Welcome to the Reloading Forum -- Introduce Yourself

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Forum Boss, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Comrade Terry

Comrade Terry Gold $$ Contributor

Welcome aboard, Ray!

2. RaySendero

RaySendero

Was working on my profile and preferences.
    Do you guys use avatars? Did I miss it?

3. KY Boone

KY Boone

Edwin in KY, USA, here.

I'm not a competitive shooter, except for always seeking to top my last group or trying to X-Ring a deer or coyote under whatever conditions nature chooses to throw at me.

My past reloading experiences have been with the .30/'06 SpringfieldAnd its close cousin the .270 Winchester, not to mention the .308 Winchester. I'm trying to get started with .223 Remington on a 1:8 24" bull barrel on an AR platform for both pleasure shooting at the range and coyote hunting. But, my research has led me to believing that it is a round much more reactive to the small things (tenths of grains in powder charges, twist rates and even chamber throat lengths) than anything I've dealt with in the past. Also, all the data I've found so far is from either 24" 1:12 twist bolt guns or 20" 1:7 semi-automatic rifles, so nothing has truly matched very closely at all. I'm hoping to get a "leg up" here, so that I don't have to go through a blue million powders and charges before I can find a hard-hitting, accurate, and flat-shooting combination. I'm chiefly centering around 69 grain SMKs and 70 grain Berger VLDs as my bullets of choice.
    Any and all assistance with my puzzle will be greatly appreciated.

hogpatrol likes this.
  4. 6MT

6MT

Not new to the forums, but thought I'd introduce myself. I live in Canada and shoot precision .223, .308. & .338LM. Been reloading with great success.

Andy 6MT

hogpatrol likes this.
  5. Savage243

Savage243

Hey guys and gals. I'm Zach (Savage243). I have been reloading for a little over 2 years. Currently I reload 9mm, .44 Mag, .45-70, .223 for Service rifle, and .243 Win. I'm a little new to reloading for precision but I think this is a good place to learn.

hogpatrol likes this.
  6. Shooter87

Shooter87

Morning fellow shooters, Brad from Wisconsin, new to reloading (just installed my press on Sat 1/14/17). Wanting to learn as much as possible. Will be reloading .223, 9mm, and .45-70 to start. Also really have an itch to get into long range accuracy.

hogpatrol likes this.
  7. DeadEyeDick45

DeadEyeDick45

Welcome Brad! What press you have set up? While I'm not new to reloading, I'm always learning something from visiting this site. My advice for any new reloader is to study, study, and then study some more. Get yourself at least two good current reloading manuals and follow established load parameters. Reloading is a great hobby and will enable you to customize to your shooting. I am currently reloading 380; 9mm; 38/357; 45 (Colt and acp) handgun as well as 204; 22 Hornet; 223; 6.5 Creedmoor; 30-30; and gearing up for the 22 Nosler. Enjoy!!

8. Shooter87

Shooter87

I received a Hornady Lock N Load kit for Christmas and will be using RCBS dies to start. Already read a reloading manuel at night to learn and am looking at getting the Nosler book to cross and see where they compare to the Hornady book.

hogpatrol likes this.
  9. DeadEyeDick45

DeadEyeDick45

Sounds like a good plan to me.

10. Shoebox

Shoebox

Hello to all !!
    I have been a member for a couple of weeks, and have had a most positive experience, friendly and helpful people
    So I thought I'll introduce myself,
    I'm from Queensland Australia I'm more of a hunter than range nut ( hope that don't offend ) but still eager to learn !!
    Building a new rifle with accuracy in mind ( compared to some of you guy's I might be stretching the word accuracy!)

Looking forward to future conversation

Steve

hogpatrol likes this.
  11. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Hi, I am Steve (DirtySteve) I shoot F class, and handgun stuff. I used to shoot High Power too. I currently live near San Antonio TX but will be retiring and moving to Montana in 16 months.

hogpatrol likes this.
  12. Ghost56

Ghost56

Howdy...just joined...my name's Rusty from PA...a hunter since 1976...Love to hunt predators,deer,turkey..etc...Im a veteran reloaded..Love ARs and bolt guns.Hope to get to know a few of you in the future.

hogpatrol likes this.
  13. SheepDog

SheepDog Silver $$ Contributor

Welcome, set a spell and have a cup of coffee.

