what ammo do you use?

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by MarkS, Aug 12, 2018.

1. MarkS

MarkS Silver $$ Contributor

What ammo do you use for Long Range? I am using Eley Target, Club, SK Standard+ and Lapua Center X. I just shot Wolf Match extra, SK Match and Lapua Polar Biathlon at 50yds. A storm rolled in and I could not shoot at longer ranges. What do you use?

Mark

2. Sniper338

Sniper338

Whatever works best in your gun is the answer if your wondering...

3. Rsadams

Rsadams

Yup , it's a testing thing with Rimfire.... I just use CCI SV , cheap , shoots good enough for me in all my .22.... Shot a few boxes of federal target the other day I found in my .22 ammo can... Absolutely the worst I have ever shot... Could barely cover a 15 round group with your hand , just all over the place at 50+. Changed ammo and you could cover 15 with your pinky finger exept the two the wind got... Some Rimfire ammo , no matter what it is , will not shoot in some rifles or pistols...plus I am not paying $10 , $15 or $20 a box for .22... That's just me though...

Wiley Coyote likes this.
  4. Ggmac

Ggmac

It would depend on temp , and budget . Obviously the most accurate is needed along with flags . Things change when the temp goes to either extreme . Try at both if it applies . Cold weather Olympic ammo is good for the winter long range but may go above the speed of sound in summer and screw up your previous great groups.

Rsadams likes this.
  5. perry42

perry42 Silver $$ Contributor

I have tried most of the premier/expensive 22 ammo and have had the best results using Biathlon ammo from Lapua & Fiochi. The many different 22 loads from Eley were not even close.

perry42

6. Mikey_P

Mikey_P sling shooter Gold $$ Contributor

Eley Match (lot tested) for 50/100 & 200 yd prone matches. As others have said, it's all about finding out what your particular rifle likes. It can be a long, drawn out, almost maddening process sometimes...

Mike

7. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

This topic comes up from time to time but the answer should be try a hundred bucks worth of ammo, maybe 20 to 25 different ones, more if you can get them. You might get lucky with the first one shooting bugholes. Then gain, you may be unlucky and none of them will shoot.:p:D

8. Hoser

Hoser

Eley Match and Tenex. One of my rifles loves Edge where most of the time it is so-so. The Eley mobile test lab comes to the Olympic Training Center once a year to test ammo. One lot of Tenex might not shoot as good as a lot of Match. I just buy a couple cases of whatever tested best.

Best bet is to send your barreled action to either the Eley range in TX or the Lapua range in AZ. Eley only tests out to 50 meters where Lapua goes out to 100.

Next year I am packing up a few of my rifles and making the drive to Mesa to see how Lapua ammo does.

9. flatlander

flatlander

I've shot SK Rifle & Pistol Match at 200 & 300yds - sometimes not too shabby results, other times pretty poor - just too inconsistent to consider for match use at those distances. Lapua Center-X was sometimes better than either of the SK grades, but again, not consistent enough to buy in quantity. A friend sent a box of Lapua Polar Biathlon home with me after a match over a year ago, which I finally got around to trying at 200. It was very impressive at 200 initially, with a couple of 10-shot groups of just over 1 MOA out of my Krieger-barreled V-22. Not having access to any more of that old lot #, I tried a couple of other lots, neither of which shot as well as that first one, but still better than anything else I'd tried at 200 and 300. Would like to be able to test several lots of this stuff, but the demand for it & my location makes that impractical - by the time I order test lots, test them, then try to buy more of the best lot or lots, the supplier is usually out of those lots. Following Hoser's lead & hauling a couple of rifles out to Arizona might be the only way to get into quantity of a good shooting lot of "bipolar" (as the friend who gave me that first box calls it).

10. FJIM

FJIM

well I am not sure what you mean by long range. 200-300 yards ? 400 ?
    I shoot what ever I have but I will say SK STD + seems to be one of the best in my rifle turning in high .590's to 650's at 100 yards quite regular. Some mid .100's at 50 yards with several different lots. I would like to try some R100
    Had kind of poor luck with R50 in the two lots I tried. RWS Target rifle shot decent. that the store soaked for 11.00 bucks a box when I know I can order it for 6 bucks a box of 50. Yea I have to order 22's because none of the local or even non local stores just carry CCI's and cheap stuff and if they have anything good its double the price of what you can order even with shipping. I am just too lazy to order any. although I pretend order it all the time and surf the net and find good prices one day when I get lower on ammo that I have I am going to order some.

11. Wiley Coyote

Wiley Coyote

Since I'm not a "competition" shooter I can follow @Rsadams on this one. CCI SVs work quite well for me at Squirrel Hunting ranges with sub 0.500" 10 shot groups at 40 yards. They work well in all of my 10/22s. If I were competing no doubt my favorite would be one or more of the upscale brands.

Have two good friends that just cant get enough of Federal AutoMatch. I've tried it several times with no luck. A 40 yard target looks like someone patterned a load of 12 gage Buckshot. But it works for them!

12. Rsadams

Rsadams

Good than it's not just me with the federal auto match , I kept a brick of it in my bag for a long time but it would shoot all over in my 10/22 and my Ruger American Rimfire... It would shoot minute of rabbit all day... My little rough rider pistol finished off the last I had three days ago... Worked ok in that little pistol plinking for fun...

I found four boxes of federal target in my .22 ammo can that weighs about 50 lbs , not match , but target and it was the worst I have ever shot , a fifteen round group the size of your hand at 50 yards.. I thought something was wrong till I grabbed a box of aguila extra I had in my rifle case and it put 13 out 15 in one hole you could cover with your pinky finger tip... People don't like it and say it shoots all over but in my guns it shoots fine , not as good as CCI-SV but not horrible... I don't have the super expensive guns that shoots lights out like some people do , but mine with shoot 5 shot groups half inch at 50.. I need to try a really good box one day , just not sure it would be that much better in my factory barrels but maybe...

13. USMCDOC

USMCDOC Silver $$ Contributor

It's funny, but i have a 10/22 with a ratchet barrel on it that just hammers with Auto Match.. but i do sort it by rims and weight and the headspace is at 47K

seymour fish and Rsadams like this.
  14. Rsadams

Rsadams

Rimfire truly like what they like... It's crazy how they shoot some ammo bad , yet another great... What I do like about automatch is it's strong enough to cycle the actions on pistols etc... I say it shoots all over but it's just not a half inch like the cci maybe 1 inch... I have definitely shot worse .22lr ammo...

15. FJIM

FJIM

Yea ammo can be funny. I have 3 bricks of Winchester super X HV HP around 25 years old. I shoot squirrels with it and sometimes it shoots great and sometimes ah. like I shot 3 shots at 50 yards in one hole and was kind of in shock then the next two opened it up to a .500 and then shot 5 at 100 yards that were about .600 and was like wow then next group was 1.125. so some times even in the same lot of ammo some shoot good some dont. But I have noticed it with this ammo over the years pull a box of 50 out and shoot incredible then another box of 50 might not be as good its all the same lot. I know its old but it been kept in my bedroom so it always been dry. but I have noticed the same with other ammo as well. I shot some RWS HV HP and they seem to shoot well. enough that I am thinking of ordering a brick because you can not afford to go to the store and buy it at 12 bucks a box. can order a brick shipped for 62bucks. that's not bad for accurate HV ammo. CCI mini mags shoot well other than my old Winchesters always looking for accurate HV stuff.