what ammo do you use?

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by MarkS, Aug 12, 2018 at 1:31 PM.

1. MarkS

MarkS Silver $$ Contributor

What ammo do you use for Long Range? I am using Eley Target, Club, SK Standard+ and Lapua Center X. I just shot Wolf Match extra, SK Match and Lapua Polar Biathlon at 50yds. A storm rolled in and I could not shoot at longer ranges. What do you use?

Mark

2. Sniper338

Sniper338

Whatever works best in your gun is the answer if your wondering...

hogpatrol, Mikey_P and mikeinct like this.
  3. Rsadams

Rsadams

Yup , it's a testing thing with Rimfire.... I just use CCI SV , cheap , shoots good enough for me in all my .22.... Shot a few boxes of federal target the other day I found in my .22 ammo can... Absolutely the worst I have ever shot... Could barely cover a 15 round group with your hand , just all over the place at 50+. Changed ammo and you could cover 15 with your pinky finger exept the two the wind got... Some Rimfire ammo , no matter what it is , will not shoot in some rifles or pistols...plus I am not paying $10 , $15 or $20 a box for .22... That's just me though...

4. Ggmac

Ggmac

It would depend on temp , and budget . Obviously the most accurate is needed along with flags . Things change when the temp goes to either extreme . Try at both if it applies . Cold weather Olympic ammo is good for the winter long range but may go above the speed of sound in summer and screw up your previous great groups.

Rsadams likes this.
  5. perry42

perry42 Silver $$ Contributor

I have tried most of the premier/expensive 22 ammo and have had the best results using Biathlon ammo from Lapua & Fiochi. The many different 22 loads from Eley were not even close.

perry42

6. Mikey_P

Mikey_P sling shooter Gold $$ Contributor

Eley Match (lot tested) for 50/100 & 200 yd prone matches. As others have said, it's all about finding out what your particular rifle likes. It can be a long, drawn out, almost maddening process sometimes...

Mike

7. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

This topic comes up from time to time but the answer should be try a hundred bucks worth of ammo, maybe 20 to 25 different ones, more if you can get them. You might get lucky with the first one shooting bugholes. Then gain, you may be unlucky and none of them will shoot.:p:D

8. Hoser

Hoser

Eley Match and Tenex. One of my rifles loves Edge where most of the time it is so-so. The Eley mobile test lab comes to the Olympic Training Center once a year to test ammo. One lot of Tenex might not shoot as good as a lot of Match. I just buy a couple cases of whatever tested best.

Best bet is to send your barreled action to either the Eley range in TX or the Lapua range in AZ. Eley only tests out to 50 meters where Lapua goes out to 100.

Next year I am packing up a few of my rifles and making the drive to Mesa to see how Lapua ammo does.