What's your favorite 40grn bullet?

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by long40shot, Jul 5, 2017.

1. long40shot

long40shot Gold $$ Contributor

I recently tried some 40 grain z-max bullets in my 22-250. I haven't shot them on paper but they were amazing on p-dogs. I'm just wondering what you guys favorite 40grn bullets are.

Matt

2. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

The V-Max's have been working so well for me that I frankly just haven't tried many others. jd

moorepower likes this.
  3. Mark204

Mark204

Same here.........V-Max's have produced the desired results, so I haven't looked else where......yet.

moorepower likes this.
  4. jimmymac

jimmymac Silver $$ Contributor

My 22-250 likes the 40 grain V-max or Z-Max as well. They are the same bullet with different colored tips. The Z-Max can usually be had at a cheaper price if you look around and buy in bulk.

moorepower and 6MMWASP like this.
  5. moorepower

moorepower

V/Z max

6. Preacher

Preacher Silver $$ Contributor

Not to be different, but the 40 grain Ballistic tip is my favorite in any 22 caliber unless I'm hunting deer, then it's a jump to the 75 grain A-max...

7. Tiratore

Tiratore

V-Max, but you can push them fast enough they don't make it to the target. But you have to work at it.

8. long40shot

The Noslers?

9. Preacher

Preacher Silver $$ Contributor

Yes !!!

long40shot likes this.
  10. germanlongbow

germanlongbow Scott M Bainbridge

40 gr Sierra Blitkings in my 223ai. 40gr Vmax in my 20BR.

11. drover

drover

In my experience the Hornady V-Max works great on ground squirrels and PDs but I use the Nosler Ballistic Tip 40 grains exclusively any more.
    The Nosler has a thicker jacket and base and I have found that it not only works well for ground squirrels and PDs but also is excellent on heavier and more muscular animals such as badgers, rock chucks, and coyotes. For the sake of simplicity I use them for all of my varmint shooting.

drover

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    Toby Bradshaw likes this.
  12. B23

B23

I used to shoot a lot of 40's in my 223 bolt guns. the Vmax 40's and Nosler BT 40's always seemed to shoot the best for me but I tended to use more of the Nosler BT 40's on coyotes because they seemed to have a bit more tougher construction to them and didn't seem to surface splash as much as the little Vmax bullets but if I was shooting sage rats, ground squirrels, rockchucks, or PD's I liked the Vmax's better because they, were, so much more explosive and I like seeing the red mist effect they give. :)

13. B23

B23

LOL So I'm not crazy then because it sounds like you experienced the same thing. ;)

14. B23

B23

I pretty much only shoot the 53Vmax in my 223AI and they shoot so well in it that I won't hardly try anything else. My furthest coyote kill was just a little over 400 yards and they are definitely NOT a fur friendly bullet.

15. long40shot

I never ran 40s in my old barrel. I was very impressed how they preformed on the p-dogs out of this new barrel. I'm hoping they do well on paper too.

16. GrocMax

GrocMax

There's a definite difference between the 6mm 58g vmax and zmax. Might be the same die and tip, but there's something different about the jacket and core. 3250 fps 14 twist zmax won't blow up a PD, the vmax will. Twist the zmax hard or fling 'em fast they blow 'em up good.

They had to do something to get the price point down.

17. Rick in Oregon

Rick in Oregon

In .224" calibers, the 40gr Nosler BT or the 40gr Varmaageddon with it's flat base is the hot setup for the rats and chucks I shoot here. I also use their BT and Varmageddon in my .20 cal rifles too. Some of the very best groups I've ever shot were with the .20 cal Varmageddon in my Cooper 20VT (.061"). The rats all launch in chunks, and no rock chuck I've ever shot has survived any of Nosler's offerings. :D

FWIW, that dinky group mentioned above was shot with Nosler seconds!

18. jimmymac

jimmymac Silver $$ Contributor

Not according to Hornady tech support. To me, the Z-max introduction was just a marketing gimmick. The fact that they sell from time to time at a better price point is a bonus.

Screenshots from my correspondence with Hornady.

zmax1.jpg zmax2.jpg

timeout likes this.
  19. bloc

bloc

I have three 22 center fire rifles and I shoot a different 40 grain bullet in each depending on which seems to be the most accurate in a given rifle. And I emphasize the word “seems.” (All the rifles are very accurate.)

1) 40 grain VMax in my Stevens .223
    2) 40 grain Nosler BT in my .223 Savage LRPV
    3) 40 grain Berger FB in my .225.

Though I’d like to believe a pack of playful gremlins is deliberately trying to vex me, I suspect I’m a much bigger factor in the accuracy of any these rifles than any bullet I shoot in it.

I really don’t think the ground squirrels notice which of these bullets hit them, but I like to pretend that I'm, well, really on top of things.

boltman223 likes this.
  20. long40shot

Finally made it out today. My "range" visit wasn't the most solid. But, it verified my thoughts on the 40grn bullets in my 22-250. I couldn't use the bench at the pasture, the cows were behind the 100yd berm. So i pulled my truck down beside the berm and the cows took off. I set my targets up at the 200yd berm, then laid prone in the back of my truck. So, the 40grn v-max proved 1/2". The 40grn Nosler bt was slightly better. I plan on tuning things a bit to see if i can tighten groups up a little . Overall, i am really happy with the 40s in this gun. Can't wait to get back out. Using Varget btw.

Matt