What accuracy can I expect from a Savage Target action.

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by zanemoseley, Apr 5, 2016.

1. zanemoseley

zanemoseley

I currently have a Tikka T3 Sporter in .308 and just finished a 6mm Fat Rat AR. Now of course my head is going onto the next project. I'd love to do a full on custom but that will have to wait until I get my house paid off a few years down the road.

I've had my eye on the 6.5x284 as it seems to be great for accuracy but not so good for barrel life. The appealing thing if I had a Savage with a 6.5x284 barrel changes would be easy.

So long story short is it looks like I can get a Savage Target action, pre-fit match Criteron barrel and McMillan f class stock for about $1800 and should be able to assemble myself with the help with my shooting buddies. What kind of accuracy should I be able to wring out of this setup? I'm not expecting .25 moa but would be nice to get close to .5 moa. I've also thought of rebarreling my Tikka but it would require gunsmithing as it's more of a standard headspaced setup.

2. savagedasher

savagedasher Gold $$ Contributor

Not much accuracy comes from the action .
    Barrel chamber the reloading and the shooter
    Determined accuracy Larry

dickn52 likes this.
  3. MrMajestic

MrMajestic Gold $$ Contributor

How's your wind reading skills! Action most likely won't be the weak link. Buy it and pay off your house! I run a RB/LP PTA and never questioned it.

4. waterfwlr

waterfwlr

Sub .25 moa. That action won't be the limiting factor

5. watercam

watercam Silver $$ Contributor

Why don't you simply have another barrel fitted to your Tikka action and go switch barrel? You are out at $600 or so, a rifle you are comfortable shooting and no need to build another complete rifle. The Tikka actions are great and you have a stock that works for you.
    Just my $0.02 worth.

dickn52 and Scott Harris like this.
  6. noload

noload

The PTA action will not be the weak link of your rifle. I have had much success with Sav PTA's. I have 2 Bat's now, and don't dare sell my PTA's until I find that the Bat's will out shoot the Pta's.

M-61 likes this.
  7. zanemoseley

zanemoseley

What do you mean go switch barrel? Is there a way for me to modify my Tikka to allow barrel changes quick and easy? The Tikka has shot .5" pretty easy at 100. I've only shot it 3 times at f class 600, I shot 188,186 and 180. My wind reading skills are pretty much nonexistant I just chase my tail. My shooting buddy has a .260 which gets him in the 190's consistantly, he's also a newbie at long range but he's got a huge edge with the BC of the 6.5 bullets.

My Tikka only weighs in at 12 pounds with a scope and 24" barrel, perhaps I can get close to 15 pounds with a longer and thicker barrel. I've considered keeping it 308 for ftr but I'm not huge into competition at the moment, just enjoy getting out to shoot. If going 6,5x284 I'd love to get as much weight as possible, honestly the 308 has as much or more recoil than I'd prefer for comfortable shooting.

Can i ask a stupid question. Of the action doesn't matter much for final accuracy why do people drop $1600 for an action? Are they just tring to wring out every last bit they can put of their rifle?

8. noload

noload

Toyota or Lexus ?

9. jonbearman

jonbearman I live in new york state,how unfortunate ! Gold $$ Contributor

One main reason is strength(stiffness) and the smoothness in cocking and lock time if set up correctly etc. Some may need a little tweaking but the customs are way ahead especially with the trigger options where our savage's have the one major weakness which is the sear system savage uses. The other thing is the bedding bat uses for instance,it is fool proof.

Raythemanroe and martin22250 like this.
  10. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Hi. Welcome! With the Savage or the Tikka, you're going to have to pull the gun apart to switch the barrel. You'll pay a little more for the smithing of the Tikka barrel but once done, you don't have to mess around with setting headspace and buying the go and no go gauges. The Savage is easier, in that you keep your gun and just order the barrel and gauges. As to the actions? Ford, Chevy, Ferarri, Lamborghini.......Nobody said they don't matter. The Savage PTA is a pretty good action. Best? Lots of opinions on that issue. The guys just implied that your skill level is more of a factor, now.

11. clowdis

clowdis

I do not understand why people think that Savage is interchangable and other actions are not. You still need a barrel vise and action wrench along with a nut wrench and head space gauge to change a Savage barrel. To change a Tikka/Remington/whatever all you need is an action wrench and barrel vise. Yes you can get a barrel already threaded and chambered from a supplier but the cost is still higher because you have to pay for the chambering and threading either way. So changing a barrel on a Tikka is actually easier once everything is set than changing the barrel on a Savage! I don't get your train of thought here? Have you ever changed a barrel?

