what does it take to shoot 600 plus yards and win?

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by crustyrusty, Jul 14, 2019.

1. crustyrusty

crustyrusty Silver $$ Contributor

I have several questions and I will start with the weapon first.. I inherited a 1960 Remington 700 chambered in 280 Remington from my father, and the original barrel was totally whipped.. so I bought a fluted 26 inch number 4 contour barrel 1-9 twist.. the reamer was a Match reamer 280 chamber but I dont know how long the throat is I will figure that out when I get it back...so what is the real difference between a match reamer and a standard reamer other than throat? with the worn out barrel it shot the long 175gr btsp wonderfully...I didn't try the heavier bullets because that barrel was a 1-9.75 twist and the bullet manufacturer didn't recommend it. ok so on to optics....... where is the cut-off between insanity and cost justifiably? I saw scopes in the thousands and then I saw scopes in the hundreds....so where does one turn to? I might can afford a 800 dollar scope but noway a 2000 dollar scope.. so what do I do??then after all that where do I go to get in on the competitions and get my feet wet in the sport? I live in Michigan dont know if that matters

2. Toby Bradshaw

Toby Bradshaw Gold $$ Contributor

3. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Gold $$ Contributor

Are you interested in getting started in Benchrest shooting? F-Class? It will make a difference in the replies you receive, so it would be helpful if you could elaborate a little more on the discipline(s) in which you are interested.

damoncali, Rope2horns and SPJ like this.
  4. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

Barrels & Bullets that like each other & the ability to find out. Access to a range with good benches that you can shoot 600 so you can practice your butt off with those $.55 a piece bullets you will end up using. A mentor to help you with set up & bench tec./ gun handling etc. ......But whether 100 or 1000 it will be a whole lot of fun once it starts to come together...........Best of luck.

Regards
    Rick

5. 1shot

1shot

To directly answer your, question I shot my first "clean" with a box stock Rem. 700 fluted bbl. in 308. It has a 6.5x20 Leupold scope on it. Total cash outlay, well under $2,000.00. Granted, this rifle is far from the average Rem. but nonetheless, it is capable of winning. BTW, I'm a sling and coat shooter.
    I hope this helps,

Lloyd

6. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

The insanity cut off ? That depends on who you ask however I’m quite certain you can compete with out going bankrupt ‘ but to win consistently is another matter, better to just compete and learn your discipline, maybe grab a 8-32x56 Sightron for around $700 to mount on that 700 action.
    J

mike a and Rushty like this.
  7. sawcarver

sawcarver Gold $$ Contributor

Where abouts in MI are you? What type of shooting do you want to do. There are a fair amount of F-class matches in MI. The biggest thing is to get out there and shoot to see what type of matches you enjoy. If you have a scope thats 20x or larger I would run what you have until you really commit. Then you can see what you like and what the other competitors are using.

CjC73, 1shot and Jet like this.
  8. crustyrusty

sounds good did not have a clue where to begin and I still dont know who to get ahold of to see about to get to a match to see first hand what its all about cause you tube sucks in that regard,, is my 280 going to be a competitive round ? I saw a lot of 338's and 6.5/.284 winchesters ......

9. crustyrusty

ohh I live in white cloud an Hour north of Grand Rapids Michigan and truth be told I have never heard of any shooting competitions here in this area......

10. sawcarver

sawcarver Gold $$ Contributor

MTC is up in Lake City we just shot a 1000 yard match there this weekend. This Saturday there is a 600 yard match in Cadilac. There is a 550yd range just south of GR. You have a lot of good shooters over on that side of the state.

I don't know of anyone shooting a 338 in competitions around us. Your 280 should be a great start depending on your barrel contour.

11. Toby Bradshaw

Toby Bradshaw Gold $$ Contributor

12. DR_2297

DR_2297

13. Tempest

Tempest

As others have replied. F class or BR?

Just my $.02. You can shoot F class(Open) and have fun with that rifle at 600 yards without a bunch of money invested. For 1,000 yard matches, will need better barrel, optics, hand loads, etc. to be competitive.

14. crustyrusty

I am open to any suggestion right now as I dont have any shooting style other than offhand and bench... so I am a open book ...

15. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

You cant hit what you cant see. When you cant see the target with your $700 scope others with the $2000 ones can. Thats the most important thing past 300 or so. Then its bullets and barrel, then its rest and bench manners. Notice i didnt say action- any action will get you there its just how fast you can throw them most times makes the difference

jamesdmock likes this.
  16. crustyrusty

well I agree whole heartedly on that one,,, I found a 10-40x56 scope for 350 bucks dont know if that is a junk scope or not but worth looking into.....Man a 2000 dollar scope makes me quezzie but if that is what it takes then maybe I just have to save my pennies .......

17. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

I’ve shot out to 1k with a 32x no problem

18. ttfreestyle

ttfreestyle Gold $$ Contributor

Pick up a used 12x42 benchrest, they can be had for around 1k. Good scopes.

earlcurtis67, seymour fish and swd like this.
  19. liljoe

liljoe Silver $$ Contributor

In about 3 weeks some of the best short range benchrest shooters in the country will be at Holton Gun Club for the IBS Nationals. You should stop by there and look around at the equipment. Its not exactly the same stuff as 600 and 1000yd but you can get the idea.
    Joe Hynes

20. swd

swd Silver $$ Contributor

What you have is far more suited for F Class than Benchrest. A 280 can be competitive. A fluted #4 barrel is really light and will heat up fast. Your rifle will fall into Open Class where we shoot from Heavy Varmint taper up to full 1.25" straight bull and mostly the latter to absorb the heat. You'll be shooting 15 to 20 shot strings plus sighters. There are still plenty of NF BR 12x42 out the winning both F Class and Benchrest. $900-$1100 used. Excellent glass and one of the most reliable scopes ever made. Yes you can buy scopes with newer, better glass but realistically you could shoot the rest of your life and not need a better scope than the NF BR series. Your rifle would get you started but by the next season you'll have a completely different rifle to mount that 12x42BR on..

Fast14riot, 1shot and seymour fish like this.