vortex golden eagle vs nightforce 15-55

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by Shooter13, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Shooter13

Shooter13 Gold $$ Contributor

I know this is subjective but would like to know what the community thinks, has anyone owned both? What did you think 1 vs 2? Is the Nightforce worth more than the Vortex? I will be adding one or the other in the next few months for my 30 BR and with my old eyes I need all the advantage (can you say equal?) I can get to see the target, don't know if I'll ever build a long range gun but for now the 100-300 yards is all I'm going. Your input is appreciated and welcome (please keep it civil).
    Yours in shooting.
    Shooter13

2. Enosiophobia

Enosiophobia

I have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 on my 6mm RPR. I shoot at 250 and have zero complaints. I dont have a ton of experience with Nightforce or "high dollar" scopes but I'm pleased with it and I dont think I have any magnification issues to speak of.

3. 280man

280man Silver $$ Contributor

I’ve used and tested both. Been shooting a NF since we got them in 2013. Both are excellent scopes and I wouldn’t hesitate to take either to any match in the World. I believe NF has an edge over them in the glass department but that comes at a significantly higher price point.

All that said I’m leaving for Phoenix tomorrow and my rifle is wearing a NF.

Zero333, dmoran and Shooter13 like this.
  4. Jet

Jet Gold $$ Contributor

Nightforce Comps have some of the best glass on the market today. Maybe the best (subject to the viewer). Vortex GE has better than average glass and it is good enough for any distance. Question to me boils down to the durability of the scope. I've tested 12-15 Comps and around 6 GEs over the past two years for movement. On average the GEs hold their point of aim (no reticle shift) much more reliably than the NF Comps.

Without digging through my notes I believe if there was movement in the GE it was only on the 1st shot then it settled. NF Comps don't have that good a reputation.

If you want/need absolutely the best glass get the comp. if not, get the GE. It's a great scope for the price at half the price.

Good shooting

Rich

5. dmoran

dmoran Silver $$ Contributor

1. Have looked down both side beside and have to give the Comp the clarity/glass advantage (but not like the GE is bad).
    2. POI shifting... can only go by results I have seen, from which have to give the GE the advantage.
    These are the two main things I care about, with POI shifting being my greatest concern.
    There for, myself pick the GE over the Comp.

But do wonder if NF resolved the shifting issue in new/resent Comp's?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Wooten, teele1, Jet and 3 others like this.
  6. Shooter13

Good luck in your shoot!

7. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Gold $$ Contributor

I started Ftr using a Sightron 8-32 and decided for higher mag to try the GE; my buddy had recently acquired one and liked it. The optical quality was not as good as the Sightron so after shooting season it was returned to Vortex, and a lens was replaced. No better, so I asked for help. Vortex replaced with a new scope, no better. To my eyes the GE had marginal optical clarity, so its been replaced with the new Sightron SV which is equal to the NF Comp clarity for me. Try before you buy to "see" for yourself.

8. Shooter13

Sometimes I equate this to buying a car, they want you to spend 60K after a 10 minute "test" drive! Have a demo day on your rifle with different manufactures there to "sell" you on their equipment........but hey that makes too much sense.

9. Field & Cave

Field & Cave Site $$ Sponsor

I've had experience with both Vortex and NF customer service. In my sampling of 1ea, Vortex wins by a wide margin. That said, I think the old school NF BR12-42 would be worth considering. It's probably more equivalent to the GE from a glass perspective and has performed well for POA holding. They also hold their value very well if you decide it isn't for you. Or, for even less $, the IOR 36 power fixed would be a great choice for a 30BR (if you can find one). If you have NF Comp $ to spend, maybe check out one of the March HM fixed scopes... So many choices.

10. dmoran

dmoran Silver $$ Contributor

@CharlieNC
    Funny I guess, but divergent: I had a SIII SS 8-32x56 that I soon sold after getting a GE, because opposite of your findings, the optical quality of the GE was much better, when I had both to the range for a comparison. Strongly felt the clarity of the GE was particularly better at my distant targets.

