V22 Repeater - Too much fun!

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by flatlander, Dec 5, 2017.

1. SDWhirlwind

SDWhirlwind

Rob01-Them some huge rimfire cases in the bed of that truck!!!!! Must be a magnum eh??? :eek:

The thought and ingenuity that went into the design of this V-22 just fascinates me!! Wonder how many more 'next century ideas' are floating around in that melon of Mr Bush's???? :eek:

2. Rob01

Rob01

LOL Yeah those .22 mags run large. ;) They held a centerfire match a week or so ago and like most places I am sure don't clean out the brass people don;t want.

I met with Mike at his house a couple months back and talked to him for about 3 hours as we looked over his lab. That man is cutting edge and knows his stuff. There will be more good stuff coming from Vudoo in the future for sure.

3. flatlander

flatlander

Rob01 - I share your opinion & admiration for Mike's design abilities - expect that's a big reason that Savage hired him to direct their engineering dept.

Have you had a close-up or magnified look at the extractor/pusher parts out of a V-22? They've got bevels precisely cut on both bottom & top edges. That surprised me at first, but then I remembered that Mike's got a left hand version of the V-22 action already designed - by putting the bevels on both top & bottoms of these parts, they can be used in either right or left hand actions. Honestly, the first thing that impressed me about these parts was how precisely these bevels were cut, and I had to wonder how such small parts were made with such precision. A good friend has had several conversations with Paul at VGW, who told him that these parts are wire EDM'd. Cutting edge, indeed - just compare the precision these parts (which, after all, are critical to the smooth feeding & excellent extraction of the V-22) to the same OEM parts out of a modified Rem 40X or XB. My friend was thinking that careful hand-cut imitation of the bevels of the V-22 extractor & pusher would improve the feeding of his Jelrod-converted 40X repeater, and after come careful work on the repro parts he purchased to replace his rifle's OEM parts, now has it feeding really well, very close to how well my V-22 works. There are three of us here who've sent 40Xs to Jonathan for the repeater conversion, and two of us are very pleased with our rifles (the third friend is still waiting on his 40X to come back from jelrod).

4. NWnewguy

NWnewguy Silver $$ Contributor

I got my V-22 a couple of days ago and finally got a scope mounted today. It was a true delight. I have bought a ton of high end tactical stuff that just didn't work worth a darn. I could give you a pretty good list but won't here. This thing was accurate with cheap ammo at just under 1/2" at 50 yds. It fed and ejected just like you would like it to and the magazine changes were nearly indentical to my full size match rifle. I have a Stiller 2500Xr and the action on the Vudoo is substantially more robust and more like a real match action. I can't say enough good about this thing so far. It's a pleasant surprise to have high expectations for something and then to not be disappointed. Wish I could post pics, but I haven't gotten up to speed since photo bucket screwed up the entire internet!

5. USMCDOC

USMCDOC Silver $$ Contributor

Good to see that you are enjoying it.. as for photos.. you don't need photobucket.. just upload them directly to the site via the "Upload a File" button

6. longbow

longbow Silver $$ Contributor

PLEASE....STOP! I cant take it, what can I sell....thank God I called Vudoo the other day and they had not yet opened. A reprieve for another day, now a weekend. Damn Monday is coming up ! What to do, so little time,so little $$$$$....Isn't life great !!! LOL I'll have an order in soon.......

missed likes this.
  7. flatlander

flatlander

The bbl channel of the Manners Elite T4A stock I used for my Vudoo V22 build was making contact on the shank of the Krieger sendero contour blank I used - since I often bed 3/4 to one inch of the shanks of my CF rifles, I left this contact area alone when I put the bbl'd action into the stock. However, after having moved the 40XB Elrod repeater over to a T4A w/DBM mini chassis with no bbl contact, and finding that its Lilja titebore bbl shot considerably better with the 100% free-floated bbl, I pulled the V22 out of its stock and relieved the rear of the bbl channel to the point where the bbl was 100% floated. I'm seeing an improvement in accuracy since then - not a huge improvement, since it was shooting pretty good before - but definitely better at 200yds. Weather's finally decided it's winter, so there haven't been any chances to test it at 100 since doing the work on the bbl channel, but I'm hoping we'll see some moderation one of these days so I can get out to do more shooting with it at that distance.

I'd be interested in hearing from any of you who've bought complete V22 rifles from VGW - are your barrels 100% floated, or is there some contact back at the shank of the bbl?

8. moondog

moondog Gold $$ Contributor

I've got one coming, but going with Mark Chanlynn for the barrel and chamber job.
    He has a little bit of experience with 22 stuff. I will see how it goes.
    I need to get rid of an Anschutz, CZ, and Savage to justify this one!

9. missed

missed

I'm looking forward to getting one. I'll be selling my CZ to knock A dent in the cost.

10. RAVAGE88

RAVAGE88

V22L is launching in January, assembling three now for testing before opening the flood gates.

MB

missed likes this.
  11. flatlander

flatlander

Can you feed us more info on this Mike? Just what is the V22L?

12. Rob01

Rob01

Left handed V22.

13. RAVAGE88

RAVAGE88

If you're going to SHOT, look for us in the following booths:

XLR Industries--7109
    Timney Triggers--1411
    Manners Stocks--20005
    GA Precision--20005
    Hawkins Precision--343
    Mile High Shooting--7502
    Amtac Suppressors--4462

MB

14. flatlander

flatlander

Would be a lot of fun to head out to Vegas for SHOT to meet Mike, Paul, & the rest of the crew, but it won't happen for me this year.

RAVAGE88 likes this.
  15. RAVAGE88

RAVAGE88

I'm sure we'll catch up soon Flat.

MB

16. RAVAGE88

RAVAGE88

MB

USMCDOC, missed and azshooter like this.