Whats the best? Im upgrading..

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Sniper338, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Sniper338

Sniper338 Silver $$ Contributor

Whats the best powder scales on the market and best trickler to fill the tray on the scale?

Im upgrading, not because mine dont work, just because Im jumping in deeper and starting competitions.

2. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

What is your definition of "the best"? Sartorius scales are very excellent and are at or above the $1000.00 mark. The GemPro 250 is about $200.00 and will eek out the job. However, if you want the most "bang-for-the-buck", I would get a A&D FX-120I for about 500.00 bucks. It is fast accurate and very reliable. Then I use the Yellow Omega Trickler..

3. nmkid

nmkid Silver $$ Contributor

That about covers it!

4. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

FX120i and Adam Mac's trickler. It's so well thought out and fast you'll never look back.

5. Richard Coody

Richard Coody Silver $$ Contributor

geraldgee, madmixerman and Sniper338 like this.
  6. Sniper338

Fx-120i looks to be what everyones playing with. Im going to have to get one ordered asap.

7. Rushty

Rushty Gold $$ Contributor

Another vote for fx120i and Adams Auto Trickler.. you won't look back.

Cheers Rushty

XTR likes this.
  8. madmixerman

madmixerman Gold $$ Contributor

Cambridge Environmental has the best price I've found.They also sell Adams autotrickler as a package with the scale.

9. Sniper338

Yeah.. i have them pulled up to order from.. that auto tricker is a beast! I havent seen that before

10. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

11. Shynloco

Shynloco You can lead a horse to water, but ........ Silver $$ Contributor

+1. I bought a Gempro 250 and sold the thing a week later....tempermental as heck so I moved on and bought a Tanita that's works for me. It also depends on what you are reloading for in terms of pleasure or competition. I've heard many good things about the A&D FX-1201, but a bit pricey for me. But Shoots, I suspect you'll be pleased with A&D which I've heard zero complaints about.

Alex

Jet and ShootDots like this.
  12. Willie

Willie Silver $$ Contributor

I too tried to go cheaper with the GemPro and found it too slow to settle and it would drift, even with LED lighting. I went up to the A&D FX-120i. As a afterthought, I also purchased a Tripplite line conditioner. Everything is coming up roses now. Even the GemPro is behaving better. This is one of things you just have to have for repetitive results.

13. gstaylorg

gstaylorg Silver $$ Contributor

Balance:
    http://www.affordablescales.com/mettler-toledo/me-te/me104te.asp#.WW6-Z5Ek_1o

Trickler/scoops:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N8OIE8/?tag=accuratescom-20

Perfect mixture of high tech/lo tech ;).

Honestly, the Sartorius Entris is about the lowest priced magnetic force restoration analytical balance you'll find:
    http://balance.balances.com/scales/915/

Even as an entry-level analytical balance, the Entris is not inexpensive. However, you get what you pay for with balances. Before purchasing one of any type, the fist thing I would do is to decide to what level of precision I plan to weigh powder. That will usually point you in a specific direction. People here are using balances ranging from Scott Parker-tuned beam scales, to high end Mettler analytical balances, and everything in between. They all can work just fine. Once you decide how precise you want to be weighing powder, then you'll have a better idea what will/won't suit your needs.

14. Shynloco

Shynloco You can lead a horse to water, but ........ Silver $$ Contributor

Willie,
    Glad you found relief in the line conditioner. That drifting is something I learned about about years ago and discovered that in addition to a sound Surge Protector/Line Conditioner, measures can be taken to alleviate interference from various sources and I was successful in employing those methods in three RCBS scales that I still use today, in addition to the Tanita. But that darn GemPro just wouldn't cooperate so I sold it and apparently the buyer got the sucker to work in his reloading environment. But those A&D scales are really nice and have a couple of shooting buddies who use them. One of my Gunsmiths, who competes, has the Sartorius that is quite a setup for the ultra serious reloader. But no doubt the A&D gives very reliable results.

Alex

15. 50bmg1979

50bmg1979 Silver $$ Contributor

16. Richard Coody

Well for me accuracy to one kernel of powder is plenty. That is about 0.02grs.

Speed is another necessity.

Adam's system meets both of.these requirements

I have 3 gempros. When i used them i always trickled on one and checked the load on another one. Now that i have Adam's system they are stuck away in the reloading.cabinet.

Sniper338 likes this.
  17. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer Silver $$ Contributor

People don't just throw powder these days?

Ray

18. Richard Coody

I just sold a beautiful harrell benchrest powder measure. Hated to sell it but i never use it anymore. A work of art to me. So smooth in operation.

I think a lot of short range benchrest guy still drop charges but i believe that is changing.

For pistol and plinking ammo, even for the 3 gun guys no doubt a powder measure is the fastest way to charge cases.

To each his own. There is no right or wrong way. Just what works for you.

19. XTR

XTR

I throw my initial charges with a Harells then trickle it up the last .5 gr on an FX120i with an Autotrickler. This setup works very well for me.

Rushty likes this.
  20. Phil

Phil Gold $$ Contributor

Adam`s got my money too.........:rolleyes: