What to do with unshootable rounds?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Shinbone, Jun 11, 2019.

1. powderbrake

powderbrake Gold $$ Contributor

Yes you should not shoot the overpressure rounds,

I find the easiest way to pull bullets is with a Grip & Pull pliers.
    https://grip-n-pull.com/products/standard-rifle-grip-n-pull-bullet-puller

Sometimes it leaves a small mark, but generally not much more than a collet puller.
    I never use a pulled bullet for any shots that require accuracy. I use them for fouler shots or general plinking.

I reuse the powder, and resize the case..... yes that means I push out the primer, and I have to reprime.

2. Flouncer

Flouncer What the heck it works for me !! Gold $$ Contributor

I do not understand how an inertia hammer, with cotton padding at the bullet end can detonate. There is not contact between the primer and anything. The primer has to be crushed from the rear forward to flash. Right ? What mechanically happens ? - thanks

3. Straightshooter1

Straightshooter1 Gold $$ Contributor

It's my understanding from what I've read in the past that it has mostly to do with how the primer is seated to where the anvil has crushed down hard on the priming mix, which does something to make the mix more volatile.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  4. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

Beats me! In my case the powder did not ignite but the primer blew out the back of the case and shattered a fluorescent light bulb over my head. Best I could tell the blast from that little primer caused the top part of the hammer to fracture, causing it to dislocate from the handle.

5. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Gold $$ Contributor

Only the bullet is inserted in the collet puller, so essentially the same as any other unchambered ignition.

Personally I’d rather apply a slow controlled pull with a collet puller than swing it around the entire round with a hammer.

David

Mark W and AJC like this.
  6. Iowa Fox

Iowa Fox Silver $$ Contributor

Everybody in the reloading business should own at least one inertia and one collet bullet puller. In the scheme of things they don't cost that much. The easy way is always tuff enough.

7. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

The one i have, i think its a forster from the 70’s, looks just like a reloading die with a lever on the top, fully enclosing the round inside

8. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Gold $$ Contributor

Mine only holds the exposed part of the bullet; the collet is at the very bottom of the die.

David

Mark W likes this.