Watch your feet and hands, folks!

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by GaryL1959, Aug 6, 2018.

1. GaryL1959

GaryL1959 Silver $$ Contributor

Was out trimming some shooting lanes yesterday afternoon and had a close encounter of the copperhead kind. Only grace and Danner boots prevented a trip to the hospital.
    I normally watch the ground pretty closely for these rascals, but just did not see this heifer until she was attached to my pants leg about ankle high...took the picture just before reducing her to a hole in the ground with a sweetgum limb...37 inches long and about the diameter of my wrist. Screenshot_2018-08-05-20-43-50-1.png

allen529, orbitup, Don and 6 others like this.
  2. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

GACK! Shivers! I hate snakes more than I hate bugs

3. Someoldguy

Someoldguy Silver $$ Contributor

Copperheads.

Bad, bad news. Glad you escaped unscathed.

Immike likes this.
  4. Downhill

Downhill

Those damn things are nearly impossible to see until they move.

mikeinct and Immike like this.
  5. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

killed one about the same size last year,,in my warehouse right under the Harley,,getting ready to throw my leg over when I seen it,,,one dead snake,,

6. sawcarver

sawcarver Gold $$ Contributor

That's why I like living in Michigan, only thing we have to worry about is mosquitoes.

RampedRaptor, chop house and timeout like this.
  7. okie

okie Gold $$ Contributor

what?? i dont see anything....!!

8. jghoghunter

jghoghunter Gold $$ Contributor

These two rattle snakes we're 50' from the front door of camp. They were 10' apart one on each side of the steps. The dogs found the one and came running back to camp. Then we went out and found them and took care of them. Rattlers in the woods are fine Rattlers in the camp area beware your days are numbered.

Attached Files:

9. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

And they are not inclined to move. When you step in the middle of one, it is kind of a mushy roll. Nasty little SOB's.
    They have ruined many spring squirrel hunts for me. After you see one, you may as well go home. You have to look up for squirrels, but you can only look for copperheads.

wholman, Cloudrepair, orbitup and 7 others like this.
  10. Immike

Immike Silver $$ Contributor

Don’t go to the Tennessee river and build a fire next to the water without adequate firepower! We did that for 2 nights when I was a kid and was surrounded by copperheads. We had nothing but the neighbors down the shore had machetes, rifles and pistols blazing all night... I ain’t doing that again!

joshb, 370bc and Lone Hunter like this.
  11. rebel

rebel Gold $$ Contributor

Dang Gary, glad your ok. 37 inches is a whopper copperhead. That would have left a mark!

12. ClassCat

ClassCat Unlimited Gold $$ Contributor

Shooting Ben Avery one morning. An 8' King Brown slithered by without giving me a second look.

13. Rsadams

Rsadams

That's a big one , I would have had to change my shorts if I saw that thing hooked on to my pants leg...lol

I have stepped on a few over the years hunting , know exactly what they feel like , luckily were they couldn't bite me , you just can't see them sometimes... I have told my wife for years to be careful out here in the woods ( city girl ) one day I killed one and coiled it up by the walkway in the open and she walked right over it.. Never saw it till I pointed it out , she looks now... BTW no head on the snake... They blend in...

14. Lone Hunter

Lone Hunter

They are the reason I don't care to bow hunt much anymore. Here in TN the rattlers and copperheads are plentiful. They say it is against the law to kill rattlers but I will break the law every time I see one. Don't know why but snakes scare the hell out of me. Just do not like them. I wish they would make camouflage to match the copperheads. Guy would blend in very good. 37" is a big one. I probably would still be screaming like a little girl if one struck me and hung up in my boots or pants.. Glad that one partially missed you..

orbitup, Immike, CaptainMal and 2 others like this.
  15. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Gold $$ Contributor

A bite could run upwards of $37,000 as the anti venom is $10,000 per vile.

Copper head bites are horrible in tissue destruction.

16. KMart

Don't you have to have some special permit to kill those things in Pa.?

17. grovey

grovey Silver $$ Contributor

Yikes...

18. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

Think so today but both before I left Pa. in 1999 I had killed tens of those rattle worms. Went back to my camp in Centre Co. in 2006 and got another. Now I literally battle them each year putting in food plots at my place in Georgia. Here from last year. Most always deal with one or more each year. I have one solution and this is it. Note the boots. Would not take a step in the Georgia woods without them.

[​IMG]fullsizeoutput_ec1 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

gambleone, Twicepop, 370bc and 3 others like this.
  19. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

Yinz killed a big one!

20. KMart

You need to get your hog population up a little. They will thin them out for you.
    On the other hand, which is worse, a hog or a snake?

la-shooter and JSH like this.