What improvements have you made in 2017 did you reach any of your goals

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by Tim Singleton, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Tim Singleton

Tim Singleton Gold $$ Contributor

I set these goals for myself in 2017 to win a 2gun competition shoot a100 yd teen agg a200yd teen agg and shoot a teen grand agg. And to earn at lest one SE region Hall of Fame point.
    Pretty large undertaking. With chambering my own rifles bedding/glueing the actions in myself.

While I fell short with the 2gun win. I did achieve a few other things on the list last match of the year 2017 Brady Knight memorial
    LV -100 a .1420 agg win with a dq. LV-200 a win with a .2091 agg. LV Grand agg .1755 my gun was 1.2 oz heavy So DQ and no Grand agg win.
    A teen agg of .1760 for the HV100 not good enough to win that match tho
    I did win the LV200 to earn one SER HOF point bringing the total to 4

What goals did you have for yourself in 2017 how did you come out?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  2. Berger.Fan222

Berger.Fan222

My goals were more in terms of shooting greater numbers of matches and broadening my participation in a wider array of events, adding tactical rifle and several action pistol disciplines.

I won more matches in 2017 than in any previous year and I'm improving and increasing classifications in various disciplines. It would be great to continue improving scores, wins, and classifications in 2018, but I think my real goals are more closely related to what I have more FUN doing and likely more measured by how many matches my students, friends, and family shoot and win; how many weekends a month I can get out and shoot matches; and how much ammo I burn.

I take a careful, deliberate approach to improvement, so if we can burn, say 10,000 rounds of ammunition, me and my peeps are all gonna get a lot better and have lots of FUN in the process. (Closer to 5k rounds in 2017.)

Tim Singleton likes this.
  3. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Silver $$ Contributor

I went from Expert to Master in F-Class. Now working on HM for this year, or if I could just score higher than BP1 I would settle for that. That seems to be the harder goal.

4. marty dabney

marty dabney

Set a few goals this year, met some and fell a little short on a few.

Wanted to win the P100 at Perry before I went Distinguished but finished 9th.

Wanted to get Distinguished by getting 3 golds at Perry. Legged out with 2 golds and a silver.

Wanted to win the Creedmoor cup. Won the first day and finished 2nd overall Service Rifle.

Overall a good year. Buying a house 3 weeks before Perry made it hard to settle into a routine but managed. Looking forward to 2018.

Tim Singleton and DirtySteve like this.
  5. BP1

BP1 Gold $$ Contributor

I set a goal about midway through 2017 to settle on one discipline and decided I like f/class shooting the most.I shot a savage 223 all the way up to October and kept nipping at the heals of making HM at Midrange and shot a couple 1000yd matches which really gave me the bug and decided to go ahead and have a 308 built to see if it would help and knew it would at LR.So far my decision has payed off.

DirtySteve and Tim Singleton like this.
  6. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

Finally bit the bullet and bought a nice rest and bags. Amazed at how much better my guns started shooting!! LOL.

7. chefpierre

chefpierre

I wanted to improve my classification in 1000 yard f class, and shoot the nationals. I decided that the key to this goal would be reducing vertical dispersion on my target. I changed my scale and both front and rear bags. I am close to single kernel tolerances now. I chose a front and rear bag where the stock can slide easily. My classification went to master at 1000 yards and we won a medal at the fclass nationals. We also created a shooting team along the way. My goal for next year is to further reduce vertical. My plan is to use an annealing machine, and to begin using a barrel tuner.

Berger.Fan222 and Tim Singleton like this.
  8. Berger.Fan222

Berger.Fan222

Congrats on making Master.

I recommend against most of my students making HM too much of a holy grail in a given year. The risk is that it may lead one to watch the wind forecast too much and decide not to attend matches on days with an unfavorable forecast. I think a better goal is to shoot HM scores in a certain number of individual matches (20 shot strings) without the pressure to put them together in the manner required to make HM. Suppose a shooter shoots a 590 in one tournament. He only needs a 586 in the next 60 shot event to make HM. But if the wind is blowing 20 MPH, he's gonna be tempted to stay home when he really needs to be out there improving his wind reading skills for the long term.

