Well that was a boneheaded move...

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by TC260, Feb 3, 2020.

1. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

Uggg.... Some dumb coonass has it sitting in his shed somewhere trying to figure out what it is...and then, once he realizes it is of no use to him, it will end up as a trot line weight in Bayou Courtableau:eek:. Well...I hope not.... I stopped shooting Sherburne when they put up those dumb baffles. Join Eunice Rifle and Gun Club. The range has excellent benches out to 300yds, a solid pistol range and a great skeet set-up. The have an electric gate with keypad entry now and the new groundskeeper has the grass cut like a good fairway on a golf course. PM me if you need any contact info to join.

Robin

dgeesaman likes this.
  2. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

I left my labradar with a friend at the range for him to use and drop it by my house afterward. He got there and didn't have it. Long round trip back to the range but it was still sitting there.

Hopefully you'll find it.

3. mike a

mike a 6BR Rocks Gold $$ Contributor

So I guess painting everything bright orange wouldn't help. Mike

jimmymac, chop house, blairf and 3 others like this.
  4. jonbearman

jonbearman I live in new york state,how unfortunate ! Gold $$ Contributor

I found a duty bag with a complete 22 cal conversion for an ar-15 in it along with tons of mags . There was other expensive stuff in it so I turned it into the gunshop and the next morning Vince(a friend who died later in a hunting accident ) was waiting on the steps to see if someone turned it in. Vince was way to young to die and a Casull got him. It cocked on his way down out of his tree stand. He pulled the gun out and it went off shooting him in the gut. It still bothers me today. He had it in some kind of cross draw setup and the gun wasn't at fault. It was just a weird accident. Sorry about my rant but this thread brought back memories.

5. dogdude

dogdude Egan O'Brien Gold $$ Contributor

I left my shooting stool at W-PORT, last shoot of the year at the bench closest too the road (very visible ) and showed up the next year..and it had Not moved..Luck of the Irish ;).
    Hope the OP has some also.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    Damfino, joshb and dgeesaman like this.
  6. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

At the range referenced by the OP I once had an amazing thing happen. While shooting at my 100yd target I saw motion to my left about 25yds downrange. It was the fellow shooting a few benches to my left going to check a target he set at about 30-40yds. I hold fire, call out loudly for a cease fire and the guy just motions and hollers "I'm alright...ya'll can keep on shooting". The most amazing part was not his action at that moment but the fact that he lived long enough, up to that point, to propagate at least two generations of his genetics into the gene pool.....and that is what scares me most. I could see an exuberant teenager moving beyond the line until he was called out then returning to the bench when he realized what he had done; this guy was at least 55yrs old.o_O

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    Dryfly24, jimmymac, Sandstorm and 3 others like this.
  7. Tommie

Tommie Gold $$ Contributor

If this were left at a private range I’d guess a nearly 100% probability that the property would be turned in to the office. Public range, eh, dunno.

8. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Gold $$ Contributor

Craigslist

9. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

That stool will look cool mounted on the front seat of a 16 ft johnboat.

Bc'z, 6ShotsOr5? and MislMan like this.
  10. corsair4360

corsair4360

We have a man who "helps" at the range, who does stuff like that regularly. Whenever he shows up and I am working a range, one violation and he gets walked to the office.... Our range is a State of Utah Range and people have been told not to come back.

Steve Jennings and rardoin like this.
  11. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

About 15 years ago my brother left his M-1 at a private club. How do you do that? Anyway he never got it back.

12. Joe Salt

Joe Salt Silver $$ Contributor

I've shot at Williamsport for over 40 years, and I for one have forgot my spotting scope, cleaning rods or what ever. And when I returned in two weeks for a match, they were in the club house.
    Don't think we have ever had any problems.

