Well here we go again..

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by TheOtherZilla, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Rustytigwire

Rustytigwire

Larry, can you get those Jewell triggers? I cant find one anywhere. Oh what to do.

'Freak, joshb, GotRDid and 1 other person like this.
  2. New Gun

New Gun Gold $$ Contributor

Uuugggghhhh........It sucks being a hoarder just startin out!

Trashy, 338 dude, 'Freak and 2 others like this.
  3. 338 Mollett

338 Mollett Gold $$ Contributor

^ Well at least you found yourself :)

4. New Gun

New Gun Gold $$ Contributor

LMAO

338 dude likes this.
  5. Willie

Willie Gold $$ Contributor

I got my first lesson during a great primer drought. I survived because I stumbled into an estate sale with 10 K Federal 210 & 215 match primers.

I learned to buy when the components were available. It hurt my pocket book at the time, but it has been well worth it, in the long run.

I try to keep 4-5 years of my go-to powders and primers. Experimental stuff, not so much, unless it works well.

Where good brass was hard to find for a time, companies like Lapua, Norma and Nosler were covering most cartridges, but were getting pricey. Lately ADG and Peterson have stepped in with high quality brass, so it's pretty easy to stay on top of brass needs.

I don't purchase above my needs and don't consider myself a hoarder, I prefer to be called "prepared for what may come".

6. jimcasey01

jimcasey01 Silver $$ Contributor

I suppose that I am very blessed or possibly more diligent than most, but last week I ordered Federal Match small pistol primers, 4K, 2 lbs of W231, Vihtavuori 3N37 and Vihtavuori N350 1 lb each, to test, and a couple of types of bullets for both 9mm and 40 S&W (as though I needed more), as I plan to start shooting pistols again casually. The only pistol powder that I could not find that I use was Unique. I suspect that I will find that before my shelves are bare as I still have almost 2 lbs. As for rifle powders, I usually purchase 2-3 8 pounders at a time so as to keep from mixing lot numbers, so I have enough to see me into 2021, with the virus closing almost everything around. I had read of all the shortages, panic buying, etc. and figured I was SOL for a few months. The Lord watches out for fools and little children, we all know which category I fit into.

7. Monte F

Monte F Silver $$ Contributor

I ran out of small pistol primers, Sportsman's is going to have some Fed. 100M on the 7th. Can only order 1-100 pack at a time, not going to last very long reloading 9mm or 380auto. I would like to get one brick if possible, that would be a reasonable amount.

8. spencerhenry

spencerhenry

reminds me of the story of the grasshopper and the ant. Seems like lots of grasshoppers coming out of the woodwork.

9. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

Sportsman's Warehouse is posting this:

ATTENTION NEVADA CUSTOMERS: UNLESS YOU HAVE A NV CONCEALED WEAPONS PERMIT, EXPECT SIGNIFICANT DELAYS COMPLETING GUN PURCHASES DUE TO DIFFICULTIES THE STATE IS HAVING PROCESSING BACKGROUND CHECKS.
    -

10. Taildrag15X

Taildrag15X

At least they are still selling guns, NY shut down all gun sales.

338 dude likes this.
  11. dtucker

dtucker Gold $$ Contributor

You think it is getting bad now, just wait as we get closer to the election of a new president. It will dry up just like the Obama days. And if we get a....don't want to say the word.... for a president it will really dry up for some time. I think the panic buying is going to get worse closer to the end of the year and into a good part of next. Things will get dried up for some time to come.

ND shooter likes this.
  12. Flouncer

Flouncer What the heck it works for me !! Gold $$ Contributor

What a miserable cheap A$$ crummy slime ball crawling mud trail dragging way to scratch out a low level existence. I mean it. Probably has his garage packed completely full, no walk thru, of junk :)

Evan and New Gun like this.
  13. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla Gold $$ Contributor

It's everywhere/.. Here in Wyo same story at all gun shops..

14. Twicepop

Twicepop Silver $$ Contributor

I went into the local Stock and Field (used to be Big R) about a week ago to pick up a few .22s. That was all I was able to get, there was NO pistol ammo in any caliber. There was about 5-6 boxes of rifle ammo, 4 in 45-70 and the other two was something else I don't have a gun for. The .22s, they had 3, 2000 round ammo boxes of Blazer S/V lead, 4 1000 round boxes of some other brand I wasn't interested in. My purchase was two of the three 100 round boxes of Winchester 40 grain HYPER-VELOCITY hollow points at $10.00+ per box.

15. orkan

orkan Site $$ Sponsor

I stock up heavy when supplies are plentiful and prices low. Then I sit back and watch with sadness as people discover they realized too little, too late.

16. Capt. Oblivious

Capt. Oblivious

Now imagine only getting powder, primers and bullets once every 6 months when everything is sweet in the US. I think we will be lucky if we see fresh components (thats not already sitting on a boat) in the next 2 years and then we will need to drop around 35% + more for them. We actually only started getting Federal primers again the last year and that was still due to the obama shortage in the US. Good times ahead but luckily I try to have at least enough to shoot out that barrel with but I think i might need somer N160 and N550 before Santa comes around again

17. rjtfroggy

rjtfroggy Gold $$ Contributor

I guess I got lucky I ordered my supplies just after the first of the year.
    Eight lbs. IMR 4895- now have about 13 lbs.
    Eight lbs. IMR 4891- now have 11 lbs.
    1000 115 Berger 30 cal. bullets- now have 1400 + about 200 loaded.
    Primers I still have a couple thousand large & small rifle
    Pistol primers I only have a few hundred but I have a couple thousand assorted pistol calibers loaded.
    As for 22lr I screwed up like the last time and only have a couple hundred on hand, that won't happen again. Takes me awhile to learn some times.
    Shot gun at least a case of 12,16,20 & 410 each.
    I think I am good to go seeing as how there is a STAY AT HOME order in place and it doesn't look to be lifted any time soon.
    Stay healthy

TAJ45 and New Gun like this.
  18. daleboy

daleboy Gold $$ Contributor

Semi-wrong,depends how your shop is classified . All depends on if you have employees or not. Most shops don't care anyway(defying the order) ,NICS checks are federal.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  19. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Looks as though you should have bought half a pallet then, but you couldn't have started a thread. These things happen every few years. All you have to do is buy a few things along and put it on the shelf.
    Yes, we have plenty toilet paper.

hpshooter, jimcasey01 and New Gun like this.
  20. antelopedundee

antelopedundee

About 20 miles down the road is a huge Farm n Fleet store with a decent selection of guns, ammo, etc. About the size of a WallyWorld with stores in Iowa, Wisconsin, MN, etc. Shelves of CF rifle ammo that you can't hunt here with. Pallets of shotgun slugs that are way out of season. Pallets of half gallon pails of Rem 9mm ammo they call the range bucket. I shake my head and wonder who buys all of this. Have not been there in a few weeks, but the answer may be hardly anyone or everybody. Plus there's a Sportsman's Warehouse a mile up the same street and a Bass Pro several miles away.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020