What older benchrest action do I buy???

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by steve123, Dec 15, 2017.

1. steve123

steve123

My goals are having a nice high quality single shot benchrest action that I can still buy bolts in different bolt face sizes, 223 sized face, PPC and 308 sized.

An older, or used benchrest action, because I don't need the rblpre thing for fast shooting, I'm going to be shooting slow or just varmint hunting. Just grabbing the case out is fine with me.

A long time ago I bought a RFD action that had a soft bolt face which peened the firing pin hole in enough that the firing pin would stick. I've read of other actions not having enough spring strength to positively ignite primers consistently. What I'm getting at is I don't want any problems, just a good old reliable action.

I also want to be able to buy parts as needed.

Lastly I'm trying to buy used to save money.

Which actions do you suggest and why?

Thanks

2. MarkS

MarkS Silver $$ Contributor

A Hall is good action. They are still made, parts no problem. I have had 2 or 3. If You can find any action in RT RP or RT LP, you can pick the up at a good price. I have had the Hall boldface opened from PPC to 6BR. I have Bat and Stiller action I got used, saves a lot of money.

Mark

3. Sniper338

Sniper338 Silver $$ Contributor

I could be wrong, you could end up finding a smoking hot deal. However, a custom action doesnt really loose value a whole lot, at least to me and what Ive seen. You may get a few hundred off, but then a new barrel, getting something built.. in the long run its only a few bucks saved maybe where as a few buck more you could just have new...

diff story if you find a used gun for 1800 or so that costed 3000 to build.. its a toss up..

4. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

I have a Bat S serial #7 that is a RB LP no ejector that has cycled countless rounds that is a beautiful running action.....

5. Greyfox

Greyfox Gold $$ Contributor

I guess I'd want to know your budget. It was said earlier in the thread that benchrest actions don't lose much value and that's true up to a point. It's not that difficult to find a complete panda for under $1500. Of course, the barrel is not worth much and you can either sell the stock or use it as is. There aren't many parts on a benchrest action that need replacing, maybe an extractor from time to time, but in fifteen years I think that's all I've needed. You might want to rethink the extra bolt thing. Another bolt for a custom action is spendy. By the time you pick up a new bolt, you could have just bought a new action in the first place. I've made some great buys on Wichita and Shilen DGA's and you can still get parts for both. Since speed isn't a big deal a Remington 40X might be a good choice as you could get that extra bolt for a reasonable cost and they are as accurate as a custom, just not as smooth or as fast.

Good luck,
    Rick

Toby Bradshaw likes this.
  6. steve123

steve123

Thanks guys, that's all great information!

Just for conversation sake I bought the complete RFD rifle for $1200 with a new 6mmPPC barrel on it which I later sold for $250, it also came with brass, bullets and dies. I had a new barrel put on in 6-284 for $550 total, so $1500 got me into a nice long range varmint rifle.

I'm not opposed to buying an action in a stock without a barrel or for that matter a whole rifle but like everyone else I'm looking for a deal, say in the sub $1500 range. I saw that Masker Sealy benchrest rifle in the classifieds for a decent price which would work for me as long as I can get a 223 bolt later.

I priced a single shot Bighorn TL3 today and just the action was almost $1500. It'd be nice in the fact that I could buy just bolt heads instead of a whole bolt.

Ultimately I'd like one of those fancy laminate burly maple stocks but a standard benchrest composite stock is fine for now.

7. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Have you considered a Savage target action? I believe you can change bolt heads on them. From what I've read, they're pretty good actions. Otherwise, you can "obsessively" watch the classifieds for a deal. I have and got a couple great deals. The only itch in your thinking is the extra bolts, which can cost $3-4 hundred each. You could look at a Stiller action. PT&G might make bolts for them. They're a 700 clone. One of my good deals was a single shot Stiller action in a Kelbly stock with 2 barrels. 6.5-47 and 30br. I'm happy with it. My latest buys have been old Tikka 595s and 695s off Gunbroker. They're great actions. Flat bottomed and smooth as silk. I buy the rifles for $5-750 and send them off for a new barrel.

8. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

You can get a brand new Haverkamp for $905. Very nicely made actions. The best thing to do is just watch the classifieds a few time a days, every day. Sooner or later something will come up at a great price. I bought 2 nice benchrest actions, both with Jewells. One for $650 and one for $700. And a complete rifle in excellent shape for $1550. The screaming deals come up you just have to be ready when they do.

jimmymac likes this.
  9. steve123

steve123

I just can't get excited about a Savage action, although the one single shot I tried was okay. I just prefer nicer stuff which is part of the fun for me.

Nice, that's a good tip on the older Tikka's.

10. steve123

steve123

That Haverkamp might just do the trick! I'll call to see how much bolts cost.

Yeah, patience...

swd likes this.
  11. Skunce

Skunce

If you're considering a new action, take a look at the Bighorn. It has interchangeable bolt heads at reasonable cost. They also make a single shot.

12. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

Shilen sells a custom action that has remington footprint, uses remington trigger( you can use a jewel)savage tenon threads and removable boltheads. last i knew around 1000- extra bolts from the custom action companies are in the 4 to 500 range from wat ive seen so unless youre lucky and find an action with extra bolts cheap the removable bolt head idea seems the only way to stay in your budget. i believe the shilen is made by stiller and i have heard good things about them

13. steve123

steve123

I called Haverkamp, he was very reluctant to make an extra 223 bolt. He suggested buying two actions because an extra bolt would be $500. Otherwise buying the one action for $905 is a good price.

14. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

Well thats a bummer. Nice actions especially for the price. $500 is fair enough for a bolt, too bad he's not on board with it.

You might post a wanted in the classifieds. There might be someone with exactly what you need just sitting in their safe.

joshb likes this.
  15. ab_bentley

ab_bentley I fix stuff, sometimes.... Silver $$ Contributor

Have you thought about a new RR 700 stainless single shot? I know it's not a BR action but with the addition of a PTG cone bolt you'll habe plenty of money left over to buy more components. If you're not satisfied with that answer look for a used Panda.

Adam

16. 6MMsteve

6MMsteve Gold $$ Contributor

can't you buy a Borden for 1050?

17. steve123

steve123

Those are great suggestions. I didn't know about the RR700.

Thanks

18. steve123

steve123

That might be the best way to go, I'll call them, thanks.

19. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

20. Pappy42

Pappy42 Gold $$ Contributor

I have only owned a trued Remington action, a Panda, and a Bat. On any given day, they will all shoot better than me. Value; I would have to go with a used Panda.