14. Willie

Willie Silver $$ Contributor

I've always seen so much good info on this site, I couldn't resist joining up. 45 years ago, I started as hunter/reloader. I have progressed, over the years, to a long range hunter/ precision handloader and still learning something every day. I shoot a variety of 6.5s and 7mms. I only compete with myself and the wind. I fell for the line "you'll save money", but looking at my reloading room, components, tools and rifles, I'm pretty sure that someone lied to me.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    Demi-human, boltfluter and hogpatrol like this.
  15. Demi-human

Demi-human

Good morning. I am waiting to go rabbit hunting and thought a good time to say hello. I been getting into marksmanship lately and find this site to be invaluable when it comes to reliable, scientifically backed information about precision loading and shooting. Although I must admit, I am a pistol guy, I am currently enamored with my Savage F-tr in 223. Every time I am here i learn something new. I hope one day I can repay this wonderful assistance with some of mine own advice and experience.

hogpatrol likes this.
  16. RankAmateur

RankAmateur

Hello All,
    I've have been a hunter for life and now a casual reloader for about 4 years. Total loaded round count is barely 500 though as life has kept me too busy to get into long range shooting more seriously, the way I had planned.
    To date I've loaded mostly for off the shelf hunting rifles with entry level dies and equipment and spent what free time I had practicing with a 22lr or out stalking the woods for various tasty critters.

I have read, but not posted, extensively on this and other forums and feel like I know my way around enough to hang in an intelligent conversation and know generally what direction I want to go with my future rifles and reloading projects, but I lack experience and specific knowledge, so please feel free to laugh if I post the occasional dumb question. I am here to learn, not to profess.

hogpatrol likes this.
  17. unclefudd

unclefudd

I just recently learned about this site and am truly glad to have found it. Seems some VERY knowledgable, friendly people here to discuss all things shooting and reloading.
    I've been loading for my rifles, pistols and Shotguns since 1969 and still learning. So many great improvements over all these years.
    I have just begun to shoot one of my prairie dog guns in F Class, open and what a kick. (no pun)
    I shot on a range beyond 300 yards for the first time at the SW nationals last week and had a lot of fun and the gun did very well.
    Makes me think I want to build a gun just for that kind of competition. The gun I tried is my 6mmSLR with Rem 700 action and Broughton barrel and jewel trigger. I put it in a HS precision stock with NF 12X42X56 NXS and thats it. A young guy in Evanston Wyo. did the work on it so that I could shoot PDs at 6 to 8 hundred yards. Had no intention of shooting on a range.
    It was just a suggestion by my son to take it out to shoot with the big boys and it did really good. Especially when compared with some of the most beautiful equipment I had ever seen. It must take some special education and training to be able to use one of those front rests. WOW.
    Anyway, I think this is a great place to share and to learn. (HORRIBLE problem with virgin WW brass at the Nationals. Cost me a great score) Nuther story

UF

hogpatrol likes this.
  18. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan

Hi guys,,, My name is W.R.Buchanan or just plain Randy for short. I am a frequent contributor to several Reloading Websites and the purveyor of the Buchanan Precision Machine Hand Press. I have been building these tools for about a year now and they have been well received and there is an article about the tool in the current Feb/Mar 2017 Handloader Magazine.

I reload everything I shoot, and have many types of presses and support equipment. I also Cast Boolits, and Powder Coat them. Been reloading since 1971 when I started with a Lee Loader, and I still have it.

I hope to contribute something of value to this site and invite you to check out my Website,,, www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Thanks Randy

19. Beardogs

Beardogs

Hello

New to the forum. I've been rifle and shotgun shooting for many years. Only last couple of years have started to get in to more accurate and long range shooting and thus started reloading. So far I have reloaded my .308, worked out quite well. Now I've just started to work up a load for my 220 swift.

Cheers

20. hbsmalley

hbsmalley

Greetings. New to this site but like what I see so far. Been reloading for my .223 for about 3 years now and love it. It started when I tried to make a new Savage shoot straight, it would not so I had it re-barreled and it's a shooter now! Always trying to improve my reloading skills and tighten my groups. Five shots can be covered with a dime at 100 yards now. My fav shooting is defending farm fields from rock chucks, I stopped counting last summer when I went over 300 and hope to do even better this year. Always looking for new insight in reloading for accuracy.