What older benchrest action do I buy???

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by steve123, Dec 15, 2017.

1. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

I've been thinking about your question, while reflecting on my own history of purchasing. I kinda started with your objective but modified it thru experience.I ended up just buying more actions. I shot my new "used" Hall for the first time, yesterday. It came with a ppc boltface. It also came with a 30br barrel. The brass for the 30br had been rebated professionally to work with the ppc boltface. That could work for you for some possible options, but not cover the 223 boltface. Early on, I bought a vise and planned on switching barrels on one good action. That takes time. Besides switching the barrel and cleaning out the anti seize, you have to rezero your scope.I found I would rather use that time to reload and shoot. If your bolts are going to cost $400 each, I think you should buy 2 actions. For the 223, you could consider a t3 or an old 595 and rebarreled it. Mine shoots great. I think the only limiting factor with that gun is me. Just putting some thoughts out there for consideration.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  2. steve123

steve123

Then I'd need a separate bolt/s for other cartridges which would probably cost another $500 each.

Just weighing all the options at this point.

3. steve123

steve123

Yeah, might end up doing that.

I called Shilen and talked to the lady who answered. We had a communication gap going on about the removable floating bolt heads but finally got the subject somewhat ironed o
    Thanks Mike!

4. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

With the "List", if you have a pretty good idea what you're looking for, your chances of finding something are good. Real good selection.:cool:

5. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

yeah Bob White has a great selection there.

6. steve123

steve123

Shilen didn't call back.

Ha, my head is spinning! More ideas keep occurring to me and I'm not sure which way I want to go.

I almost cheaped out and considered a TC Encore. Kinda the easy route with plenty of options for custom barrels and chamberings, plus it'd be easy to deal with super short wildcats that I envision using - you know about that with your little 20, aye Mike.

I discovered different bolt heads for the Bighorn TL3 can be had for $125, that pretty much settles it for me because I found one for $1250!!! Top quality and super versatility. Small chank Pre-fits abound or order a shouldered barrel without sending to the GS.

Only problem is it's going to cost me more than I had originally thought. I do have a 50% off certificate for a new Manners which will save me about $500 so that's cool.

Been wanting to try a Trigger Tech Diamond on the Mausingfield so I'll put the Calvin on the bighorn.

I learned some things in this post so thankyou all!

NorCalMikie likes this.
  7. hoz53

that Bighorn sounds good. I hope it works out well for you. Let us know how good it shoots

8. steve123

steve123

Update,

One of the cartridges I wanted to try is 20 Vartarg. A month ago I found a guy that had two 20-221AI rifles for sale,(close to the 20VT), both were done by a well respected smith with pacnor and Lilja barrels, with the reamer, custom dies, 200 formed brass, bullets, loaded rounds, both with 3-4 hundred rounds through them. I couldn't afford both even though the lot was fairly priced so the deal fell through.

Thursday evening, this same guy saw a scope I have advertised and decided he'd like to do some swapping. One is a trued M700 benchrest style rifle with 3" wide forend laminate with single shot adapter plate installed, that would work fine for me as far as this cartridge, and some others using that particular bolt head.

The other rifle is a CZ527 repeater. Handy for a walk around varminter

After reconsidering it, I'm going for it!

I'll get a 6BRA or Dasher for my Mausingfield which was going to be one of the reasons for the Bighorn.

Hey, this won't be my last gun purchase(God willing), so the future has plenty to look forward to.

NorCalMikie and swd like this.
  9. hoz53

sounds good-the more rifles the better :) Im not a switch barrel guy either. Ive just aquired enough actions for all the calibers i want to.
    merry xmas

10. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

As long as you're still breathing (a bit) you can do more gun stuff. Just as long as when you die, your wife doesn't sell your guns and related stuff for what you told her you paid for it.:eek::(:)

11. steve123

steve123

Ha, normally that would be the case, especially with the ex, anything she wanted was acceptable by concession but the opposite for anything I wanted.

The new wifey of 12 years now is an absolute sweetheart. I spend my money however I want and so does she. It's unfair though, biased towards my favor because she likes me so much :cool:

She knows I have been hunting around for this stuff for a while and how much it costs.

I buy cool guy stuff and she buys silly girl stuff, such is life, so we're both happy.

12. steve123

steve123

I much prefer not having to do the switch barrel thing if at all possible which hasn't worked out to be that way. Maybe at this rate if I keep going at it before I retire...