Joe Salt

Sandstorm, bozo699 and dgeesaman like this.
  13. Herzo

Herzo

Buddy and I were at camp Perry, his Kona scope ($1200 worth) fell off his cart. Did not realize it until we got to the hotel. Checked with the registration office the following morning -- someone had turned it in. Most shooters will go the extra mile to do the right thing.

dgeesaman likes this.
  14. DHuffman

DHuffman Gold $$ Contributor

Good point! I do this as well, it's hard for someone to do the right thing if your stuff is not marked.

15. SPJ

SPJ Whoops !! Gold $$ Contributor

I always write in BOLD letters

NOT YOURS ASSHOLE !

Actually my wife made me stop doing that a few years ago :oops:

joshb and Rustytigwire like this.
  16. STS

STS Silver $$ Contributor

I'll fess up to my screw up. I was at a private range mid December and was in my pickup warming up when my phone rang. My wife had a flat tire about 25 miles away. I had my rifles in the back seat and I fired up and out the gate I went. It wasn't until the next morning I realized I had left my front rest and rear bag setting on the bench. I drove back out there and of course they were nowhere to be found. I left a notice that I was missing the items at the range and called the club secretary to place a lost and found ad. I waited about 2 weeks and gave up on having them returned and bought another rest and bag. As I walked to the mail box to get the new bag my phone rings and it's an older gentleman that states he has my gear. Three weeks from the day I left it and I get the call. I suppose it never occurred to him to call the club to see if anyone was missing anything. I was grateful for the return to the extreme.
    Unfortunately, in this case at a public range, I would guess the probability of getting the items back is significantly lower that at a private facility.

dgeesaman likes this.
  17. chop house

chop house Silver $$ Contributor

found a pair of high heeled sandals alongside a bench on a public range (ungated). made no attempt to find the owner and decided to set up a few positions down the line...

anything shooting related i make an effort to ask around. one evening at dusk a guy drove up and asked if i had picked up a pistol... he left it there 2 hours earlier. didn't survive long, sorry to say.

18. bozo699

bozo699 Gold $$ Contributor

I think we all have one of these stories. I sure hope you get your gear back that does really suck!... I do still have hope in people doing the right thing. If it were a club I can almost bet it would be returned I have shot in Missoula Montana Deep creek range and left thousands of dollars worth of gear on the line besides many other members expensive gear and only one time did I miss anything and it’s kinda funny!.... It was our August shoot which was our final of the year and we had double or triple the shooters some we had never seen before , I stayed after the match visiting until there was only a couple of us left I told my son to start loading our gear, he got all the guns loaded then said,.... Dad you new rest your old rest and bags are gone!.... I got looking and several other things were gone!... Oh my gosh I thought there headed for California or somewhere we looked everywhere but no luck so I told a couple of the members that were from Montana they will either be returned or not but I got a 6 hour drive back to Washington so I’m outta here!.... about that time a little Subaru wagon was speeding up the gravel road .... it was old Jack Peterson,...he was a local and really fun to shoot with he had picked my stuff up by mistake and he was hoping to catch me, he kept apologizing and I said man I can’t thank you enough! I won’t need it until next spring and I’ll be shooting with ya but I would have bought all new by then! We all left laughing about it and very happy, sadly Jack isn’t with us anymore but he sure was a great guy and competitor. But for a hour or so I know exactly how you feel!....
    Wayne.

19. Twicepop

Twicepop Silver $$ Contributor

At a club I used to belong to I found three (3) shotguns laying on a picknick table once. I called the club president to see what to do with them, he was about half in the bag and didn't want to be bothered with it, so he says call the Sheriff. So I called the Sheriff and they sent a Deputy out, I explained what had happened and he took the guns back to the Sheriff's office. A couple of day later I get a call from some guy that's mad as hell, and chewing on my ass for calling the Sheriff. After he got done, I told him if he had a problem with what happened to take it up with the club president, and hung up.

20. mike a

mike a 6BR Rocks Gold $$ Contributor

Packed all my gear up once and got ready to leave. Realized I'd forgot to put my wife in the truck. I wonder if she would of been returned? Mike

GSS, Bc'z, jimmymac and 3 others like this.