Varminter hunters using mirage shield

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by K9TXS, Aug 30, 2019.

1. K9TXS

K9TXS

I don't think heat tape would work very well. The tape goes on fairly tight. This would definitely effect the barrel harmonics. I think it could help hold the heat in as well instead of the heat being allowed to disperse outward away from the barrel. Years back motorcycle riders would put it on the exhaust from the manifold to the muffler. This would help keep the heat off their legs.

2. 5spd

5spd

No effect on my shooting, shoots the same with it on or off, does not shange impact. One could do a scientific test I guess, but just wasting time IMO. Its loose fitting, hardly any weight on the barrel even when kept wet.

3. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Interesting
    What does the military use for wrap ?

4. K9TXS

K9TXS

Not really sure. My son's a pilot in the 101st Airborne and he sent me a photo not too long ago showing a group of soldiers in his helicopter as they were leaving. I could only see a couple of the long guns and one had something that looked like burlap. The other one had nothing but a paint job.

5. chuckshooter

chuckshooter Silver $$ Contributor

When shooting Pdogs this July with 5spd, it was so hot our guns would not cool down, it didn't take long before everyone in the group was dipping a towel in the ice chest and cooling our barrels. 5spd had his spray bottle next to his bench, so he could keep his wrap wet. you have to do something and this worked, as far as a change in point of impact, hard to tell when shooting at dogs.

6. chuckshooter

chuckshooter Silver $$ Contributor

I did set a new distance record, 5spd do you remember the distance?

7. K9TXS

K9TXS

I agree. I'm shooting a 20 vartarg and I think for PD and Sage Rats it will be great. In the next week or so I plan on do some test as mentioned earlier. I think the results will be good.

8. 5spd

5spd

It just hit me.....than was just to darn funny. Gimmie that gun one is attacking us at 13 yards.

9. CT10ring

CT10ring Gold $$ Contributor

You are varmint shooting. Not hunting. Don't use a heat shield. Bring 2-3 rifles. toss a wet towel on the bbl. It's not going to rust. Shoot thru the mirage. and open the action, set it upright. wrap a towel on the bbl, then pick up rifle #2. then #3. Don't overthink it. sir. :). that is - throw a damp piece of fabric on your barrel.

old leghumper likes this.
  10. CT10ring

yes. ditto, nailed it.

11. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Silver $$ Contributor

We kept things simple. New or used 200 yard benchrest targets, cut in 3" strips, using masking tape or duct tape, make to length as you want. Curl a piece of tape to stick to the barrel and mirage shield. Later on, we used double stick velcro on the mirage shields....never left home with out them, along with simple wind flags. Shooting p.dogs and chucks with out a wind flag was like shooting in the blind.

Wind flag= 42" x1/4" steel rod-drilled to accept bicycle spoke-bend end 90*, 1/2" yarn-24" length= very effective wind dope.

We have cooled barrels by using water down the bore since 1987, no bad results on SS and chrome moly barrels.

CT10ring likes this.
  12. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Silver $$ Contributor

I like 3-3.5" wide

13. CT10ring

never used a mirage shield. or a wind flag.
    Just a bipod, +TAB rear bags.
    When my barrel gets hot, I drop damp towel on it, or blow over it.
    yup, works.
    Then rifle 2. then 3.
    mirage, grass waving, and more tell all needed. Spot your misses. Well, for me. Good fun, however done. :). "Keep it simple", my motto. Since I am... holding off 5' is 1/2 the challenge.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  14. K9TXS

K9TXS

I agree. I use to shoot a 45-70 and used black powder. After about 5 shots, a soaking wet patch went down the bore, sometimes another. It was followed up by maybe 3 dry patches. If the last patch came out showed or felt the least bit damp, one last patch would follow.

I just haven't used this method yet on my newer rifles, but will soon.

15. fantastic

fantastic

Thanks a lot for this.