Vias for LR vermin-sort of??

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by Ogre6br, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Ogre6br

Ogre6br

HI
    Just thinking about this and would love your learned advice on this........

Years ago there was an article about the .224 Vias- Was interested at the time but ran out of $$ to persue it.

Now that I have my own reamer I was thinking of making a 6mm Vias- sort of??
    On a 1:8 Barrel I plan to use a 6.5x55 body reamer to initially make the chamber then make/finish the neck and shoulder with my .272 6BR Norma reamer to go guage length,with slight crush.

Should give me a 30 Degree 6mmBRx55mm.
    Should be easily be able to get 3800++ fps with a 75 V-max with mild pressure using Lapua Brass. Maybe even 3700 with the 87 V-Max or 90 Scenar.

Suggestions, opnions, advice-- love to hear what you think of this idea??

later
    P

2. Wild_Bill

Wild_Bill

Hi ogre you could use the 6.5 for the body and the 6mm for the neck and throat at that is what we are doing here to make a 30-284 use the 284 for the body and a 308 for the neck/throat but you might run into problems changing the shoulder angle as the body taper on the br is different than the 6.5 if you just neck and throat the 6.5 body you will still be able to use standard 6.5 dies as body dies and make your own neck die or you could get a type s Full die for the 6.5x55 and use a 6mm bushing and make a 6mm seater or use a universal seater.

Cheers Bill
    Australia

Ogre i looked back through dimensions and you may be able to just long chamber with the 6mm BR reamer to make a 6mmx55BR the larger base on the 6.5x55 may work with the extra depth of the chamber i would go this route if you try to use two reamers and have a tapered step in the side of the case and chamber you will have troubles sizing and accuracy see if you can have a barrel deep chambered and then neck down a 6.5x55 case in a 6mm BR to give the same case neck and shoulder diameter then see how it will fit in the deep chamber.

Cheers Bill

3. lawndart

lawndart

George Vais is my gunsmith here in Boise, Idaho, USA. I have to go pick up a rifle from him tomorrow. I will copy your question and run it past him. I'll post another reply on this forum in the next day or two.

lawndart

4. VaRandy

VaRandy Silver $$ Contributor

for those still wondering about the .224 Vais, I have one!

5. OKyote73

OKyote73

Any updates on this? Would like to know

6. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

I think I have a PS edition that details the Vais. OKyote73, do you need a copy? I can look

snert

7. VaRandy

VaRandy Silver $$ Contributor

I have a drawing of the cartridge if it will help you.

8. Phil

Phil Gold $$ Contributor

Drawings always help........;)

9. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

April 98 PS by L D Standish. King of the Dueces. Made from 6.5 x 55. George Vais design, Kiff made the tooling. Lists an 80 grain JLK at 3773 FPS, 2828 at 500 drop of 22+ inches at 500

Copies of article on PDF to your email if you PM request

Snert

PS..this is for the 22 VAis

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017