12. Shynloco

Shynloco You can lead a horse to water, but ........ Silver $$ Contributor

Like others have said, the Action alone won't necessarily get you the best accuracy. But I have friends who do the "barrel switch" thing (in competition) and have chosen Savage Actions over others because of the simplicity involved. And if it's accuracy you are chasing (and in NO WAY am I here to bad mouth Tikka), but back in February, I attended the Berger Southwest Nationals where many of the top shooters and serious ones from around the US, competed. I was there to observe and not compete. And I got to see the rifles and actions being used by the competitors. And yes there were obviously a variety of the expensive actions being used by many. But I did note seeing several Savages actions being used which well outnumbered a few Tikka's I saw. I didn't ask any of the Shooters why they chose one action over the other. But I did conclude there must be a reason why those choices were made. And if you take a look at the final results (2016) in terms of scores and equipment used (that are posted on the Berger Nationals website), that gives you some better indication why they choose the equipment they use. And sponsorship money isn't the only indicator. Just my thoughts.

Alex

M-61 likes this.
  13. redrockranger

redrockranger Silver $$ Contributor

Nutless Savage PTA. Done.

14. M-61

M-61 "Quis Separabit" Silver $$ Contributor

Interesting. But how do you set the headspace on a Tikka? On a Savage you have the jam nut. Is a Tikka similar? Or is it going to the gunsmith with the action?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  15. noload

noload

A Savage pre fit barrel is way cheaper/faster, than getting a blank & sending to a smith. Northland shooters is selling quality bbls for Savage,,,,Shilen select match done ready to install for $379

16. 1066

I've been very pleased with the 6mmbr rifle I built out of bits based on a Savage PTA action. I used a pre-fit Shilen select match barrel, RB Sav 2 trigger, Richards microfit stock - Shoots a treat with 5 shot groups often sub .3moa.

I also have a Savage 12F (PTA) in 6.5-284 with Savage barrel which also shoots well.

17. Mozella

Mozella

You left the lathe off your list. Last time I checked they were kinda' pricey and the skill to use one is not something every gun owner has. From a practical point of view, you need the services of a gunsmith to install a new barrel on your non-Savage action and set the headspace. That will cost you a minimum of $75 if you know your local gunsmith but might run over $500 if your new barrel isn't chambered and you need to ship the gun. And you need that service every time you change barrels.

You don't need an action wrench for a Savage Barrel change and you can make a good barrel vice for about 25 bucks. The barrel nut wrench is cheap enough at about $22 plus you need a go gauge for about thirty bucks and some lube and cleaning solvent. So for less than a hundred bucks, you can be your own Savage gunsmith and the cost is a one time event. Furthermore you may be able to borrow these tools and make the cost zero. It is unlikely a real gunsmith will let a rookie borrow his lathe.

The cost of the ready-to-mount barrels is close to the same but the Savage DIY guy has the advantage that he can fiddle around for as long as it takes to get the headspace exactly the way he wants it.

Zero333 and M-61 like this.
  18. 1066

Totally agree - at one time I had one PTA action and two barrels, I used to swap depending on what range I was shooting.

19. DennisH

DennisH Life Time NRA member

I have 3 Savage PTA's, worked over by Fred, a/k/a Sharp Shooter Supply, all with his Evolution Trigger. These actions hang in there with the best of them.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    BigKev likes this.
  20. M-61

M-61 "Quis Separabit" Silver $$ Contributor

Savage switch barrel's here. 6BR, 6.5BR, and 2 in 30BR. One SAVAGE PTA action. The ability to swap barrels to me is huge. Meaning I purchase the barrels and do the swap myself. Barrel vise, nut wrench and ONE set of go...no/go gauges. So far I am way below the price of a lathe. And I rely on no one's turnaround time but my own.
    Accuracy? I am a short range shooter and any of those 4 barrels in that action can shoot better than I can and they replaced a 222 benchrest rifle I've shot since the early 70's and is quite good. Bottom line (for me) is 3 tools and I have 4 barrels going on one action. That's a lot of diversity for an acceptable investment. Additionally I enjoy doing it. (except for those extractor balls)