What MOA you getting with your Semi

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by Punxsy Guy, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Punxsy Guy

Punxsy Guy Gold $$ Contributor

I have a Christensen arms ca-10 chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. I was just wondering what MOA you're getting for your hand loads.

And one other thing. Do you crimp your hand loads or do you give the bullet only 3 or 4 thousands worth of press with bushinf die. I have been reddings full length bushing dies.

Thank you and have a good day?

2. damoncali

damoncali Gold $$ Contributor

In my experience, if you have an AR that will shoot consistent 5 shot groups under 1 MOA, you’ve got a keeper. 1 to 1.25 MOA is more typical from a well done semi. Worse for rack grade.

Most people don’t crimp anything match grade for an AR. For a .223, 2 thous of tension is plenty. I bet it’d be fine for a creed, but I’ve never had one of those.

3. 1shot

1shot Site $$ Sponsor

I've got an AR-10T that will shoot sub 1/2 moa groups right out of the box. I never crimp the ammo but do run .0035 neck tension.
    i hope this helps,

lloyd

4. MikeMcCasland

MikeMcCasland Silver $$ Contributor

I've got an AR10 in 260 with a Lilja, and I'm probably averaging around .8-.9 with the best load I've found for the rifle.

They are fun rifles, but they can be very frustrating. Not uncommon to see ~4 rounds clustered very close together, then have it throw one of them.

I'm not crimping, and running .002 neck tension.

Edit: I've got some .223 based ARs that are silly accurate for a semi.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  5. jwing

jwing

3 in at 800

6. Nature Boy

Nature Boy

My M1A will keep 5 shots at 100 between 1 and .750 MOA if I don't let the barrel get too hot.

7. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

My AR10/15s typically .75 is about normal for those gas guns. My Rem 742, Browning BAR and Win 100s are all over 1" at 100. No comparison to the ARs.

Shooter16 likes this.
  8. Puzzaz01

Puzzaz01 Gold $$ Contributor

Dang it boy you need to start shooting some bench rest tournaments with that rig.

Darrin

9. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Still working up loads for 6mm223,
    70 gr varmageddon balistic tips .3" @ 100.
    Mir 4895 cci450's

10. ronemus

ronemus Silver $$ Contributor

My AR space gun (NRA High Power & Long Range) shoots 1/2 - 2/3 MOA from the bench; that's limited by my bench abilities and having the rifle set up for position shooting (it doesn't ride the bags well). There may be half a dozen parts in it that are stock - it's heavily modified so it's essentially a semi-auto free rifle. I shot an Anschutz 1413 in high school and college, so I'm used to making the rifle fit me rather than the reverse.

11. JLT

JLT Gold $$ Contributor

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This is what my 24" bull barreled 'mouse gun' can do with some regularity. These groups were shot off a bipod, the first two from the left at 100 yards, the third at 200 meters. The first group from the left is the smallest group I've ever shot from a bipod, hell, it's one of the smallest groups I've ever shot, period. That group is a monument to positive outcome probability, however, that is one semi-auto that can shoot.

I shot this rifle often at steel matches. On it's first trip to the line, I put two shots into a sighter bull at 100. First one was just a whisker off center at 1 o'clock. I fired the second round and the spotter looked at me and said 'You missed'. I replied 'Don't think so. You might want to look a little more carefully.' Deep crimson blush from the spotter and more than a little laughter from the others in attendance, and nary a word from him for the rest of the day.

hogpatrol and Bc'z like this.
  12. LVLAaron

LVLAaron Silver $$ Contributor

My AR15 can shoot 10 round groups the size of a nickel at 100 yards. My AR10's look more like shotguns.

13. Damon555

Damon555

My 6mmAR shoots groups like the one in the upper right target on a pretty regular basis with the right bullet.....

[​IMG]

wildchild likes this.
  14. Evan

Evan

For a moment I thought the center was your group and I was looking for a distance, thinking that would be pretty nice at 500+. :D Reading helps with comprehension...

wholman and Damon555 like this.
  15. 2506

A lot goes into getting accuracy out of any weapon but semi autos seem to take a bit more work. First off you can only shoot as good as you can see. Scope quality and magnification power has a lot to do with accuracy. Shooting form even down to if you grip the pistol grip of ARs or not I have found effects accuracy. But on average all my ARs hover around 1 MOA give a half one way or the other depending mostly on barrel quality.

16. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Silver $$ Contributor

1/2" or better grps at 100yds out if my PA10 18"bbl with FGMM 168gr. Shot about the same with 155AMAX handloads. Gun has always been accurate but problematic reliability. Anything over 2500fps MV is over pressure. Marks on case heads.

17. 10ring1

10ring1

18. Downhill

Downhill

Like ronemus said, I have a WhiteOak Armament space gun-26 inch that will hold 1/2 to 2/3 moa with bag riders off the bench. Can be great shooters just tougher to get there.

19. Raptor

Raptor

I built my own AR10 on an Areo Precision upper and lower. I used a shilen std weight barrel and the damn thing shoot like a bolt gun!!! The only problem is I use a can and the loads that shot really well was really hard on my brass. So I had to back them off and though it won't shoot quite as well it still shoots around .5 moa. The 300yd group is shot off the hood of my PU....

Attached Files:

Punxsy Guy likes this.
  20. dnellans

dnellans

my competition bolt gun actually will shoot .5 moa 5 shot groups day in and day out. it’s not bench rest but it is what it is. lots of targets to back it up.

i’ve never gotten a semi to shoot substantially under 1moa under same criteria. some hero groups of course but after 1000 rounds of wasted time on semi auto groups when i find a load that shoots anything less then moa with my 2 semi’s, i call it a day. i’ve had a few guns/barrels that never could even do that.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018