VORTEX GOLDEN EAGLE VS NF 15X55-52

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by JerryP, Nov 7, 2019.

1. JerryP

JerryP Silver $$ Contributor

I am looking at buying one of these scopes. It will be used on a 22 bench rest gun. It will be used at 50,100 and maybe 200 yards. Opinions on both please. Price does not matter. Will the GE work out well for me. Thanks.

2. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Gold $$ Contributor

Jerry - the GE HD is a great scope. If you can live with the reticle choices (I would suggest the ECR-1), it should work very well as a BR scope for your .22lr. The optics may show some minor aberration as the mag approaches max power. The turrets are pretty good. The elevation/windage travel values (55/45 MOA) are good. So the GE HD has plenty of mag, good glass, is not hideously expensive, and has many satisfied users.

IMO - the Competition has the better glass. It's not night/day to me, as I generally like Vortex glass, but the Competition glass is better. There has been a lot of talk here about the Competition's erector spring assembly and possible reticle movement. I have had no problems with mine whatsoever. It will cost new about $900 more than the GE. The Competition turrets are great, it has the same elevation and just a tick more windage travel than the GE HD (55/50 MOA). It's a very good scope.

FWIW - I put a NF 12-42x56 BR scope on my modified CZ455 .22lr rifle and have found it to be plenty of scope, although I didn't use a canted base and have limited elevation travel with it. With a 10 to 20 MOA base, you shouldn't have issues with either one of these scopes. Either one of these scopes has plenty of mag, reasonable elevation/windage travel, good glass, etc. IMO - the final choice would boil down to the difference in glass as seen through my own eyes, which brand of scope had the reticle I liked the most, and the difference in price, which is substantial. But you won't go wrong with either one.

For the intended purpose of BR, you might also want to consider some other options. For example, the Kahles 1050 scopes get very good reviews, and Nightforce, IOR-Valdada, and several other manufacturers also make fixed power scopes in the 36X to 44X range that might also be good choices for your described application.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Ragnar, Jet and jimmymac like this.
  3. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

The 12-42 nf br is proven bulletproof. If you can stand the weight, I'd go with it. The GE is heavy as well.

jimmymac likes this.
  4. group therapy

group therapy Gold $$ Contributor

I have the ge and its a great scope and I love the reticle (ecr). having said that if cost is no object, the comp is brighter, has more clarity, might get you in a clique that you might not get in otherwise, and if the reticle moves, nf will make good on it. for 1/2 the money the ge is REALLY close though. good luck sir;)

5. MikeMcCasland

MikeMcCasland Gold $$ Contributor

I've got both. For 50, 100, and 200 yards I'd go GE all day long.

My eyes see a pretty sizeable difference in glass quality between the two, but it's not really a factor until 300+ yards (for whatever reason). Up close, my GEs have been fine.

Although I haven't personally had issues with my NF, I have seen an issue in person, and I'm leery of their adjustments. My confidence is higher in the GE in terms of tracking/POI stability.

I do find the NF reticles more appealing though.

I'd go with the less expensive GE and call it good.

Jdne5b likes this.
  6. ridgeway

ridgeway Silver $$ Contributor

Check out the new Sightron fixed 45x. Glass is brighter than the GE and close to NF. I trust the POA on the Sightron...

mikeeg02, 20PPC, dstoenner and 2 others like this.
  7. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

I have both. If price doesn't matter get the NF.

the GE is an excellent scope for the money.

dogdude and group therapy like this.
  8. milanuk

milanuk Gold $$ Contributor

Not sure that less than 2 oz. difference (listed as 27.87 oz vs. 29.7) qualifies as 'heavy as well', compared to the BR that weighs 36 oz. I understand that in some builds though, ounces count...

Jdne5b likes this.
  9. Vodoun daVinci

Vodoun daVinci

I fell in love with the GE because I love that ECR-1 reticle but settled on an Athlon Argos BTR 10-40X56. Same/similar reticle with "good" glass (not as good as Vortex or Nightforce) and 1/3rd the price.

https://athlonoptics.com/product/argos-btr-10-40x50-blr/

Don't even need a better scope now. I love this thing. Tracks perfectly out to 600 yards so far, the detents/clicks are not as crisp as I'd like but definitely not mushy. I have read reports of the hash marks on the turrets not lining up exactly with the detent but that has not been the case with mine. Nice scope for the money.

VooDoo

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    SPJ likes this.
  10. Down South

Down South FTR Junkie Gold $$ Contributor

Either will work fine for what you want. I have both, the NF Comp has a little bit better glass IMO but not a big difference. The GE is a great scope though and is hard to beat for the money. Others have mentioned the NF Benchrest if weight isn't a issue. I second that as well, the Benchrest is a great scope and you can't go wrong with that one either. I would put the Benchrest glass on par with the GE, to my eyes anyway.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  11. beemanjohn

beemanjohn Silver $$ Contributor

If those are your only two options, I would go with the GE. I belong to a small club, and there is only two guys shooting the NF comp. One of the two had (has) the famous POI problem. He sent it to NF for repair and they told him it was fine and the problem is his scope rings. (which is what they tell everyone who has that problem) I'm still not sure they fixed it, he just does not shoot as well as he did when he used an old BR scope.
    The option I would take a hard look at is the Trijicon 5-50x56. The street price is about $350 or so more than the GE, and it really is on a whole 'nother level. (pretty big for a .22 though) And heavy if that matters.

12. slm9s

slm9s Gold $$ Contributor

Another vote for the NF.

13. A-Rob

A-Rob Silver $$ Contributor

I had a GE briefly and it seemed like a great scope. The turrets, side focus, etc. we're all top notch and the glass was crisp, etc. If you are doing nothing but bench shooting I don't think you'll have any complaints, especially based on the ton of reports showing it hold POA. The only reason I sold mine was to go with a lower power 8-32 Vudu that was a hair more versatile for non-benchrest shooting. I might not shoot much at 8x but I wanted a lower low end range.

14. 69mach

69mach Silver $$ Contributor

I shot a local silhouette match with the Nightforce comp on my Annie and a golden eagle I borrowed from a friend on my 10/22. I like the nf better bc it’s mine and I’m familiar with it but other than that after shooting the golden eagle it’s on my Christmas list and has an attractive price.

15. beemanjohn

Ever feel like you are talking to yourself? We get all of these OP's that ask a question and then never answer back.

16. JerryP

I apologize for not answering. I appreciate all of the opinions. It is a tough decision. I have decided for now to go with a fixed March scope. In the spring I may need another scope and it will be the GE. Thank you again.

17. beemanjohn

A fixed power scope is a great option for short range work. Hope it works out for you.

18. JerryP