Vortex Golden Eagle Versus Nightforce Benchrest

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by zanemoseley, Dec 6, 2016.

1. zanemoseley

zanemoseley

So is there enough real world experience yet with the golden eagle to really compare it well to the NF Benchrest? I'm curious how it stacks up.

2. Willow

Willow

Well I prefer my Golden Eagle over the Nightforce Competition. I find the scope far easier to get behind with a more forgiving eyebox and longer eye relief, and I give a slight edge to the Vortex in terms of glass. I prefer the larger turrets over the NF also.

dmoran likes this.
  3. thejamesd

thejamesd Silver $$ Contributor

I don't know about the Vortex but I'll second that the NF Competition has a tuff eye box.
    James

dmoran likes this.
  4. Willow

Willow

Trust me, for a 15-60x scope, the eyebox on the Vortex is fanastic. I've owned March which is great to look through when you're set up properly, but the March always took a bit more care and effort than the Vortex, I don't even have to try, it's simply easy and straightforward to obtain a great sight picture. The NF is more critical on eye relief and the couple that I have gotten behind have taken a bit of effort to get comfortable behind.

5. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

The eyebox doesn't win shoots, holding point of impact does. Matt

6. Willow

Willow

I don't think the Vortex has a problem in this regard either.

Regnar and Dgd6mm like this.
  7. Judd

Judd Gold $$ Contributor

When comparing the ECR to the NP2DD reticle there really is no comparison...you can actually use the horizontal bar to hold wind...the NF (while a great scope) has to much space between the dot and the post for me to effectively use to hold wind accurately. The ECR solves that problem. I've used it for one match and I'm impressed thus far.

8. dondlhmn

dondlhmn

The reticle can NOT be one that you can't get along with...once you get to a certain point, optically and have good, repeatable turrets/tracking, the reticle you are using can make all the difference in the world.

9. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Well, as soon as tom get his Vortex its going on the scope checker.... If it holds zero it will be the best deal out. After seeing some high dollar stuff not hold up, I have no confidence in any scope until its been thoroughly tested. The only two scopes I feel confident enough to use are the 10-60 march and NF 12-42 BR scope. I really hope this Vortex hold up too.

10. jghoghunter

jghoghunter Gold $$ Contributor

Alex have you been able to check a GE with the scope checker yet?

11. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

12. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

I do not have one to check yet.

Tom

13. rifleman700

rifleman700

Any update yet?

14. wang243

wang243 Silver $$ Contributor

Alex..Tom
    Any updates on the scope checker run on the Vortex GE?
    Thanks

15. Travelor

Travelor

How are the optics on the GE? Specifically the clarity and brightness compared to the NF Competition.

16. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

Don't wait on me, I cancelled my order as the wait was to much. Maybe the next off season they'll be caught up and I'll have interest again.

Tom

17. thekriebles

thekriebles Silver $$ Contributor

18. Rob01

Rob01

19. cs700

cs700

FWIW here's my amateur review of the Vortex GE vs Nightforce 12-42 BR. I now own both. The GE is now mounted on a Savage Model 12 BR in 6BRX. I just got it zeroed at 100 yards yesterday. The clarity is just as good as the NF. To me the eye relief is about the same. The side parallax adjustment on the GE can be a little touchy but the key was the eye focus. I like the larger target turrets on the GE. Positive clicks not mushy feeling. Good tracking going from 100 yards to 300 yards & back. A shooting friend has had one for a couple of months & this past weekend at a BR event several NF Competition owners looked through his GE & said the glass was just as clear & bright as their Competition. The GE ECR-1 reticle is better than the NF NP2DD because is more precise of wind call adjustments IMO. To me the biggest advantage the Vortex GE has is that it's a comparable scope to the NF Competition but at almost 1k less cost.

20. JimPag

JimPag Silver $$ Contributor

I'll let you know what happened to a friend of mine who a lot of people know out there for making match bullets, he bought a GE and the thing was terrible. It wasn't sharp, clear, bright and anything else, just a turd. He called Vortex and told him the situation, and they suggested one thing, leave the scope sitting in direct sunlight on a warm sunny day for about 5 hours. He did that, and after that, the scope has been great. Something about the argon gas not being distributed evenly through the scope when it was assembled. Well whatever, it did the trick.