What MOA you getting with your Semi

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by Punxsy Guy, Aug 10, 2018 at 11:29 PM.

1. Punxsy Guy

Punxsy Guy Gold $$ Contributor

I have a Christensen arms ca-10 chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. I was just wondering what MOA you're getting for your hand loads.

And one other thing. Do you crimp your hand loads or do you give the bullet only 3 or 4 thousands worth of press with bushinf die. I have been reddings full length bushing dies.

Thank you and have a good day?

2. damoncali

damoncali Gold $$ Contributor

In my experience, if you have an AR that will shoot consistent 5 shot groups under 1 MOA, you’ve got a keeper. 1 to 1.25 MOA is more typical from a well done semi. Worse for rack grade.

Most people don’t crimp anything match grade for an AR. For a .223, 2 thous of tension is plenty. I bet it’d be fine for a creed, but I’ve never had one of those.

3. 1shot

1shot Site $$ Sponsor

I've got an AR-10T that will shoot sub 1/2 moa groups right out of the box. I never crimp the ammo but do run .0035 neck tension.
    i hope this helps,

lloyd

4. MikeMcCasland

MikeMcCasland

I've got an AR10 in 260 with a Lilja, and I'm probably averaging around .8-.9 with the best load I've found for the rifle.

They are fun rifles, but they can be very frustrating. Not uncommon to see ~4 rounds clustered very close together, then have it throw one of them.

I'm not crimping, and running .002 neck tension.

Edit: I've got some .223 based ARs that are silly accurate for a semi.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 10:14 AM
  5. jwing

jwing

6. Nature Boy

Nature Boy

My M1A will keep 5 shots at 100 between 1 and .750 MOA if I don't let the barrel get too hot.

7. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

My AR10/15s typically .75 is about normal for those gas guns. My Rem 742, Browning BAR and Win 100s are all over 1" at 100. No comparison to the ARs.

Shooter16 likes this.
  8. Puzzaz01

Puzzaz01 Gold $$ Contributor

Dang it boy you need to start shooting some bench rest tournaments with that rig.

Darrin

walker2713 likes this.
  9. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Still working up loads for 6mm223,
    70 gr varmageddon balistic tips .3" @ 100.
    Mir 4895 cci450's

10. ronemus

ronemus Silver $$ Contributor

My AR space gun (NRA High Power & Long Range) shoots 1/2 - 2/3 MOA from the bench; that's limited by my bench abilities and having the rifle set up for position shooting (it doesn't ride the bags well). There may be half a dozen parts in it that are stock - it's heavily modified so it's essentially a semi-auto free rifle. I shot an Anschutz 1413 in high school and college, so I'm used to making the rifle fit me rather than the reverse.

11. JLT

JLT Gold $$ Contributor

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This is what my 24" bull barreled 'mouse gun' can do with some regularity. These groups were shot off a bipod, the first two from the left at 100 yards, the third at 200 meters. The first group from the left is the smallest group I've ever shot from a bipod, hell, it's one of the smallest groups I've ever shot, period. That group is a monument to positive outcome probability, however, that is one semi-auto that can shoot.

I shot this rifle often at steel matches. On it's first trip to the line, I put two shots into a sighter bull at 100. First one was just a whisker off center at 1 o'clock. I fired the second round and the spotter looked at me and said 'You missed'. I replied 'Don't think so. You might want to look a little more carefully.' Deep crimson blush from the spotter and more than a little laughter from the others in attendance, and nary a word from him for the rest of the day.

Bc'z likes this.