Votes for best XTC match 223 ammo

Discussion in 'ELR, Ballistics & Bullets Board' started by QQgunstuff, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Silver $$ Contributor

Wow! That's a ridiculously low prices for that ammo. I've had pretty good luck in the past with SSA ammo, so I think I might have to stock up on a bit of that myself. Thanks for posting.

QQ - as long as you test a few different brands and find something your rifle "likes", you'll be fine. If you have access to a chronograph, I'd use velocity extreme spread as one of the readouts. In my hands, even the best commercial .223 Rem ammunition can suffer from excessively high ES/SD. So if you find a couple brands that show good precision, you might be able to whittle the list down further using velocity data as a readout. Good luck with it.

2. tflorman

tflorman

On reduced courses, you don't need to shoot the heavier loads (69 and up grainers) 50 to 62 grainers will work just fine and are probably less expensive than "match grade" ammo. Buy the heavier stuff for the full distance matches...unless you get screaming deal, then just buy as much as you can afford and get down to business learning to shoot it consistently.

3. QQgunstuff

QQgunstuff

That pricing does make it hard to pass up, esoecially at this early stage of ammo “try-out”...!

4. QQgunstuff

QQgunstuff

That’s another point I do need to take into consideration. Right now I regularly shoot the 200 yd reduced course since there’s a nice NRA sanctioned range 35miles from me. Nearest 600yd is 250 miles....

5. QQgunstuff

QQgunstuff

I really appreciate all the responses. Gives me a much better overview of ammo selection, with all the plus and minuses, do’s and dont’s.

I’ll try to remember to give an update, say in 6months or so, of my ammo efforts.

But for now, what the heck do I do about OFFHAND?....I’ll address this issue in another forum soon I’m sure!!!

QQ

GSS likes this.
  6. Zero333

Zero333

Fed Gold Medal Match 69 & 77 gr always shoots good. Also had good results with Hornady TAP FPD 75 gr.

I started reloading with the Rockchucker supreme Master kit. You can find it on sale for $ 320.
    https://www.natchezss.com/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-master-reloading-kit-with-m500-scale.html
    It comes with everything you need, but I prefer using Hornady One-Shot Case lube instead of the stuff that's in the kit.

Press Kit - 320
    RCBS Full length dies - 60 ?
    1000 primers = 40-50 (can also buy boxes of 100 at less that $5 each)
    1 Lb powder = 35
    box of Berger 75 gr bullets = $ 40 ?
    Shell hollder = $ 5 ?
    One-Shot case lube $ 10
    Brass - Free (your factory fired brass is good)
    =========================

Around $ 500 will get you started !

The RCBS Rock Chucker supreme MASTER kit has a reloading manual, beam scale, powder drop, chamfer-deburr tool, case tray, hand priming tool and a few other things

You don't need a case trimmer until you fire each case a handful of times. Usually I can get 5 firings per case before trimming, but if you measure the chamber you can let it grow farther safely.
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...-chamber-length-with-home-made-modified-case/
    So not something you need right away.

I paid less than 1k for my Dillon XL-650 which is not something a beginner should ever get. And progressive presses are not usually used for match ammo.

Single stage press is the only press a beginner should start on.

7. joe_osu

joe_osu

I am a little late to this post but I can personally recommend Loader Monkey LLC. I believe he is only on Facebook right now. I have shot his ammo at camp Perry nationals and personally know of several others who have. all positive experiences. great ammo at great prices. I think one guy using his ammo made the shoot off for the p100 last year, but I cannot say 100%.

8. waltkrafft

waltkrafft

I suggest you try Sig Sauer's Elite Performance Ammunition. They make a 77gr load that shoots great. Save the brass and load your own when you decide that's what you want to do.