What is it about the H line of powders that makes them popular?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by gtl1946, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Qcredneck

Qcredneck

Plain ol' marketing

boltfluter and Ledd Slinger like this.
  2. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

Exactly right. Tell the people what they want to hear. Doesn't matter if it's right or wrong.

270WinDude and msinc like this.
  3. South Prairie jim

South Prairie jim

Sir
    Forgive me interrupting the thread.
    Do you recommend RL-15 for 6 br i see some shooters have had good luck and others seem to believe it's temp sensitive.
    I tried it once in my 308 vs Varget with mixed results- my opinion was it was hotter or sharper by recoil although grouped fairly well I've just not gotten back to it.
    Regards
    Jim

6MMsteve likes this.
  4. Ledd Slinger

Here's how I look at it powders.
    *This is only my personal experience*

If you want the highest velocity in a round, use Alliant powders. Hands down faster than any equivalent Hodgdon/IMR powders.

Alliant can give you just as good accuracy as other powders, but they may need to be tweaked a little after large temp changes with the exception being RL16. RL16 is very stable and forgiving if you can find the accuracy node. (RL23 may be the same, but I haven't found anything that really likes it for accuracy yet.) The old Alliant powders, RL19, RL22, RL25 are very temp sensitive so beware. I also found that Alliant powders seem to be more forgiving on neck tension and seating depth which make it pretty easy for me to find and maintain good loads as long as the temperatures aren't drastically different.

Hodgdon Extreme powders give me respectable speeds and good accuracy, just seems I have to fight to find it a little more by playing with primers, seating depths, and neck tension. But once I find it, they are very stable in moderate temp swings. Makes them good for long strings of fire at the range.

I have two of the new IMR Enduron powders, 4451 and 7977, but haven't tested them yet. The old IMR powders are sensitive to temp changes.

I don't mess around with Vitavhouri or Norma powders because they aren't easily found in my local sporting goods stores. I don't like having powder shipped if I can avoid it.

5. msinc

msinc

That's one way of saying it...still another might be: "if you cant dazzle 'em with brilliance then baffle 'em with bull $hit!!!" The great American word games we all like to play. If you really want to see just how stupid people can get over words go on the scope forum and post about how well your scope "gathers" light, then sit back and read all the posts about that comment. Good god y'all!!!! Lets not forget shoulders that don't move and datum lines......
    All that said, the "H" line of powders have never been popular with me....everyone seems to be getting high just breathing the fumes of fresh Varget...I have never been able to get Varget to impress me in anything. Not that it's bad powder at all, it has to be the most versatile there is, but versatile and small tight groups are two different things. Now, Reloder 26 and heavy bullets....that's like cocaine for your rifle!!!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    #40Fan, Ledd Slinger and Bc'z like this.
  6. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

It is possibly the most accurate powder in any of the BR variants. It worth about .1gn per 10 degrees in my experience. I shot it in a dasher in 2014 and in March the load was 33, by August I was at 32.5 to stay in tune. More work, but for me it was worth it.

6MMsteve likes this.
  7. South Prairie jim

South Prairie jim

I have a jug in my safe perhaps I should take a second look. I have a Tikka 308 with a #11 twist barrel it seems to like a little hotter load, 44.2 gr. Varget under a 168 a max always made tight groups.
    So maybe 43.6 is a good place to start with RL-15 in the 308
    Just curious
    Thank you
    Jim

8. South Prairie jim

South Prairie jim

Sorry I'm not comfortable with that last reference.
    Just me of course
    Jim

9. vtmarmot

vtmarmot

"Cocaine for your rifle?" That's all I need, a bunch of rifles breaking out of there safes and snorting up my powder supply! That could get expensive fast!

6MMsteve and msinc like this.
  10. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

I shoot alot of alliant powders also, I have for years. I still have the 1st pound of H4350 I ever bought for load development in a 30-06.
    As for Rl26, it's like magic. Good accuracy, better velocity, seems like softer recoil not as sharp. IMO

11. Steve Ladino

Steve Ladino

They say that they do right on the container ( AR Comp )

shoot4fun likes this.
  12. Ledd Slinger

Jim, I use RL-15 in a couple 20 cal and 6mm varmint rifles. Ridiculously accurate for me and excellent speeds. Not saying that it will work in your 308, but it's definitely worth a try.

South Prairie jim likes this.
  13. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

I shoot F and Steel Varmint. In Northern California and Nevada we shoot in temps from the low 20's to 105+. I've been shooting RL16 since it came out. In the cartridges I shoot it holds X ring nicely from winter to summer with the same load. I've burned a lot of H powders over the years but the new Alliant powders are VERY good and well worth a try.

boltfluter, msinc and mikeinct like this.
  14. Laurie

Laurie

Is there any chance our seeing this trio in Europe Paul?

15. South Prairie jim

South Prairie jim

I would start with a reduced charge for a recipe RL- 15 is IMO kinda hot.
    Jim

16. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

I had AR Comp on my mind when I typed that. It did not (at least in my small amount of experience with it) keep me from making my comments.

17. 6MMsteve

6MMsteve Gold $$ Contributor

Alex Wheeler does a lot of testing, I don't personally know him but he is always in the winners circle, IMHO his word is good on R15

South Prairie jim likes this.
  18. Rushty

Rushty Gold $$ Contributor

The H line is terrible.. specially Varget, 4895 and H4350... don’t buy any of these ever again.. ;)

boltfluter likes this.
  19. Ledd Slinger

Deal! ;)

Rushty likes this.
  20. RDavies

RDavies Silver $$ Contributor

I've never been to a local gun shop which didn't have more than enough of these in stock to keep everyone happy. I wish I could find more RE16 though.