Vudoo V22 finding the best ammo

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by willbas, Nov 25, 2018.

1. willbas

willbas

20181124_170335 (1024x731).jpg 20181124_170427.jpg
    20181117_144649.jpg
    I did some ammo testing yesterday for my new Vudoo 22lr I found some Wolf Match Target too and added it to the mix. test done at 50 yards 5 shoot groups. I will be doing some more testing I like the Seller & Bellot, Lapua Center-X, SK Biathlon sport and SK Rifle Match.

NorCalMikie likes this.
  2. FJIM

FJIM

I dont see any good ammo on your list...SK standard +, SK pistol Match, RWS Target Rifle, Lapua Midas +, Eley Tenex , RWS HV HP, This is the ammo I like and seems to shoot very well in a few different rifle's. Most everything on your list I have shot was not as good as my list. Kind of like your target.

3. Delfuego

Delfuego Silver $$ Contributor

Try Eley Edge and SK Pistol Match too.

4. moondog

moondog Gold $$ Contributor

SK Pistol match works great in mine.
    I didn't use their barrel though.

5. willbas

willbas

My barrel is a Benchmark 3 groove installed by my gunsmith.

6. FJIM

FJIM

I kind of wonder about their barrel. I have looked at the V22 as maybe to buy one and I just don't like the clip sticking out the bottom, just does not look good to me, I am more traditional I guess. I know his shooting set up is not great and what kind of accuracy do you expect from one BUT I will say from all the groups I have seen posted from guy's who have them in many different rifle I have not been impressed with what I have seen. Like my Anschutz or most other 22LR's seem to shoot as well or better.

7. willbas

willbas

thanks a the ammo suggestions The problem is I am in Calif and I have to shoot what I can find at local gun shops. I will make a list and see what I cam find or request a dealer to order.

8. moondog

moondog Gold $$ Contributor

I had a Chanlynn barrel installed on mine
    He fixed the extraction issue too. And that was supposedly after they fixed the issue prior to sending me the action.
    Haven't really taken it out past 100 yards though. Mine is stupid accurate at 50.

9. FJIM

FJIM

Just go to Champion's choice and have them ship you some. They can ship to CA right ? I guess I read they have to ship to a FFL dealer. Still should not be a problem to get some 22LR ammo for testing or playing around.. Man you got to get out of that Ca place.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  10. FJIM

FJIM

Moondog I am interested in what stupid accurate at 50 yards looks like ?

This is my Anschutz at 50 yards. high .100's to mid .200's is kind of normal. Under 1" at 100 yards is normal. .598 was 100 yards. I have agged under 1" at 100 yards. That is Eley Tenex. It does shoot well in mine as does Lapua Midas +. Center X no good. Mid .300-.450.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    Jdne5b likes this.
  11. willbas

willbas

They have to ship to license FFL. I can no longer buy online. :mad:

12. FJIM

FJIM

I read you can order it online just have to have it shipped to a dealer. Just kind of like buying gun online. Should not be a big problem I am sure some dealer would let you ship some in. But you buy it online and have it shipped in. You don't want to pay Retail store prices for it. I had one place soaked me for 12 bucks for a box of RWS Target Rifle but I knew it shot well so I bought a few boxes, Champions choice has it 6.50 a box. I got 10 boxes along with a lot of other's to play with. Yea that would suck not to be able to order it in.

13. Bart B.

Bart B.

Here's what my Annie 1911 did at a 50 yard prone match in 2006 with Eley 10X made in 1979:

IMG_0157.JPG

X ring is .390 inch.

Mikey_P and FJIM like this.
  14. Rob01

Rob01

Eley Match and Edge, Fed Ultra Match and Lapua Center X all shoot great out of my Vudoo. Use all for matches. SK Rifle match is good for shorter range matches and keeping the price down some. But like any .22 you have to see what your rifle likes.

Mikey_P likes this.
  15. rr2030

rr2030

I have been told that LAX ammo will order anything you want. Few if anyone here has standard velocity match ammo.

16. jbell

jbell Silver $$ Contributor

OP, not to butt in but from your target it looks like you are just shooting a group with brand X and then switching over to brand y and comparing group for group. This is very problematic and will not produce an accurate representation of how a particular brand of ammo will shoot out of your rifle.

You need to either clean and re-season, or as I do just season between brand x and brand y. Simply a few wet patches or VFG felts with your favorite solvent followed up with drying the bore and chamber well. Then it will take 10-15 rounds before the new ammo will "settle in" and start shooting to its potential. I never bother cleaning between ammo for 2 reasons: 1 I never like to clean any more than I absolutely have to (like when accuracy falls off) and 2 it takes about the same number of rounds to season with or without cleaning so why bother to clean??

