Want to Start 22 Bench Rest Shooting

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by andrews1958, Aug 15, 2019.

1. andrews1958

andrews1958 Silver $$ Contributor

I had an opportunity to attend a 22 Bench Rest match at my range in Augusta Maine. I am hooked and now a sponge to learn anything and everything about the sport. Rifles, actions, barrels rest,stocks, wind, ammo etc. Are there any good books or magazines on the subject? Recommended gunsmiths, where to buy a good new or used rifle? Your thoughts? Advice?

2. BP1

BP1 Team Texas F-TR Silver $$ Contributor

I just bought a vudoo v-22 and their single shot follower and plan on shooting benchrest,f/class,ELR rf,and nlr 22rf matches. I wanted a action that could do it all and I believe the vudoo can.

DirtySteve likes this.
  3. Medic505

Medic505 Dean Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Let me guess... standard velocity .22 rf @ 1000 yards? If you can hit 1 in 50 you're the winner?

BP1 likes this.
  4. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Sell everything else you have, clean out one side of the garage for ammo you wont use and take out a second mortgage to buy more ammo

5. BP1

Yup..pretty much like the center fire version but smaller..:D

6. BP1

I think it’s a tad bit farther..it’s called the king of 6/10 of a mile.

DirtySteve and xswanted like this.
  7. Tim s

Tim s

Continue to go to a couple matches.
    This site, as good as it is, is pretty weak in all things rimfire benchrest.
    Benchrest central can be decent, Rimfire Accuracy is good regarding 22 BR and both have good classified sections.
    That said, NEVER forget these places are jam packed with “keyboard shooters”.....internet experts you will never, ever hear about at a match.
    Really spend time trying to learn to recognize folks that provide knowledge based information and don’t jump into anything too fast.
    You will get a flavor for who has experience, what equipment tends to perform, ammo info, etc.

8. PatMiles

PatMiles Gold $$ Contributor

Boy, ain't that the truth!

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  9. TAJ45

TAJ45 Gold $$ Contributor

I've spoken with several top notch BR guys whose name you'd recognize and some you wouldn't as I was cogitating on doing the rf thing instead of rolling my own due to time availability. Several had switched to cf tiring of fighting the "dropped shot" and really tiring of the "ammunition chase" as one put it.
    That's where CChoice or CShooters Supply sends a smattering of diff mfrs & lots to see what your rig really likes.....then you hock one of the kids, the dog, put off putting the roof on the house and buy alllll of that brand/lot you can get your paws on.

Diff strokes etc. You'll have fun. You'll learn a lot about wind, make friends, no spare bar time. Hmm, that brings up another point....

Winters in Maine? Just go straight down the reloading rabbit hole, weigh cases (dubious improvement), weigh primers (ditto), turn necks, measure ogive to base, weigh projectiles etc etc.
    THAT will keep ya bizzy while staying warm. :) ;)

In all seriousness, when I was advised of the above re rf, i changed my mind. I can plunk vermin, larger vermin awa hunt or compete at ranges that seem to approach infinity.

I realize a close by club has tremendous advantages and cf competitions may not be close. Just saying you may want to step back before you start shoveling $$ down that rabbit hole w a Time Precision or Calfee rig (he lives 45 mins south of me). Buy a lesser grade rig and begin learning the fundamentals, get some savvy about you and keep a low profile on expendituress.
    But above all HAVE FUN .

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    BP1 and hpshooter like this.
  10. JMayo

JMayo

Rimfire ?
    ARA or IR50/50 or club?
    Killoughs shooting sports/KSS has everything for bench rest shooting.
    https://www.killoughshootingsports.com/index.php/home/

You're up near Cliff Arnold. He makes great rest.
    Needs:
    A match grade rifle
    Scope 30+
    One piece rest
    Cleaning supplies

Start testing lotts of Eley until you find one that shoots in your rifle.
    Buy a case ....
    About 7-8k $ you'll be perfectly in the ARA game.

IR 50 ....get a good cz with a 30+ scope, 2 pice rest. start testing ammo.

