'm going to guess it's one of three things or maybe a little of all three. 1) It's a bit of a fish story. 2) They're running some pretty hot loads. 3) Extremely long barrels.

I know Kirby Allen has his 6.5 Allen Mag which is a necked down and slightly improved RUM case and with a 30 inch tube he only gets 3550 from the 140's. A straight necked down, un-improved, 6.5-338 Lapua would have slightly less case capacity than Kirby's 6.5 Allen Mag so 3800 with a 140 may be a stretch unless they are standing on the gas well past redline.

Evan likes this.
  13. FrankG

FrankG

3800fps in a 6.5 Lapua Mag? One you need barrel length to burn the powder....yep back off on the twist because your going to have the velocity supposedly.....and barrel life....You won’t even get 500 rounds out of it. Maybe if you baby it and don’t get it hot. On a F Class gun I’ll say you wouldn’t even get 400 rounds. .26 Nosler or a 6.5WSM the barrels get thrown out around 400-500 rounds.

Also I don’t feel there is a suitable powder to fill the case up in order to use the case capacity.

simo hayha likes this.
  14. Evan

Evan Gold $$ Contributor

Why I say it's a whisper in the night is that I was told it by a guy. He claimed 142 SMK in a 1:8.5twist. No other info was surrendered on this mythical monster.

15. Ledd Slinger

Tell him he can keep keeping it a secret cuz I dont want nothin' to do with that ;)

16. Evan

Evan Gold $$ Contributor

Agreed! And I thought a 6.5 WSM was a bit silly...

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  17. Ledd Slinger

Funny thing is my 6.5 Remington Magnums will run head to head with a 6.5 WSM all the way while running 6-8gr less power charge. Much more efficient, yet every bit as fast.

Though all the magnum 6.5's are barrel burners when pushed to max speeds.

18. KeithF

KeithF Silver $$ Contributor

6.5x47
    If your gun is giving you that much trouble, you likely have a bad barrel. Call Savage and tell them what it’s doing and they may replace it. The 260 isn’t a finicky round. The Savage barrels are known to be good shooters. They are terrible at copper fouling, too. If you want to replace the barrel with an aftermarket, Northlandshooterssupply.com has Shilen and Criterion barrels at a great price. The 6.5x47 is one of the most accurate cartridges around. Not as much as a 6BR, but it will beat the wind.

Baer45 and Jim Tisdale like this.
  19. ebb

ebb

When going for speed records always use a Barnes or other solid copper bullet, no jacket issues.

20. johnfred1965

johnfred1965 Silver $$ Contributor

I'm putting in my vote for the 6.5x47L. If I can make it shoot, it has to be a great cartridge! My only beef with the 6.5 creed is it's popularity makes me worry about the future of the 47L. I have 2 Lapua's and I always want to have brass for them. I also yearn for a 264 win mag, but apparently old belted cases are losing their luster, 7mm and 300 mag not withstanding.

Baer45 likes this.