Volquartsen 17 wsm

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by Mark McMahon, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Mark McMahon

Mark McMahon Silver $$ Contributor

Was looking at the Volquartsen 17 WSM anybody have any experience with this cartridge or this rifle, what are your thoughts, thanks..

2. B23

B23

I have a 17 WSM in a HB SS Bmag that I put in a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock and had it bed. It shoots extremely well and definitely hits harder than any of my other rimfires, especially, when you start getting out past 100 yards. It's definitely my favorite rimfire, BUT, I don't know that I like it enough to spend the kind of money one of those VQ 17 WSM's cost though.

For what one of those VQ's cost, you could get a CZ 527 Varmint 17 Hornet with a pretty nice scope. I like my 17 WSM a lot but I like my CZ 527 17 Hornet a whole lot more.

Greg Taylor and Tommie like this.
  3. Mark McMahon

Mark McMahon Silver $$ Contributor

4. Flatfishhunter

Flatfishhunter

Mark,
    I have one of the Volquartsen 17 WSMs and am not sure about it. I got it in time for last years ground squirrel trip, but couldn't use it due to magazine problems. I tried three different mags (at $80 ea) and three different brands of ammo, but nothing would feed properly. I could get the first round off, but that was it. Additionally the trigger was way heavy, and could not be adjusted as they claimed. Evidently someone got heavy handed with the Locktite and the adjustment screw wouldn't budge. I sent it back to the factory, and they said they were having a problem w/ their mags. After some time I got it back with 3 new mags. I have tried it just once, and it seems to pick up the second round now. The mags are an absolute pain to load. I'm still hoping it shoots well, but so far it's not worth the money or effort. My Savage 17hmrs are bullet proof.

5. scope eye

scope eye

A nasty round it is, I have both a Savage heavy barrel and a pencil barrel version in B Mag, and am always surprised the first time I fire it when I take it out for a hunt. I also do like my 17 HMRs

Dean

6. B23

B23

Curious, have you by chance shot any groups with it? From what I have seen most have been shooting right around 1in. groups which isn't terrible but certainly not what you'd expect from a gun that cost this much. Don't feel bad, I've read that there is some Franklin Armory 17 WSM owners that aren't very happy with their semi auto 17 WSM's too.

7. Flatfishhunter

Flatfishhunter

I have not shot groups yet, but will do so soon.