What is a good varmint pistol cal. ?

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by Austin, May 1, 2006.

1. Austin

Austin

I am wanting to build a varmint pistol but don't know where to start.I am looking for a good caliber for a for Coyotes, Rock Chucks,and Sage Rats.It will be used to mabey 200yds.It will be on a REM short action.I have narrowed it down to a few but still to many.204ruger,221rem fireball,223rem,22ppc,6mmppc, 6mmbr.Do you guys have any sudgestions on calibers.Also who makes a good walnut or syn. pistol stock.

2. NeilNE

NeilNE

Any one of the cal. you suggest are good for 200yds. I shoot a 6TCU and 223 AI. I got my BR pistol stock for Six Lee.

3. mikeinct

mikeinct

I'd build a Savage striker in 6 MMBR...In the pistol I'd take advantage of a slower rifling twist than I use in my rifle..say a twelve twist, instead of the ten twist I like in a varmint rifle...The lighter [say under 75 grains]6mm bullets would be perfect for up to two hundred yd shooting...The savage gun is easy to do swap barrels on..If u neeeded or wanted to the bolt face could be converted to accept 223 diameter cartridges..You would be able to cover all your needs up to & including a pretty serious big game cartridge in that action..It could accept a 308 lenght so there are many fine choices..The 35 remington comes to mind..Building one really good pistol with a good trigger & one good scope sight on a stock that fits you..then u have something there..good luck, mike in ct

4. roninboise

roninboise

My personal varmint pistols are a Competitor in 17 Rem. and an XP100 in 223. I have 7X Burris pistol scopes on both,a 10X has to small a field of view) I limit the 17 rem to about 125 yards but have taken Rock Chucks out to 200 yards with the XP. I use a 25gr. bullet in the 17 and a 52gr. Berger in the 223. I moly coat everything.

Ron Baldner

5. Preacher

Preacher Gold $$ Contributor

Austin,
    You can not build a pistol on a SA Remington action, the ATF will not allow that.
    But you can find a XP-100 and build to your hearts content with no problem from the ATF guys.
    A 6mm BR is the most accurate of any of the cartridges you mentioned.
    I shoot a 6br in a 20 inch bench rest type pistol with a 1 in 14 twist and 66 grain Fowlers are awesome, and I shoot ground hogs out to 300 yards with it.
    If you have trouble finding a stock for the XP let me know and maybe I can help you out with that.

6. Cheechako

Cheechako

Austin

It's a good thing the preacher saw your post before you got too far into your project. He's right. Building a pistol from a rifle receiver will get you nothing but grief and possibly some boyfriends in Leavenworth. Use an XP 100, a Stolle Cub, or a Dodd pistol action.

Preacher

Not to be a disagreeable sort, but the 6PPC is a much more accurate cartridge, in a pistol or otherwise, out to 500 or 600 yards. Back when there were NBRSA pistol Benchrest matches, most, if not all of the pistols were chambered for the PPC. A lot of 100 yard groups in the ones and the pistols beat the BR rifles a few times, head to head.

Ray

7. Austin

Austin

Thanks guys for watching out for me.Why do the ATF have a problem with rifle actions?

8. SnakeEye

SnakeEye

The answer is ..they are idiots....!

Now to answer your question, in a long range pistol I think most varmints can be taken out to 400-500 yards. My choice would be a very accurate round that doesn't recoil to bad and give you more confidence in long shots. My choice would be anything in a PPC cse, 17 ppc, 20 ppc, 22 ppc 6 ppc. Next choice would be 20, 22, 6 mm in a BR case. Other choice would be anything in the .223 case. Next would be a good rifle scope, 4.5x14 min. to a 6.5x20. I like a rear grip stock with a fairly wide forearm that will lay in a sand bag or accomadate a bi-pod.

Here's a few of my rigs:

Rampro 20 ppc, also have a 17m4 barrel for it. http://www.varmintsforfun.com/Rampropistol.html

[​IMG]

XP 100 in 22 br http://www.varmintsforfun.com/customxp100.html

[​IMG]

Here's a stock you may want to get if you decide on what you want. You can find it here under micellanous. Richard's Custom Rifles

[​IMG]

Varmints For Fun

9. Austin

Austin

Nice rigs.Makes me drule.I have narrowed it down to 5 rounds.22ppc,22br,6ppc,6br,223.I will try to sort through these cartridges for what I want.What bullets and weights do you guys recamend for 200yard chuck to a 400yard hay field coyote for these.What one would you guys pick for a,do it all) cartridge for this.Sorry for picking your brains so much.

10. Rupe

Rupe

Don't mean to muddy the waters, but I shoot a stock rear grip XP chambered in 22-250 Rem that is a shooter. Thinking about building a bench pistol. but chambered in 22-250 AI. You may want to add that one to the mix.

Rupe

11. Dogfox

Dogfox

Hi
    I have a 6BR in a H&S precision pistol and they know how to make an accurate pistol.It is pushing a 65 grain vmax @ 3223 fps out of a 18 inch barrel using 32 grains of N135.It is topped with a Burris 3X12x32 handgun scope and I can achieve under 1/2 inch groups @ 100 yards.It is a sweet round to shoot and not much recoil as I do not have a muzzle brake on it.
    Dogfox

12. ballistic64

ballistic64 Silver $$ Contributor

What if the Rem action is brand new and has never been a rifle yet?

13. sewwhat89

sewwhat89

It depends on what the action was classified as when it left the factory. The xp actions Remington is using on some of their rifles now cannot be made back into a pistol either. Check with the smith that will be building it, and they should be able to guide you.

14. Austin

Austin

Thanks everybody.To simplify things,who would go with the 22 category or 6mm category.

15. sewwhat89

sewwhat89

6mm

If you want to stretch its legs a little more, the bcs are more friendly to allow you to do that, and there are more bullets available too.

16. Cochran

Cochran

I copied this from another forum. Truth or not...I dont know.

"This is a continuing saga of my post on this forum about a legal Remington 700 pistol. After some talks with the BATF I found that I could purchase an action by itself from Midway and assemble it as a pistol. Whala! "

17. Austin

Austin

HMMMM.Very interesting.I don't see the difference between an action from Midway and a dissasembled 700 rifle.Go figger.

18. Cheechako

Cheechako

I'd get it in writing.:rolleyes:

Ray

19. 457ciSBC

457ciSBC

There's a world of difference. If one takes a previous manfacturered rifle and converts it into a pistol you have manufactured a short barreled rifle, an NFA item.

If Remington sold Midway or Brownells a batch of actions that never were configured as a rifles in any form or fashion, how could you not use the action to make a pistol?

When Sako actions were available the ATF didn't have a problem with them being made into pistols either.

Here's the gist of what I was told by the ATF several years ago.

A factory action that left it's facilities and was distributed as an action only that never was documented and sold as a complete rifle can be made into a pistol.

I was also told that if one takes a pistol and converts it to a rifle that when it sold and documented as a rifle, it can no longer be converted back to a pistol.

Mike

20. Austin

Austin

Sorry.I was thinking wrong.Thanks Mike for setting me right.