If you focus on HM scores in individual matches, you'll get there eventually without staying home when you could be shooting. The other thing I see from students with too much of a HM focus is trying to solve skill issues by throwing money at equipment. By the time most folks make Master, they've figured out that they see a lot more HM scores at most ranges from custom F-Open rigs than from factory rifles, F-TR rifles, and especially .223s.

Financial realities being what they are, many shooters can't keep travelling to as many matches and feeding rifles more costly ammo after dumping $4k+ on an custom F-Open rig with all the trimmings. It might take twice as long, but beware the shooter who makes HM with the lowly .223.

DirtySteve likes this.
  9. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Silver $$ Contributor

Oh I don't stay home when it is windy. Any monkey can pull a trigger in calm conditions. A person learns more when it is windy. I also know from shooting NRA Action Pistol that you can not buy a win with equipment. I know I tried. I made Master with a Harris Bi-pod and a simple sand sock for the rear. I shall make HM the same way. Well I will if a stop shooting X's on other peoples targets. lol. The only cross fire I have ever done was last weekend and blew the spindle out of the spotter in the X-ring. Yeah it was a pretty good day. lol..

Berger.Fan222 likes this.
  10. jim1903a1

jim1903a1

I've been shooting Palma for three years now and wanted to make HM this year. I did that at the Midwest Palma last summer but I'm still looking for my first clean at 1000. I've had several strings close but just a point or two shy. I feel like I'll get there soon and know that more wind experience will get me there. To me, avoiding windy, stormy days will keep that goal out of reach. No cherry picking for me, I like the twitchy wind days. I'm looking forward to loading my trailer and hitting the road this year.

Tim Singleton and Berger.Fan222 like this.
  11. Snuggie

Snuggie F/TR-F/Open Gold $$ Contributor

My goal was to make HM with a .223. Got my card in November.....

12. KWeigel

KWeigel whunt_64 Silver $$ Contributor

Made LARGE investments in components and equipment to continue the success from 2016. Everything went in the crapper. Looking forward to 2018!

timeout and Berger.Fan222 like this.
  13. chefpierre

chefpierre

I hope to see ya out and about a little more this year.

14. earlcurtis67

earlcurtis67 Silver $$ Contributor

My goal for last year was to start shooting 600/1000 yd BR and to start refining my reloading and shooting techniques. My plan was to shoot all the IBS matches at Manatee but I missed last months to take care of family matters. I feel that I am making progress on all fronts so far.
    E

15. KWeigel

KWeigel whunt_64 Silver $$ Contributor

Likewise!

Only worked out for one ecnrc match in 2017. Should make all in 18. You need to bring the family down to Lodi for some matches. Especially the mwp!

chefpierre likes this.
  16. Ringostar

Ringostar

Hey Kent, we missed you at nationals. Are you going to make nationals in Raton this year? My 2017 was a struggle, I had too much other things going on. I also hope that 2018 gets me back on track.

17. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

My goal was to improve enough in 2017 to get my HM classification and to go to a national match in 2018 and not embarrass myself. I will make the Berger's and F-class Nats in Raton in midrange. The embarrass part...well...I'll comment later;). My goal to get HM was met in 2016 a bit ahead of my plans. My 2018 goal is to shoot LR when I can.

18. jimmymac

jimmymac

Sounds like you had yourself a good year Tim. Congratulations to you. I'm sure you have some goals in mind for 2018 as well. Keep tabs on that gun weight!

My goals were simple. I set out to buy a 6PPC bench rifle and start shooting better groups than I ever have before. It was a small goal, but I achieved it in 2017. I bought the gun with the idea of just having a good time with it at my local club, and I did have fun with my new to me toy.

Goals for 2018:
    1. - Shoot in a few NBRSA and IBS matches.
    2. - Don't finish in last place.
    3. - Shoot some aggs in the low 2's instead of my usual mid to upper 2's and dare I say low 3's.
    4. - Better my wind reading skills.
    5. - Spend most of my practice time shooting 200 yards instead of 100 yards.
    6. - Meet some folks who may be interested in helping me out with number three above. I realized in 2017 I can't do this on my own.
    7. - Adjust my shooting goals as 2018 progresses.

Good luck to all who've set shooting goals for this year.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Tim Singleton and chefpierre like this.