What type and size milling machine ?

Discussion in 'Advanced Gunsmithing & Engineering' started by Daveinjax, Sep 30, 2016.

1. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

I'd hook it up and use it a little wherever it's setting. Is it 3phase

2. Daveinjax

Daveinjax Silver $$ Contributor

It's single phase but running power to it where it will be stored would be a pita. I'm in the back corner of a warehouse and I'd have to run extension cords a long way to it.

3. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

Oh I thought you had it somewhere where you live

4. carlsbad

carlsbad Details matter. Silver $$ Contributor

I had a Burke Millrite in my garage for 10 years but never used it. It was loaned from a friend and I found a Bridgeport at an estate sale the week after the millrite showed up. Turned out he was short on room and didn't want it back right away and I ended up storing it for 10+ years....his wife died and he moved back east. I sent word to him a couple of times. I was about to sell it when a guy called saying he had bought it and was on the way to pick it up....thought maybe I'd get something for storing it but nothing was ever mentioned.

These can be quite pricey since they are single phase, use R-8 arbor, and are smaller than a bridgeport for people who don't have room.

Sounds like you got a good deal.

-Jerry

5. Daveinjax

I've been playing around with my mill in storage just to get a feel for what it needs and looking at the spindle speed chart its slowest rpm is 250rpm and tops out at 3400rpm. I'm concerned about the 250rpm being too fast for a bottom end. It's a single phase so a VFD won't work as far as I know. I'm close to electrically illiterate so I'm asking is there a way to vary the speed like with a VFD with single phase ? When I say electrically illiterate I mean I don't know more than basic house and DC wiring. I've managed to rewire my house and plenty of boats but it's all just connecting a to b not understanding the reason behind it all.

6. carlsbad

Short answer, no, unless I've missed something new.

If your motor is not a custom frame size, you can likely find a 3ph motor cheap on ebay and then add a vfd. --Jerry

7. Daveinjax

That's what I thought :(. I'm going to just go with it the way it is and keep a lookout for a Bridgeport.

8. carlsbad

One more thought. Some motors can be wired for 2 speeds. Check the nameplate to see if this motor has that option. --Jerry