What do you think happened with this flyer?

Discussion in '6mm, 6.5mm, and .25 Cal (Not 6BR)' started by jaygorski, Jul 13, 2019.

1. jaygorski

jaygorski

Shot this pretty decent group on the right, it actually measures about .262", but I wonder why the flier had to be where it was, all my shots felt good, wind really wasn't that bad, coming out of the NNE shooting north about 3mph, had some gust just over 5mph but I waited till the gusts subsided for the most part. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Man that could be anything. 5th shot flyers, lil gust of wind, etc

Dgd6mm, BartsBullets and SPJ like this.
  3. Nick Caprinolo

Nick Caprinolo Gold $$ Contributor

Don't you hate it when that happens?

jaygorski likes this.
  4. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

There are a few realistic reasons why that happened. 1.) An "unanticipated / unseen" gust of wind. NOTE: it is on, what might be considered "the waterline",>>>that's why it is numero uno on my "list", 2.) Your rear bag may have come out of alignment, 3.) You may have held the rifle a bit differently, possibly putting pressure a little harder on the cheek.. >>>>NOW for some LESS probable possibilities: 1.) Bullet was slightly off it's axis, OR 2.) bad ignition due to a faulty primer... My guess it is one of the first 3..

Nick Caprinolo likes this.
  5. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Wind from NNE ?
    You were shooting N?
    Sounds like a 2:00 wind resulting in a 9:00 hit

6. chkunz

chkunz Gold $$ Contributor

It is not a flyer, keep shooting more shots into the group and eventually you will have a statistically significant group and all will be revealed to you.

paperpuncher, wbm and Trevor60 like this.
  7. jaygorski

jaygorski

Yea, probably not #2, my DR bag weighs as much as the rifle, maybe more, lol

Attached Files:

ShootDots likes this.
  8. jaygorski

jaygorski

For shits and giggles I pulled 2 leftover 'match' shells loaded with older lot number of JLKs and 40.6grs H4350 and resized them with 269 bushing and did the mandrel exp thing and loaded up what I thought was equal to 41.1grs 4451(Hor brass) which was 40.3grs 4451(Alpha brass) and shot them at this same target a few days later, as you can see one went 5/16" low of group and the other went thru the lower part of the group, I'm glad I have almost 1000 JLKs left, I like the way they shoot.

Attached Files:

9. Ghansen

Ghansen

Q. Did the rifle "return to battery" as expected ?
    I had the same occurrence recently for a beaut 200yd group and my cross hairs returned spot on relative to the actual flyer and not my original point of aim as with the first 4 shots.

2 targets later @200 I watched for a specific wind condition and then moved back into the scope, and there was that error! Drifted 1/2" to the left requiring aim adjustment, and kept doing it throughout that target. Tightened the left screw a bit and it stopped doing that.

Similar story also happened to me in the same way on another "almost" group in a different comp with a different front rest and it just indicates to me that something went skew with setup. (please note this is not an excuse for all other larger groups *%##!)

10. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

I noticed that your front rest is set very high and your rear bag appears to be backwards

11. Ccrider

Ccrider Gold $$ Contributor

Looking at your 39.9 group, I would not say that’s a flyer.

12. jaygorski

jaygorski

It seemed to be tracking pretty well that day, I'll take my time next day out and make sure it is tracking good.

13. jaygorski

jaygorski

With the Manners T4 the DR bag works best backwards, with my wife's T2 I turn it around.

Attached Files:

SPJ likes this.
  14. jaygorski

jaygorski

High because we shoot 600BR, lol

SPJ likes this.
  15. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Hold over:D

daleboy likes this.
  16. jaygorski

jaygorski

What are your thoughts?

17. Ccrider

Ccrider Gold $$ Contributor

Need to see groups after. Or, shoot several more with this charge and see what they look like. You may find that you will have a flier or two in each group using this same load. If so, the load is not in tune.

BartsBullets and jaygorski like this.
  18. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

You can see in that first pic just how bad off that bag is. Id get a different bag all together for that particular stock. You have like 10% support. You could always manipulate the sand around and flatten it

jaygorski likes this.
  19. jaygorski

jaygorski

That's the only group I ever shot with that load, I did load up 14 shells with it for sunday's match, though. Last year I did shoot 41.2grs with old lot of JLKs and got 4 shots under .5" and 1 left slightly. 200yds again.

20. jaygorski

jaygorski

Actually it has great support, I don't know how I won a match with it last year. lol