whats the best bench priming tool?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by muleystalker, Aug 29, 2016.

1. muleystalker

muleystalker Gold $$ Contributor

Looking to buy a bench mounted priming tool and would like to know what what everyone is using and why. I like the one that bullets.com makes but think I want to go with a primer feed system. I know a lot of people use the hand priming tools but I am having some wrist problems and need to go a bench mounted.

Thanks, Dave

2. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

I use a Holland Perfect Primer Seater......Not cheap but it lets my Granddaughter help me with loading the primer into the seater safely....Which was really why i got it in the 1st place. Now i am use to the thing and it really is a quality piece of equipment.

3. rkittine

rkittine Gold $$ Contributor

I like the priming station on the top of my Foster Coaxial Press.

Bob

4. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson

Very happy with my new CPS from Primal Rights

5. M-61

M-61 "Quis Separabit" Gold $$ Contributor

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    jghoghunter and LHSmith like this.
  6. Auto-X Fil

Auto-X Fil Silver $$ Contributor

There are some pretty fancy (expensive) priming tools, but the RCBS linked above works really well, and doesn't require touching the primers and potentially contaminating them with my filthy mitts. I can't imagine an improvement to that tool - unless it's this one, that takes APS strips. That would really make it a snap!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/713545/rcbs-aps-bench-priming-tool

7. savagedasher

savagedasher

Plus me Larry

Delaware_Ken likes this.
  8. Phil

Phil

RCBS bench priming tool.....

dannyjbiggs likes this.
  9. Kings X

Kings X Gold $$ Contributor

I agree with RCBS guys. Easy to spin the case for a second hit to get them square.

10. LarryDScott

LarryDScott Site $$ Sponsor

I like the LEE bench primer. LDS

Archis likes this.
  11. msinc

msinc

I used the Lee tools for many years, but they were pot metal and wore out pretty quickly. I then bought the Forster bench priming tool. It does not have the good positive stop feel to it that I was looking for, but it is made pretty well and works good so I do use it. But, when I am trying to be as accurate as possible and want to feel the positive stop of the primer seated all the way I use the Lee Ram Prime tool.

USMCDOC likes this.
  12. Matt in Virginia

Matt in Virginia

Plus me three... It works so well that my Sinclair tool stays in the box usually...

13. Keith Glasscock

Keith Glasscock True believer - Straight 284 Gold $$ Contributor

I recently bought this one as well. It works great after I learned how to make it work.

The feel *is* excellent. I can also put a dial indicator on the arm and read priming depth if I so choose.

If you buy one, be sure to torque the pivot for the feed tube. The same goes for the little priming punch. That won't stay tight, but a little dab of loctite fixes it. Indicators that things are a little loose are hard to miss. The primer feed will flip the primer out of the cup.

From a design standpoint, the only concern is that your head is on the mouth side of the case. Not directly over it, mind you, but in the area where priming flash could get to you. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!

I'm going to make a bench mounted shield for mine. I haven't set off a primer with it, but I want a little more protection.

14. Phil

Phil

Love to see the shield, when you get the logistics worked out Keith.........

15. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

Holland's "Perfect Primer Seater" is with out a doubt the easiest tool I have ever used to seat a primer. In measuring primer seating depth, (as best I can) it does a great job. However, one thing I don't like is that there is no, "feel" of the primer seating. But, I guess that part doesn't matter in this case because it's seating all my primers very consistently. I'm happy with it and my "old" fingers and hands really like it!

16. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

RCBS Aps with the strips and loading press for strips. Fast and adjustable .
    I have found at times too fast will jam.
    Need to have small plastic plunger guides as spare parts.
    Changes over from large to small .

I am about aged out of shooting make you a good deal on the package ?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  17. Michael C

Michael C Silver $$ Contributor

I love my RCBS bench priming tool.

dannyjbiggs likes this.
  18. savagedasher

savagedasher

I like the one on my Forster press seats the primer .002 below the case head . Larry

Matt in Virginia and Iowa Fox like this.
  19. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson

I'm tired of RCBS priming tools that have broken on me BR priming in not a volume deal I'll stick with my Sinclair.

20. muleystalker

muleystalker Gold $$ Contributor

Well looks like its going to be an RCBS bench priming tool, Thanks for everyones input I really appreciate all the personal opinions and advice.

Thanks again, Dave