When starting out what gave you the best accuracy return for the $

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Rotag01, Dec 20, 2019.

1. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Nice hat:)

Rotag01 likes this.
  2. Rotag01

Rotag01 Gold $$ Contributor

That’s what happens when you tell grandma she can’t crochet a cowboy hat

my granddad wore one most of my teen years 34 years and going strong

Bc'z and SPJ like this.
  3. snert

snert Silver $$ Contributor

Redding Competition Seat die for every accurate rifle, controlled bullet depth seating. Cheapest accuracy I ever bought

Rotag01 likes this.
  4. L W P

L W P

Switching out the expander ball on the depriming stem and went with using mandrels was a cheap help with accuracy and consistency.

5. Ralph Littlefield

Ralph Littlefield

I hope this proves true for me. I just ordered one.

6. JEFFPPC

JEFFPPC Silver $$ Contributor

I have a different idea. Invest in a cup of coffee or breakfast once or twice a month and invite a good shooter to breakfast and pick his brain. Best investment you will ever make.

Intheshop, Bob L. and dgeesaman like this.
  7. mike a

mike a 6BR Rocks Gold $$ Contributor

Contribute to this site. For best accuracy. I owe much to this site! $50 bucks, it's like getting all the accuracy knowledge in the world.

8. acloco

acloco

Neck tension, optics, & barrel.....and YOU!!!

9. Homerange

Homerange

You missed trigger. ;)

acloco likes this.
  10. WhiskyTahoeFoxtrot

WhiskyTahoeFoxtrot Gold $$ Contributor

Rotag01, you have managed to pull together an awesome post. Well done!
    I noticed no one has called out bipod. All the discussion on a great rest is valid but eventually to compete in F/TR, you are going to need a bipod. Get a good one along with a good rear bag. Talk to the other shooters shooting F/TR and find out what they like and don't like about their bipod.

All the contributors on this post have shared excellent advice like an precision trigger, accurate barrel, target bullets, quality brass, high quality optics, scales, and precision reloading gear. Hang in there! Shop the classifieds often to get deals and avoid paying retail. Check with your club members and find out if someone wants to pass on some gear.

I would suggest that at some point in your journey, consider "cheating" and practice with some high quality loaded ammo to compare with your reloads. It's a benchmark for you to use to compare your loads with a quality factory target load. You'll need to know your barrel's twist rate to know what is the heaviest bullet your gun can "stabilize".

One of the top F/TR shooters at our club has a factory savage with barrel upgrade, upgraded trigger, superb optics, and a phoenix bipod. His process is Deprime, Anneal, Resize, expand via mandrel, load with A&D autothrow, and seat with Wilson arbor seating die. He's shooting 200-14x regularly with his .223. His rifle shoots straight on calm days. The rest is learning the wind and that is the fun/challenge of any long range shooting discipline.

dgeesaman likes this.