Vietnam Veteran's Stories

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by kvd, Feb 14, 2018.

1. kvd

kvd Silver $$ Contributor

2. Willie

Willie Gold $$ Contributor

I was encouraged to go back to Vietnam and see those places again.
    I told them "No Way in Hell". Been there twice, made it home twice. For the life of me, I can't imagine going back.

mike06, M-61, nakneker and 9 others like this.
  3. muleman69

muleman69 USMC -1st marine Div. RVN Gold $$ Contributor

Once was enough, could not do that

4. dedogs

dedogs Gold $$ Contributor

What I lost over there (Faith in our government) cannot be found by going back. dedogs

M-61, 40X Guy, nakneker and 8 others like this.
  5. Ray B

Ray B

I've talked to other vets that did go back and see the places where this or that happened. they say there's healing in it. I've had a few relatives die in traffic accidents and I don't see any healing when I happen to drive past those locations. But most of all, with regard to Vietnam, I don't want to listen to the new governments revision of history about how they beat the US at the Battle of Khe Sanh, Hue, Quang Tri and a few other locations taken and held by Marines until we stood-down.

6. mr45man

mr45man Gold $$ Contributor

The boots on the ground did not loose the war, the government did.

7. 300_whisper

300_whisper Gold $$ Contributor

As what’s happening in Afghanistan right now.

8. muleman69

muleman69 USMC -1st marine Div. RVN Gold $$ Contributor

What is really killing me is the damn gooks moved in all around us now growing dope. Wish I could ship them south and let Hanoi Jane and her commie buddys feed them. (I'm off thread again, but hard not to vent)

9. joed49

joed49

I have nothing against Vietnam but I hold contempt for the US Politicians that get us into these never ending wars and the defense contractors that make billions off the wars. I see no reason to go back, I'm not trying to relive something. After 50 years does anyone think they will see something to remember? If you can't put it behind you on your own you never will.

Macropod, Milo 2.0 and JRS like this.
  10. Rick in Oregon

Rick in Oregon

I have no feeling of need to ever go back to that place. Hot, humid, bug and snake infested craphole. Back then we called it the a$$hole of the world, and for good reason.

Hammer47, Willie and Milo 2.0 like this.
  11. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

I was living in Green River, WY. (at the time) when I picked up a newspaper and read an article about a Vietnam statue dedication to be held in Evanston, WY. General Westmoreland was to be the key speaker. The wife and I jumped in our truck and headed out. We got there a little early and lots of people were just milling around. I started looking around and spotted a man in a military uniform. It was General Westmoreland. I made a beeline toward him. Had no idea what I was going to say. Anyway, long story short, I introduced my self and shook his hand. He asked when I had been in Vietnam and we talked for awhile. Finally a guy in a suit approached and told the General it was time to get started. He turned toward me, looked me right in the eyes and said, "son, we could have won that war if the politicians would have let us". I stammered, yes sir. We shook hands and he walked off.

mike06, rckendall, nakneker and 2 others like this.
  12. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

Westmoreland had complete freedom of action. He failed us. He was on a treadmill, and his war of attrition didn't work.

Milo 2.0 likes this.
  13. dannyjbiggs

dannyjbiggs

Had 2 tours there. Been back several times since...oh, that's via "Google Earth";).

Dan

Milo 2.0 likes this.
  14. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla

Nope .. I could go on but don't wanna offend the constituancy here

Milo 2.0 likes this.
  15. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

Nope! I had enough the first time. I still can't get the smell out of my nose.

Milo 2.0 likes this.
  16. M-61

M-61 "Quis Separabit" Gold $$ Contributor

Weird. I left the US and went to VietNam. When I came back to the US it was not the place I once knew. Never.

mr45man, nakneker, muleman69 and 6 others like this.
  17. Willie

Willie Gold $$ Contributor

Oh! So you were a "corpseman", according to BHO.

18. Flouncer

Flouncer What the heck it works for me !! Gold $$ Contributor

Missed the draft by a single year. I am glad all you who posted survived and live today. Thank you for your service.

19. New Gun

New Gun Gold $$ Contributor

I missed the Draft as well. Bothers me these days. Thank you for serving gentleman.

muleman69 likes this.
  20. rebel

rebel Gold $$ Contributor

Born in '65, grew up with that war. Have a lot of good friends that served in that war. I salute all of you that served there.
    May you find peace and solace. You represent what my little generation became ( gen x ). We don't trust sh$t.
    Each and every one of you have my utmost respect.

nakneker, TonyinKY, FFEMT and 2 others like this.