Vortex Golden Eagle

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by CharlieNC, Jan 20, 2017.

1. CharlieNC

CharlieNC

Just received the GE!! Installing on my 223Ftr rifle today to prep for the upcoming season. After looking through my shooting buddy's I just had to increase the mag from my 8-32. We will see how much my scores improve, ha ha.

dmoran, dragman and Dgd6mm like this.
  2. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

With much enthusiasm, have one coming myself....
    The smallest 1000-BR group that I ever seen shot at a match, was when the shooter (Lonnie Anderson at the 2016 NW 1000-BR Championship) was day-viewing a Golden Eagle (a 1.7"). Plus when looking through it in a comparison to a March and a Nightforce, was very impressed with the clarity, eye relief, power, and reticle.
    Good Luck with yearn
    Donovan

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    Raythemanroe likes this.
  3. DBLNUT

DBLNUT

I have 2 Nightforce competitions and 1 Golden Eagle. I have to say the one I have is not near as clear as the NF, not bad but not as clear. The initial impression I had was they was pretty close but after using one for a bit I think the Nightforce is better.

Performance Shooting and dmoran like this.
  4. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

That is how I saw it in my comparison also....
    Thought the NF Comp was a little clearer, and the Golden Eagle a little better then March and NF BR's.
    The eye relief seemed better/wider and more forgiving then the others (an important aspect to me).
    Donovan

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  5. Chuckhunter

Chuckhunter Silver $$ Contributor

I'll sacrifice a little clarity for true tracking, rock solid adjustments. Anybody whose tried one or has one have an opinion or comparison.

6. Sitsntree

Sitsntree

How's the tracking on the GE? I've been considering getting 1

7. Willow

Willow

I have two Golden Eagles and both have held up fine under tracking between 100 to 800 metres.

8. CharlieNC

CharlieNC

After much rain I finally had the opportunity to shoot local 300yd range. As usual the mirage was terrible, but I could resolve the X ring at 60 power. Conversely my former SIII needed dialing back into to 20 power range for adequate resolution in similar conditions. Nice gain in this regard. Turrets were very mushy until one of the rings was removed, then crisp adjustments.

9. avidflyer

avidflyer Silver $$ Contributor

O ring? ..

10. LitLBoy

LitLBoy Gold $$ Contributor

Yes --- what kind of ring are you talking about???
    LitLBoy

11. CharlieNC

CharlieNC

Yes, one of the O rings. Ive run into this on a number of different scopes over the last couple of years.

12. gstaylorg

gstaylorg Silver $$ Contributor

I hope you're joking about the O-rings, they're there for a purpose. Mushy turret clicks can often be tightened up by slightly tightening the turret set screw. Can't tell if the Vortex has this option. If not, I'd consider asking Vortex how to tighten up the turret clicks before removing an O-ring.

13. Willow

Willow

Both of my Golden Eagles felt a little mushy to begin with, still firm but not particularly tactile in click feel. I am pleased to say this has improved considerably with use though, the more you use those turrets the more the click feel should improve.

Robert Swift and ASbobcat like this.
  14. CharlieNC

CharlieNC

I'm hoping that cleaning the grease from the orings and using a lower viscosity lube will resolve it.

15. johara1

johara1

16. CharlieNC

CharlieNC

Used Ballistol to clean the grease and lube; working slick now. Turrets "click" positively with no slack.

ASbobcat likes this.
  17. johara1

johara1

A friend had issues in the cold with the clicks that were soft and sent back and it got fixed fine now. It sounds like a lube issue, no big deal........ jim

Raythemanroe likes this.
  18. jsthntn247

jsthntn247 Silver $$ Contributor

Mine was a little mushy as well. Cleaned the thick lube from inside the turret and O ring and re-lubed with thin green grease. Had to do the same thing with my Athlon Cronus. Positive clicks now.

19. johara1

johara1

I have some synthetics i may try right away That would eliminate the cold issue, or maybe some silicon spray would work ....... jim

reevesWV Iceman likes this.
  20. LitLBoy

LitLBoy Gold $$ Contributor

Just got one a couple days ago ---- very positive clicks. And tracks perfect.
    LitLBoy