Varget Relief?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Rset, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Rset

Rset

Just found 6# of Varget had been newly delivered to my local Bass Pro (yesterday afternoon). Hopefully it will start to flow soon to other locations.

JEFFPPC, Bluetip, Don and 6 others like this.
  2. Retired Grunt

Retired Grunt Gold $$ Contributor

My Store didn't have any, Website shows 1lber's and will ship to the store.

3. M-61

M-61 "Quis Separabit" Gold $$ Contributor

I was caught up in the Varget craze a few years ago. I found it becoming my powder for quite a few cartridges.
    They then had a 'shortage'. Then the price became prohibitive on the rare occasion it did start to reappear.
    I started what I had done years ago. Working up loads with other powders that were available and the results were equally as good. And the powders were available.
    Varget and I parted ways permanently.
    Don't know what their problem is and thankfully I no longer care.

dave7mm, Danley, Dgd6mm and 3 others like this.
  4. std7mag

std7mag

Varget isn't the only powder to become scarce lately. RL26 is equally hard to find right now.

Mark W likes this.
  5. bozo699

bozo699 Gold $$ Contributor

As is H-1000 Retumbo and several others
    Wayne

Mark W likes this.
  6. Bill Norris

Bill Norris Silver $$ Contributor

Myrtle Beach S C Bass Pro Store still showing out of stock as well for most popular Hodgdon powders.

7. std7mag

std7mag

At almost $40 a pound, the local Field & Scream, turned Sportsmans Warehouse inly had 5 jugs of powder on the shelf.

And nothing that i use.

8. Kurz

Kurz

Get used to the shortages. This is the new model being used by manufacturers and their distributors. Short run manufacturing which encourages hording through the fear of not getting enough to cover your needs and creates a fast sell out. Then the long wait for the supply chain to get recharged by the manufacturers. This was first noticed when H-4350 went dry about eight years ago.

The H folks don't manufacture anything because they contract their line of powders through Australia. A limitation of quantities of powders per container per ship, a huge dock strike and we get nothing or darn little. IMR comes down from Canada so we have border problems. Winchester is made by St. Marks in Florida and rarely do I see or hear of them being out of stock. The rest of the brands are imported from Scandinavia, Belgium, Switzerland and Eastern Europe. Supply chains from overseas are just as bad as using Australia as a manufacturer/supplier.

This model is seeping into the rest of component market also...

9. Bindi2

Bindi2

Kurz
    Don't think the Aussies are any better off. The new ADI powder plant is the problem they cant get the mix right.

10. bozo699

I just looked today I have 32 lbs same lot and 14 more of another glad I was hoarding a few years ago I found three lbs of Varget a couple weeks ago didn’t count that I think I left it in town house but it’s scarce here in Northern Idaho also. So is H-1000 and Retumbo! Seems like most of the Winchester and Western powders are available and quite a bit of Alliant powders also.
    Wayne

Bill Norris likes this.
  11. murray brook

murray brook Silver $$ Contributor

The powder that we have trouble finding up here in Canada is RL-26. Seems to be none anywhere.

12. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

The last run of varget is hot hot, the current lot is very cool. Way different than the past 10yrs of consistency we had. Never put all your eggs in one basket- have alternate powders available. Cant stress this enough. When theres a shortage it shouldnt even concern you

WyleWD, Mark W, M-61 and 2 others like this.
  13. bozo699

It would
    It would concern you if your 1000 yd Benchrest rifle ate varget and there wasn’t any!....

Baka likes this.
  14. 46and2

46and2

Remember, Hodgdon does not and never has manufactured any smokeless powder.
    They are marketers, the entire company's history is relabeling other people's powder. Screenshot_20200223-075331_Chrome.jpg

15. corning

corning

Is varget really as good as people say it is, or is it just "legend"?

16. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Gold $$ Contributor

Here you go:

Varget Relief.jpg

17. bobm

bobm Silver $$ Contributor

Correction, Ned. Varget relief comes in plastic containers marked Vihta Vuori N140.

Jdne5b and bozo699 like this.
  18. bozo699

n140 is great powder and meters really well!
    Wayne

19. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

It does eat alot of it but i know other powders to use incase i run out. Never be stuck with one component- always know the alternatives and how to implement them very quickly. I had powder go bad on me- like 100lbs- but it never affected me. I know that once i work up a load itll be different next week anyway so you always gotta get to know multiple components. What if you couldnt get lapua brass? What if your favorite bullet was no longer mfrd? This happened with the amax guys on the bullets. The good shooters moved on, the less confident scrounged and panicked. Some can make br brass from 308 brass- some pay $150 or more for a box. Its all about being prepared and practicing to be well rounded.

LA50SHOOTER, Acyr and bozo699 like this.
  20. bozo699

Dusty
    I agree with this100% but it is always a concern!.... not the end of the world but a concern! I can use 4895 in place of varget in my 6brx or rl15 I just don’t want to!... and don’t plan too I’ll find another quantity and buy it all. Always enjoy your posts.
    Wayne

Dusty Stevens likes this.