Here is how it will go between ammo brands (so you don't get a false impression of a specific ammo that you may think is more accurate than it is): shoot brand x for a while and then switch to brand y, the 1st 4 to 6 rounds of brand y will more than likely be a screamer of a group (which is what I am talking about getting a false impression of how the ammo may actually shoot), the next 5-8 rounds will be pretty erratic (the POI will start shifting around some), then somewhere around 15ish rounds it will settle in and start shooting consistent groups.

I say all of this based on many many years testing high quality ammo out of high quality rifles and 90% of the time this is exactly what happens. So you know you normally can switch within brands without having to re-season, meaning going from Eley Match to Eley Tenex or Lapua Center X to Lapua Midas.

You have an excellent set up there if the gunsmith did his part installing the barrel. I have owned many top tier factory and custom rimfires over the years and the V22 is as good or in many ways better than any of them. I love the control round feed aspect, and the action is just so smooth! Mike did an excellent job on the action. IMHO a Benchmark 3 grove is the best rimfire barrel going. If you don't mind who installed it and what chamber does it have in it?

I have an Anschutz 54 with a Penrod installed Benchmark 15 twist 3 grove right now. I just bought a Vudoo with a VGW installed Bart 22" MTU, and have 2 Vudoo built 20" Ace Kukri barrels coming for my brother and myself. So we will have a large cross section of their product to test out. I was going to have Jay at VGW install a Benchmark on my V22 but after talking to him at length about the Ace barrels they offer I decided I wanted to try one for myself. I can always have a Benchmark installed later if I decide to. So far the Vudoo with the 22" Bart is shooting excellent. FYI VGW uses a particular chamber designed by Mike Bush and from my testing it likes the Lapua bullets over the Eley EPS bullets.

17. missed

missed

Mine has been shooting well with SK standard and a bit better with SK match. Lapua center X I have better results with. So far the bulk of the shooting has been with SK match. I have one of the ACE Vudoo barrels on mine.

18. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

THANK YOU CALIFORNIA!!:rolleyes::mad:

willbas likes this.
  19. willbas

willbas

Thanks for the up date they do have a San Diego store I will check out today.

20. flatlander

flatlander

My experience is spread over several Kriegers, one Benchmark 3-groove, one Lilja titebore, and just getting started on shooting with a Bartlein on a V-22 bbl'd action from VGW. Don't know how close the Ravage reamer that VGW uses is to the EPS from PTG that I have used on my barrels, but...here's what I've seen over the past three years. SK Std+ is sometimes pretty good, but always has more fliers than either SK Rifle or Pistol Match. I tested at least a dozen lots of Rifle Match before finding one I felt was good enough to buy in quantity. Pistol Match (not Pistol Special - it's loaded to slightly higher vel, and from all I've heard from online friends, hasn't shot nearly as well as plain Pistol Match) OTOH, has been uniformly good. I bought six lots to test, and four of the six shot about as well as the best of all the Rifle Match lots. Almost a year after buying a full case of Pistol Match, I bought a half-case blind - no testing, no asking for a specific lot# - and it's very nearly as good as the picked lot that I bought the full case of. Lapua Center-X - again, I bought beau coup lots of it to test, and by the time I finally found a lot# that was pretty good, it was all gone, none of the suppliers I use had any more of it in stock. I did get almost a half-case of a fairly decent lot, and while it doesn't shoot any better than - and sometimes doesn't shoot as good as - SK Rifle or Pistol Match - at 100yds, it will usually out-shoot either by a small margin at 200-300yds. Lapua Polar Biathlon has out-shot anything else I've tried at 200-300yds, but again, it was a case of finding a lot# that my barrels liked. A friend lucked into a case of this stuff from a gun shop that was selling out of the Lapua they had in stock. He gave me a 50rd box to try, and it was considerably better than any of the other lots of bi-polar (as he likes to call it) that I've been able to test. And now that Lapua's advertising a newer version of Polar Biathlon, I'm thinking that I'd rather send the newest Bartlein bbl'd action off to the Lapua Test Center in Az. rather than to test it myself.

The really neat thing I've seen with this new bbl'd action is that it shoots really well with the lot# of SK Rifle Match I bought two cases of....but have only shot it at 50yds so far. Finally finished our corn harvest last week, so when we get some decent weather again, I'll be out & about with that rifle, doing some shooting at 100-200-300yds with it. Hopefully, one or more of the test lots of bi-polar I have will shoot well at longer range in this rifle than they did in the Kriegers I chambered myself...

willbas and Mikey_P like this.