What is it about the H line of powders that makes them popular?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by gtl1946, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Rushty

Rushty Gold $$ Contributor

Supply has been good for last few years, but we’ve had our fair share of powder shortage in WA in recent years... Reloader is virtually non existent here.

2. Steve Ladino

Steve Ladino Silver $$ Contributor

I too have little experience with AR Comp but do believe the canisters statement and testing showed excellent accuracy with less powder, same bullet, primer, case etc. as Varget.

3. Barlow

Barlow Silver $$ Contributor

RL15 in my 6 Dasher is all I have used for years, it just flat works, RL17 in my newly rebarreled 257AI is magic powder. Barlow

4. Alliant Reloading

Alliant Reloading

Great feedback gentlemen, thank you. I'll not comment on any of the marketing stuff, as I am not qualified for wordsmithing (there is no math involved).
    Shoot well,
    Paul

Mulligan and shoot4fun like this.
  5. boltfluter

boltfluter

If you want to drive yourself nuts, go coyote hunting with RL15 on a day where temps start at 20 deg. in the am and swing to 75 deg. in the afternoon . This will make you pull your hair out when taking long shots. The "ever" changing zero.:mad: One day was enough for me. Back to Varget and never looked back.:D:D

Paul

okie, Ledd Slinger, swd and 1 other person like this.
  6. 270WinDude

270WinDude

Any one use rl15 in a 30-06 type case? I need a powder for 90 to 110gr bullets in my 270. I’m thinking rl15, rl19, varget, or 4064. For the 130-140 s I just bought several and so far I’m leaning towards rl22. 24’bbl

7. #40Fan

#40Fan

You should get the team together and post more 6.5 Creedmoor data. I am sure everyone would like to see some in the 22/23/25/26 lines.

8. Alliant Reloading

Alliant Reloading

#40Fan and Laurie like this.
  9. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

This may be leaning toward the one thing that has H powders still on top. They have a very comprehensive reloading data center online. It is free to use and very well laid out. They provide useful data for all the powders that will fit for every cartridge they list in the guide and it is the easiest of all the online guides to navigate all the info.
    @Alliant Reloading every time I have ever called Alliant or contacted you thru PM here they have been super cooperative and very pleasant to talk to. When I asked for info on Alliant testing with 6.5 Creedmoor you were right there with tons of useful data in a very well laid out chart form. Well, it wasn't in the online guide then and, if it had been, it wouldn't have been so easy to use.
    So, and believe me, marketing types don't want to hear anything from real people and don't understand it when they do (marketing has their own "speak") but more data and better layout would make it easier for everyone to see just how Alliant powders stack up against ALL other brands.

270WinDude and Laurie like this.
  10. Laurie

Laurie

11. Laurie

Laurie

I quite agree. This is a big plus for Hodgdon's three powder ranges and the online facility really offers a comprehensive service and is easy to use. Hodgdon has always been 'hot' on this subject, as I understand it all the way back to Bruce Hodgdon's early powder supply days and his traveling the length and breadth of the US participating in how to handload shows with other pioneers in the tool and components supply business.

12. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Yes quick online references steer a lot of people to the H line. I know if im helping a guy load some deer ammo i steer him that direction so i dont have to buy a manual just for whatever hes shooting. 3mins on a smartphone and i can get the deer bullets started.

13. HTSmith

HTSmith Silver $$ Contributor

So I'll pat Alliant on the head and step on their toes in the same post. I really like their shotgun powders. I started with Red Dot 35 years ago. ExtraLite is my current favorite. Go to their bushing charts and try to find info for ExtraLite. Oh and go look for Clay Dot. It ain't there either. Now go to Hodgdon's site and take a look. They have every powder for every loader brand in a very easy to use format. Sometimes MBA's get caught up in all the cool trends and forget the basics. Web presence is huge these days. And yes I'm going to try R16 because I got tired of not being able to find H4350. My $.02

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  14. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

H4350 has been available here all along. So has Varget. Primers are what's scarce, especially Federal match. Matt

LA50SHOOTER likes this.
  15. HTSmith

HTSmith Silver $$ Contributor

For 18 months H4350 was not to be had around here. Plenty of it now. I have an extra sleeve of 210M's if you were closer.

16. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

In my testing of with 3 different cartridges from 6XC, 6.5 Rem Mag, and 338-375 Ruger, RL16 is almost an exact match for H4350 in charge weights. RL16 will give better case fill tho and slightly higher velocity. Of course start low and work up

HTSmith and Bc'z like this.