I'll talk on the phone with ya if you want.
    Johnny Mayo
    901-238-5132

R.Morehouse likes this.
  11. rjtfroggy

rjtfroggy Silver $$ Contributor

I don't shoot rf bench rest so take what I say with a grain of salt.
    First go back and talk to the others shooting the matches gather as much info as possible.
    Finish out the season with what ever you have to make sure you really want to pursue this type of shooting and to see what others shoot and to keep asking questions.
    Winters are long here in N.E. plenty of time to decide what you want/need.
    Don't do what I did with Cf and start with something below par and then spend a lot trying to make it competitive. Waste of time and Money, buy once and be done but buy something you are sure you like and be sure it fits your needs and you. In other words see what is winning and start there ( maybe some one that is shooting has one for sale - ask).
    Most important thing have fun and try to stay with in your budget.

12. PatMiles

And if you want the really good BB's, stand your wife/gurfriend/significant other out on a busy street corner.

13. tangocharlie

tangocharlie

Let me reiterate a couple of things already said - first, don’t cut corners on your equipment. Buy once, cry once. That being said, some of the best times and most enjoyable will be behind a rimfire rifle. For me, especially as I get older, it’s more about fun and friends. Sure, I win occasionally. Even a blind hog finds an acorn sometimes. If it’s not fun, don’t do it. If you feel it’s an unnecessary burden, don’t do it. Simple rules.

ledward, BP1, pirate ammo and 2 others like this.
  14. PatMiles

What TC said, all fo it!

15. linekin

linekin Silver $$ Contributor

There is also IR 50 matches in Boothbay as well as the ARA match you attended. ARA is also being shot in Hollis.
    We have Unlimited matches in Boothbay every other Thursday night at 5pm.
    Also have a State & Regional match coming up next weekend if you’re interested.
    You can read all you want & pick through the info but seat time at matches & practice will tell you more of what you’re looking for.
    I have extra rifles if you’d like to try it in the near future. Just pm me, I’ll help all I can
    Keith

R.Morehouse, JMayo and pirate ammo like this.
  16. Tim s

Tim s

I’m sure you did.....maybe ten years ago.
    Rimfire ammo, from both Lapua and ELEY (most frequently shot) has never been better nor more easily available.
    Should have mentioned, avoid like the freaking plague any thread starting with “I know a guy, used to shoot with a guy, friend that shot at a match(s)”
    Two of the biggest biggest fallacies promoted largely by the “keyboard” crowd are the myth of the ammo conspiracy, and the “flyer” in every box..... “ It could not possibly be me missing a condition”
    With a little effort you can find ammo well above your skill level for quite some time.

Evan likes this.
  17. TAJ45

TAJ45 Gold $$ Contributor

Hmmm, I had not heard "the flyer in every box" scenario.
    Interestingly enough, I've picked up a factoid:
    Eley has triple digit Primary QC points as well as secondary QC points also over a hundred.
    Check out on this Forum, "22 long rifle testing", maybe "22 lr testing" by peebles24. A bit more insight into the game.
    I too believe in buying once and crying once but with sooo much to learn about reloading , wind reading and bag set up and technique, my approach is this:
    If I have a rifle that will shoot 2" at 300 consistently with my loads on a really good, no wind or mirage morning, I will up grade when and if I start shooting those groups when conditions are worse...when I think my equipment or 35 cent pills are holding me back.
    Upgrade if I
    1) still want to play the game
    2) I can honestly afford to play, time and $$

Yes I have half stepped my way re equipment losing $$ but have also saved $$ finding out my desires, tastes changed after the honeymoon period.
    Know this: Whatever course you take is the right one for you, for now. Mods and caveats may well follow. ;-)

18. riverwolf1

riverwolf1 Silver $$ Contributor

You can learn a lot by going to a caliber specific site like Rimfire Central.

19. andrews1958

andrews1958 Silver $$ Contributor

Thanks for the great info. I have a $5,000 budget. Already have a new Sinclair Competition Rest. Would this work? Recommendation for a rifle? Maker?

20. riverwolf1

riverwolf1 Silver $$ Contributor

Can’t hardly go wrong with an Anschutz, super match 54 action rifle, Or a custom built stiller, a Turbo and now a Vodoo action rifle. Buy the best glass possible for it.