Vortex Golden eagle vs Sightron S3

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by calgarycanada, Nov 2, 2016.

1. calgarycanada

calgarycanada

Trying to pick a scope for FTR rifle, so scope will be used at range only, 300 yards to 1k.
    I like Sightron s3 10-50 because of its reputation in competition world but Vortex has been doing some great things lately plus no hassle warranty is a big plus and extra 10x magnification doesn't hurt either.
    In Canada Vortex is $500 more and I'm trying to weigh in if it's worth spending extra $$

Hoping to get honest opinions from guys who have used both or atleast Golden eagle.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  2. Kakumba

Kakumba

I would go the Vortex, easy. I like the glass, but most importantly, the turrets are way better. 1/8 MOA clicks and 10 MOA per rotation, more readable than the Sightron as well. I had a Sightron, and its a good scope, but for my money, Vortex all the way

calgarycanada likes this.
  3. calgarycanada

calgarycanada

Thanks for your input

4. jr600yd

jr600yd Gold $$ Contributor

Just something to consider. Scope glass quality. This can be over rated by a competitor. Yes, we want good clear glass on all scopes but your shooting a large target (compared to an animal) at a known distance. Your not trying to pick out antelers in the brush. Either scope will be excellent for your needs.

6MMsteve and Alex Wheeler like this.
  5. calgarycanada

calgarycanada

Good point that's why I didn't consider nightforce, as I don't need super glass or ruggedness in a range use only scope.

6. Kakumba

Kakumba

Heh. I actually upgraded from the Sightron to the Nightforce. Not for glass, but for the turrets. 1/8 MOA clicks are quite valuable for F Class competition, and having only 5MOA per rotation is unacceptable to me. I had a Sightron 10-50 with 1/4 MOA clicks, and needed to move to 1/8. The sightron has 10MOA per revolution with 1/4 clicks, and only 5MOA per rotation with 1/8. Both the Vortex and NF have 10MOA per rotation with 1/8 clicks

The other thing is that the Nightforce has a zero stop. Now, a lot of people will say that its unimportant. No, you dont need a zero stop, but I have used scopes with and without, and I can say that I would never buy another scope for competition that doesnt have a zero stop. If ever I am not sure exactly what elevation my scope is dialled to, I can dial down to zero, and dial what I need. No thinking required. Sure, I always got it right on the Sigthron, but I am a firm believer in engineering out failure. When I have a simple solution available to me that removes a possible mode of failure, why wouldnt I take advantage of it?

Ram likes this.
  7. newbieshooter

newbieshooter :-) Silver $$ Contributor

Don't some of the SIII 10-50 scopes have 1/8 clicks and 10MOA per revolution? like http://info.sightron.com/Riflescopes/SIII-Series/SIIISS1050x60LRMD/ ??

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  8. Kakumba

Kakumba

Havent seen that one in person, but it looks that way. I wonder if they have updated their range, because it looks like they are saying all their 1/8 MOA click scopes have 10MOA per rotation now. I still dont like the turrets, but it would be much more tolerable with 10 MOA per rotation

9. Hosted

Hosted

My Sightron 10-50x has 1/8 clicks. I love it but haven't used many high dollar scopes. I liked the idea of the Vortex but the Sightrons come up for sale slightly used on here for around $700 every once in a while so that made my choice pretty easy.

10. rotts4u

rotts4u Silver $$ Contributor

Is the Sightron SV 10-50 out of your price range? I have been using nightforce etc but recently bought the new SV and really like it. I shoot MIL based scopes so I got the .05mil adjustment which is about equivalent to .18 moa per click.

11. calgarycanada

calgarycanada

I learned shooting using MIL/MIL and Vortex is going to be my second MOA based scope.
    I like using MIL based scopes for everything else but now we have started using electronic targets for f class. Now when score comes up 1/2 moa off wind call etc I find it hard to convert to MILs and then correct fire. Before electronic targets it was easy as target came up I could measure with my reticle as to how far the wind call was.
    It's not impossible to do calculations but I'm thinking it'll be easier with MOA scope.
    I have Sightron 10-50 MIL MIL right now. My only complaint is 2.5mil per rotation turrets. I wish they were 5 MIL per turn.

12. SS427

SS427

Sightron was a attractive option when Big Supply Shop used to sell them at such an inexpensive price. Did some shopping the other day and saw they had to raise their prices...which makes some of the other choices more appealing now.