Vortex Golden Eagle

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by CharlieNC, Jan 20, 2017.

1. willbas

willbas

I was zeroing my rifle with a 30 moa base at 100 yards place dot on center of target bullet hole low left. I started vertical at 10 moa up from bottom and windage 20 moa from all the way left. To center shoot on target I had to go up 15 more moa and add 14 more moa right so bullet hit center of the target at 100 yards. I have used 25 moa out of 55 moa vertical which leaves me with 30 moa vertical and I need 34 moa to hit 1000 yards. I have used 34 moa out of 45 moa of windage which leaves me with 11 right moa and 34 left moa.

2. Gabe22BR

Gabe22BR Gold $$ Contributor

What rings, and base do you use?

3. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer Silver $$ Contributor

Savage?

Ray

4. Raythemanroe

My VGE was a few inches high at a hundred yards, one adjustment and I was G2Go.. 26 minutes of Vertical I was on paper at 1k with a 20 MOA rail..

Ray

5. willbas

willbas

not rings and base same style of rings on my ACTAR I have 110 of up out out 120 at the middle of windage at 29 out of 60

6. CharlieNC

CharlieNC

After shooting with the GE quite a while, occasionally I would encounter a situation when I thought the sharpness should be better. SO I began experimenting with the eyepiece adjustment. While it had been set to achieve the "sharpest" reticle against a nondescript background, this is not a precise point when viewing the fine crosshair. Viewing a 300yd Fclass target, approx 1/2 turn resulted in a very sharp image. Mirage was high and I was using the objective aperature for a nice improvement. Continuing the experiment, removal of the aperature required a 1/4 rotation of the eyepiece to regain target sharpness. I don't recall other scopes being this sensitive, or maybe I've been lucky or just missing something.

7. Raythemanroe

I haven't really adjusted on mine since initial adjustment to my eye. I felt it looked good last match (first 1k match with the VGE) while on the 1k yard line.. I thought the cross hairs may be to fine for my taste but on target it worked well.. Conditions were ideal with almost no mirage to speak of.. @ 60x the eye box was touchy, but that is the case with most scopes when you get to 60x I feel.. I rolled it back to 50-55x and this got it to run easier for me, 60x wasn't dark like I read in other reviews..I probably will take the caps off and give it some slick lube to get rid of the o-ring feel that muddles the clicks..

Ray

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  8. gawga_boy

gawga_boy Silver $$ Contributor

After use of mine in matches and at the range I decided that my issue with the GE at 50x and above is my cataracts. At the lower powers more light is going around them providing a good image. The higher powers more of the image is from the distorted light coming through the cataract.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  9. USMCDOC

USMCDOC Silver $$ Contributor

I am using mine at 50 yards.. i am really impressed with it, i have let others look through it an they all have been impressed with it. I leave the ASR on it as well.. it does help with definition. I have had it on 50 power and it was nice.. the scope didn't start to darken up till between 55 and 60 power.. i use it most times at 35 power.

10. raptor1ronin

raptor1ronin

Ordered mine with optics planet military discount. Hope the ECR doesn't take too long to get. Fingers crossed

11. johara1

johara1

Don't hold your breath I ordered one the same way and waited 3 months and finally gave up and canceled it...... Jim

12. Raythemanroe

Try Europtics and call, prices can be better if you call..

Ray

13. raptor1ronin

raptor1ronin

Oh snap. Guess I will give them a call today.

Called and spoke to John, He says that they expect an order next week from Vortex, and that im #2 on the back order list which mean im going to get first dibs. I sure hope to get it soon. If not i will be trolling the for sale forums.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017 at 1:52 PM