Hear it often enough, how peoples vision are not always the same in scopes/optics !.!.!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  11. dragman

dragman Gold $$ Contributor

Have had many of both. Short answer for me is the nightforce has the edge in glass, but the GE has a little nicer eye box. On "bench" guns I prefer the competition. on more tactical type stuff I like the GE. If money is no option I go with the NF but it is close.

dmoran and Dgd6mm like this.
  12. Judd

Judd

I wasn't going to reply because so much good information above that I agree with. So in summary, the Comp is clearer than the GE, the GE is significantly cheaper and the Comp has some moving issues.

What wasn't mentioned above is the reticle...the ECR reticle on the GE is better than the DDR-2...it allows you to hold over for wind with more precise measurements. The only reticles better in my opinion is the March MTR2 and MTR4...only because they have 2x the hashes...they are 1/2 MOA where the GE is 1 MOA.

Good luck.

Field & Cave, dmoran, Jdne5b and 2 others like this.
  13. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

FWIW, I just compared the glass in a GE vs a NF BR. The BR seemed to have a slight edge in image clarity. Looking at the target, the lines appeared a tad fuzzy around the edges with the GE...but not bad at all. Otherwise, they seem very comparable, IMHO.

dmoran likes this.
  14. Falfan2017

Falfan2017 Gold $$ Contributor

In order I’d say
    Nf comp 15-55 has nicest image
    Then nf br 12-42 and about half the cost
    Then ge.

The nf br has a better reputation for holding zero, costs half as much and I doubt the extra image clarity is going to boost your results especially if you’re only doing 100-300 yards.

dmoran likes this.
  15. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Gold $$ Contributor

You are correct; that is why its necessary to look for yourself! By the way the new Sightron SV with ED glass is the best I have personally looked through, and the addition of a fine-focus knob is a useful feature.

Rogmay, Field & Cave and dmoran like this.
  16. Devin Wiggett

Devin Wiggett Gold $$ Contributor

I own both and do alot of shooting at night under lights, the NF has an edge in clarity but not $1000 worth. During the day the mirage usually negates any advantage, the GE has great turrets and egos, and I would not hesitate to buy another. For the same money I would seriously consider the NF benchrest
    Tried and true performer.

BW and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  17. chevytruck_83

chevytruck_83

The biggest difference for me is that Nightforce offers a zero stop.

18. Field & Cave

Field & Cave Site $$ Sponsor

Holy smokes, this is resembling a consensus!

Geno C, Jet and dmoran like this.
  19. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

I was told by a very High level Engineer , The glass in a scope is what the person likes !
    I see greatness you see gloom ?

I have 2 GE , one Sightron 10x50x60 Lum H and Sightron 8x36x56 Lum MOA .

These old eyes like Sightron ..

20. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

Sure like what I read here because I agree.

I shoot both NF Comp DDR and the GE in ECR reticle. Agree with comments. Will add that I feel the eye box on the Nightforce is far superior to the GE. You just have to have the exact eye relief and positioning to get a view with the GE. The Nightforce is far easier to view and, to me, far superior in brightness and clarity to the GE.

I also have and regularly use the NF BR with DDR. It is comparable to the GE in clarity and brightness plus way easier to see through with the most forgiving eye box of the three. All three are good.

As for the NF Comp and it's reported issues with holding zero - maybe? My original testing with a scope checker repeatedly showed that it may have moved. I say "may" because there seemed to be a movement in 16th to 32nds of an inch at 100 yards. Sent it back to NF and was treated well. They tested, adjusted and communicated responsibly. Sent it back and I immediately tested it again. Repeatedly and with vigor - it may have moved that 32nd on first shot and never moved on subsequent ones. I have turned adjustments and turned, used and used and never saw any unexpected change since then.

I like my Competition. Noticed Bart Sauter - World Record Holder, shoots one and many other quality shooters. I really thing they are the best in comparison to all other scopes for clarity, brightness, operation and design. Some have moved. Check and test if you buy one. I think the problem is mostly in the past as NF has stepped up to deal with it on a few occasions.

For the price, you can't go wrong with the GE or the NF Benchrest. They just do not have the optics of the Comp.

Jet and gunsandgunsmithing like this.